Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 7:57:26 PM EDT
For those of you that didn't know, I'm an engine machinist in a small town in Montana.  I didn't know where else to post this on the forums, but I'm sure there's a Ford Flathead enthusiast somewhere on these forums.  Or somebody who knows one...

We had a guy bring in an engine to get rebuilt last week.  When he called us on the phone he said he had a 289 that he wanted re-built.  So after BSing on the phone a while, he decided to bring it in.  It became readily apparent when he showed up that it obviously wasn't a 289....  Anybody that knows Flatheads knows what I mean...

Anyhow...  The guy doesn't want to re-build this thing.  He decided that he's going to put a 351 Windsor into his '41 Woody wagon instead.  Maybe the 2500 dollar estimate on the Flathead scared him off.  Soooo...  Does anybody out there need a '38-'48 VIRGIN 239 Flathead???  I'm not shittin' up until a week ago, this thing has never been in a machine shop.  Its standard bore, standard on the rods and mains, and its ALL THERE...  Heads, block, crank, intake, pistons, and tin

Hell, I don't even know what its worth.  I think he'd take any serious offer.

Serious inquiries can be e-mailed to me...  [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah, yes, the 239 "Oil Bath" V8...Had one in my '53 Customline — The last year they made the flathead, and the first year they offered the "Fordomatic" automatic transmission...Had a tube-type radio that you had to whack to get the vibrator contacts unstuck every time you turned it on. The engine constantly overheated (how could any engine with 2 water pumps and heads that had nothing but coolant circulating through them overheat?)...Alas, it also fell prey to an engine swap, courtesy of the first kid willing to pay the towing charges for hauling it out of my garage...

I would suggest auctioning your flathead on eBay — and you might be surprised at what you get for it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Skibane-

If you replaced the buffer capacitor in the radio (across pwr transformer) you wouldn't have to tap it to get contacts unstuck.  IIRC, it was a .008 mfd. @ 1600Volts.  I had a 53 Ford also.

marsh
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
[shock] Damn I feel stupid some of the time....errr most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother might be able to help.

Email him or give him a call:

[email protected]

Protius Engine Development
(323) 759-6413

Tell him Mark told you to call.
Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top