Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2002 5:48:56 AM EDT
What are the advantages of concealed carry over open carry. When I tell people I want to have concealed carry here in Kansas. Some will say, why you can already open carry? And I don't think I have a really good answer for that. Please help me make one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:52:20 AM EDT
Open carry opens you up to possible gun-grab. In other words, you maybe assaulted by someone who wants your gun. Then, there are too many sheeple out there who will call the cops and even though you are acting legally, you will be harrassed. Not only that, but the police may harrass you of their own volition. These are just a few of the many reasons, but I have a meeting now so someone else will have to pick up where I left off...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:02:54 AM EDT
I concur with Chimbo. Open carry is legal in Arizona. Most people don't react to it, but the snowbirds and some others recoil when they see someone in street clothes with a cocked-n-locked .45 on their hip. Not worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:15:16 AM EDT
Open carry is fine if you're just concerned with being able to carry. However, there are people who don't react well to seeing armed civilians walking around. Concealed carry guarantees that these people won't be upset until they get into a situation where they wish someone could do something. Also, open carry may act as a deterrence to crime in an immediate sense, but concealed carry acts as a full time deterrence. Would you rather someone know if anyone's carrying by looking, or keep them guessing? If it's important for them to know, it's a good time to be carrying concealed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:19:23 AM EDT
As Chimbo & KB have pointed out open carry in todays climate of "sheeple fear" could bring the unwanted attention which carrying concealed avoids. Personally I believe concealed to be much safer than open, 'cus carried properly nobody but you will know. Old and new FBI crime reports state that criminals have a serious fear of picking victims in conceal carry states for that one reason. Probably why crime drops in concealed carry states. Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:24:58 AM EDT
I think both have advantages. The more the sheeple and the coppers are exposed to open carry, the better off we all will be. That said, I'd rather have the bad guys not know I'm armed until it's too late for them. What's a mother to do?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:31:32 AM EDT
Note: I live in an open carry state, and have seen it 2x in public areas. Here's why I don't care for it: A. Leaves you open to a grab for your weapon B. Attracts attention from criminals-yo're the first to go down in a robbery C. Attracts attention from LEO's. In an urban area, that's bound to be bad. D. It lets the mindless majority (the "swing voters")who don't think about guns or self defense in their daily lives know that people are allowed to carry weapons. Believe it or not, 95% of the people I run into in this shall-issue state have absolutely no clue that carrying a gun is even an option for nonLEO's! Most of them have a negative reaction to this revelation. I don't want that to inpinge on my right to carry, so I keep my gun hidden around strangers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:40:40 AM EDT
Excellent topic & one I've been struggling with lately myself. Here in Ohio, open carry is and has been legal for a long time and yet I don't do it. I keep asking myself why I don't, when if permitted (CCW) I'd carry all the time. Part of it has to do with laws re: transporting firearms here. You can't have the weapon and ammo within reach in your vehicle, so if I did choose to carry open I'd have to unlock the trunk of my vehicle, load a magazine, cycle the action & put the pistol in my holster in the parking lot of any business I wanted to carry in. Definately not PC - albeit entirely legal. Secondly, as someone has already mentioned, I wouldn't want everybody to know I was carrying unless they needed to know (if that makes sense). Third, I don't want the hassle from gasping sheeple who would certainly take the "safe" approach if the saw me carrying (read a thorough shake down from LEO's, even if it is legal.) When I actually do feel a need to carry, I do it concealed and "takes my chances".
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2002 9:15:44 AM EDT by Bostonterrier97]
So many pros and cons: Too bad I live in a state where I can really do neither. Here is my take on Open Carry: Pros: (1.) Open Carry is good because it will desensitize fence sitting sheeple and LEO's that it is ok for non-leo's to carry. (Con: Not enough people are going to be Carrying in the Open to really make an impact in the State's Population to have this effect anyway) (2.) Open Carry causes people to be a little more polite to you because they are afraid of you, and it causes criminals to not immediately target you. (Con: But in a robbery you will be taret number one. Con: it also allows for an attempt at a gun grab.) Cons: (1.) It causes Fence sitting Sheeple to react negatively and they will respond by urging their legislature to change the law to ban open carry. (2.) It invites harrassment from LEO's. (On the other hand: if no one did open carry, then pretty soon cops would disreguard the fact that it is legal, and you would gradually end up in a situation in a state that even though it is legal and you may have a constitutional right to do so, Cops will still treat you like a criminal anyway.) (3.) Concealed Carry is more effective than Open Carry in detering crime, because they have to "guess" who is carrying or not. (Maybe maybe not. Some criminals just literally don't think things through. I know that everyone cites "statistics" showing that states with concealed carry have lower rates of crime than states without concealed carry..and this may be true at the State Level..BUT it is at the LOCAL level that we EXPERIENCE crime in. A list of the 25 most DANGEROUS Shopping Malls in terms of crime can be found at: [url]http://www.apbnews.com/resourcecenter/datacenter/crimecheck/mallcrime/searchResults2.asp[/url] You will notice that Florida even though it allows concealed carry tops the list in having the MOST (in numbers of) Dangerous Malls. And Tennessee has the Nations most Dangerous Mall (the Southgate Shopping Center in Memphis) You can check the crime in your neighborhood with: [url]http://www.apbnews.com/resourcecenter/datacenter/index.html[/url] and typing in your local zip code You can also go here to get a breakdown of crime in your neighborhood as compared to the National Average - Percentage wise [url]http://www.crime.com/info/crime_stats/crime_stats.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:35:15 PM EDT
Society is safest when criminals don't know which one of their potential victims is armed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 3:31:36 AM EDT
Open carry: If it starts to rain, your gun would get wet. [:P]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:57:05 AM EDT
Just like Karate, which I'm told means "empty hands", concealed carry doesn't send the wrong message. In fact, it sends no message.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:11:02 AM EDT
I would pick concealed over open carry just for the fact that I know there are people out there that would blow the head off immidiately of someone with an open carried weapon, vice just robbing someone who they believe has no weapon at all. Open carry forces criminals to be more violent to get what they want. Let `em keep guessing, and give them no information on your readiness status.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:11:40 AM EDT
The element of surprise is a good one to have.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:04:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GovtThug: Open carry: If it starts to rain, your gun would get wet.
View Quote
Personally, I get cranky if my gun doesnt get wet every now and then... [;)] Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:44:13 AM EDT
well I have an Idea. it might not go over well but it actually does make sense. we all possess ar-15 right, well in some of the less densly populated areas why not carry them on a tac slick on you chest or back. since you are carrying openly you don't have to carry a handgun, and if it were on a sling it would be a rather bad Idea to try to it steal from some one. I know that this is in no way politiacally correct, but if you really think about it it makes a lot of sense from a statistical stand point. plus I don't know about you but if I saw some one in the store I wanted to rob was carrying one, personally I don't think I would shoot them first I think I would find some other place to rob. I will probably get flamed for this I know but if you really think about it it does make sense.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:52:01 AM EDT
Before "shall issue" was law in my state, I tried to get a CCW from the local sheriff. He refused to issue. I said, fine, I'll just carry open, as the law here allows. He replied I would be arrested for "disturbing the peace", that this was standard orders to his gang, even if no citizen complained. So, I informed him, just wait, we will see who has the last laugh. I went to work on the phones, and in a year, had a CCW law. But many sheriffs (including my local) refused to issue. We then went to work again, and this time amended it to "shall issue". And it now goes through the State Police.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:57:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ah1z: well I have an Idea. it might not go over well but it actually does make sense. we all possess ar-15 right, well in some of the less densly populated areas why not carry them on a tac slick on you chest or back. since you are carrying openly you don't have to carry a handgun, and if it were on a sling it would be a rather bad Idea to try to it steal from some one. I know that this is in no way politiacally correct, but if you really think about it it makes a lot of sense from a statistical stand point. plus I don't know about you but if I saw some one in the store I wanted to rob was carrying one, personally I don't think I would shoot them first I think I would find some other place to rob. I will probably get flamed for this I know but if you really think about it it does make sense.
View Quote
Well, in my opinion, if a criminal saw a person walking around with an AR-15 on them, they would probably just walk around you and when you least suspected it, shoot you in the head with their .380 JUST to take your AR-15. Also, I think a rifle would be hard to use when someone is right on top of you, this is where a handgun would have the advantage. My $.02
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 4:45:55 PM EDT
get pre-ban and put a bayo on it. besides I don't think that if many crooks who already possess a firearm will really want to commit homoside in a public area, just to get a better weapon. a weapon which is not readily concealable which is a trait that criminals value. now on the other hand if you want to have any social life, I don't think that an ar would be a really inviting thing to have on you when you are meeting you neighbors or trying to pick up wemon. but nothing says don't f__k with me like a nice m4 straped to your chest [}:D]
Top Top