Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 4:12:42 PM EDT
OK... I do not want to start any Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge wars, nor any American vs. Imports rants as well.  Just want to see what you would do in this situation.
I bought a new Ford F150 in October with the 5.4L V8.  After 1800 miles, I noticed an oil leak.  Took it in and found that it had a warped head (bad casting).  No problem  they replaced it, I asked for a Extended Service plan for my trouble (they gave me the 5yr/75,000 mile Premium Plan), and went on my way.
At 2200 mile, I had another leak.  Took it in, they said Ford want to replace my engine.  Turns out that there were some with casting flaws on the block, have since fixed it, and are replacing the defective engines.  Once again, I said OK, as long as I get a [b]new[/b] engine.  Dealer said, "Sure, they take them off the assembly line and ship them."  Dealer calls the next day, "Sorry, we have to put a remanufactured engine in.  Ford does not have any 2001 engines and the 2002 engine will not work."  I called another dealer and said I wanted to swap my 2001 engine for a 2002, and he said don't do it, so I'll believe Ford for now on that.  Anyway, I find the situation  unacceptable.  Why shoud I pay $25,000 for a new truck with a remanufactured engine.  They, of course, tell me that it is as good as new.  Maybe, maybe not.  Fact is, I have a remanufactured engine in a new truck.
Now my question:
1. Do ask Ford to take something off the loan?
2. Do I ask for the maximum ESP (7/100,000)?
3. Do I ask for a new truck?  (Actually I did.  They said I would have to pay the difference, plus mileage on the current one)
4. If they decide not to do any of the above, maybe ask for some 'store credit' to buy some goodies for my truck?

Tell me what you think.

Please, no wars on this one.  I have had several new Ford trucks and this is the first time I have had a problem such as this.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I am no Ford man but to be honest, these things happen to EVERY manufascturer.

Go for the long warranty and don't worry about it.  Factory remanufactured engine is often better than factory new as they are hand fit and inspected much more often and carefully during the process.  Would not concern me one bit.

They will not likely do anything else for you anyway, no matter how much you cry.  If the thing turns out to be a POS, make them fix it as often as it takes.  Are they providing free loaner?  They should.  Miles that aren't going on yours......
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the state you live in have a "lemon law"?
Many states have laws on the books that address situations like yours, and give you specific rights to relief. Here in Fl, when you buy a new vehicle, the dealer must provide you with a pamphlet explaining such. I can't quote it 'cause it's in my wife's car (the new one). My old pickup was bought used, guaranteed to the end of the dealer's driveway.
Check it out, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
im not a ford man either.but i would ask for a refund on the difference and the warranty coverage of a new engine(since they say there is no big difference)a new truck would be nice though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top