Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Were they using some Hollywood-style blank firing barrels or adaptors for the blanks?

And also why didn't they ditch or cache their rucks (Becker Patrol Packs?) before making contact with the enemy? No advantage in huffing and puffing and being plain slow when one needs to be agile..  

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I saw episode two. Interesting and entertaining. Informative? Not much. Paintballers move around better with more cohesion.

I will continue to watch. It may get better.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Did the Opfor have MILES gear on? I looked hard during both 'tank destroyer' missions and could not see MILES on the Opfor. If they don't have MILES gear on, how is it determined that they are dead? Am I missing something besides a life?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'll admit it: I watched both episodes. A guilty pleasure I guess, like watching those "worst driver's" crash 'em up shows. [:)]

The OPFOR and the squads are wearing MILES gear and using standard blank firing adapters. I would bet it's the older MILES I, but I don't know how to tell. MILES stands for Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System, and it is THE standard for engagement simulations for the U.S., NATO et al. They have systems that range from what you see on Combat Missions all the way up to tanks, helicopters, etc. Do a google search on it--fascinating reading.

They have to keep the rucks on because they are dragging around video recorders (not the comm's or MILES gear--that's small stuff). If you look you'll see a TV camera attached to each helmet and a camo'd cable that leads back into the ruck. However, the video gear isn't that heavy or big, so I don't know what else might be in there. It might be a "fashion" thing. They're all using iron sights too, what's up with that?

My opinion is that they spend way too much time on the "oh so dramatic" interpersonal stuff and not enough time on the actual missions. I know they need to time compress the mission stuff, but it would be cool to have some idea of how they moved in and responded to each contact. Maybe some kind of quick football play type graphics. However, that would probably up their production costs too much. The way the missions are edited now it is practically impossible to tell what's up.

The ambush of Alpha, the only team to accomplish their objective with no casualties, and so different from how all the other teams have been treated, seemed very contrived. I never watched the original Survivor stuff, but from what I've heard that kind of manipulation is par for the course. I'll bet it was tough as they put the teams together to make sure that there was at least one major personality conflict on each team, so that they should have lots of "good" interpersonal nonsense.

As to how the story is manipulated, don't forget that you can weave almost any story you want with editing, and all the narration and other stuff is done in post-production. I'll bet Rudy never even knew he was going to be a colonel during production, and only became that way in post when some yahoo producer decided that he needed a rank more recognizable by civilians.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, Ok, so it's a lot like watching the old westerns on TV. But it's better than watching the Real World on MTV.

I'm just surprised that there hasn't been more interest on the AR-15 site. Seems like all the Black Hawk Down movie chatter is subsiding too.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I was bummed they wacked Alpha, no one else got ambushed.  Alpha killed as many and then this ambush from nowhere. Jeff
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Did anyone else watch "The Agency" Jan 24th?  The Combat Missions "CIA Operative"... Whatshisname... Boz or some such, was playing a bit part as a "CIA Operative."  He was one of the MP5 toting CIA guys backing up Gil Bellows entering the island house to rescue the fake kidnapping victim.

So is Boz an actor playing a CIA guy on TV, or a former CIA guy playing a former CIA guy on TV?

Some of the other guys on CM look familiar, too.

The rucks supposedly weigh 50 lbs.  I think the intent is to slow the good guys down.  

The "tactics" appear to be dictated by the producers to make for better TV coverage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well it is TV and it is a game show, but it beats the crap out of watching Rosie.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Now that you mention it, I did notice the dramatic I'm dead portryals. Did make it seem more interesting.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have watched two episodes and I like it.  The SWAT people are having a hard time carrying those packs though.  

I also hope they have a civilian version so I can try.[heavy]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even Alpha died in such dramatic fashion when they got ambushed which means they knew it was going to happen.
View Quote

Anyone ever see how Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) kicked the bucket in the "Buffy" movie? I would love to see one of the guys do that! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Episode 2 rerun tuesday.
Episode 3 premiers Wednesday.

I just hope it catches on. Although the AR/Pig Rectum episode of Fear Factor was memorable. LOL
M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA! did anybody catch the accidental discharge at the weapons reassembly competition?? while one of em was putting together an AK of some sort.
cant believe he couldnt put together an AR.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I noticed the accidental discharge. That SOB better be damn glad they were using blank ammo.

Yea, that one poor guy couldn't get his ar-15 together, sounded like he forgot to put the firing pin in from the comments.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The guy next to him must be scoopin out his shorts !
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
It has got to be fixed. They built up the Special forces guys the whole show. Then they phuck up the whole mission, all dead and the wrong truck. I bet Halverson gets the boot. All orchestrated for the drama.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It has got to be fixed. They built up the Special forces guys the whole show. Then they phuck up the whole mission, all dead and the wrong truck. I bet Halverson gets the boot. All orchestrated for the drama.
View Quote

I'm with you.  Halverson is a whiny little weasel!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
DOH! The team leader fell on his sword. Didn't like him either.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it looks like the Delta leader did the honorable thing and took the hit.  I wish it had been Halverson, though.  He is going to be a continual drag on the team.

The moron who ND'd on the range (I think it was Baz, the CIA guy) should have been tossed out on his ass IMMEDIATELY.

Hey, when are we gonna see the Mall Ninja on this show?  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The Mall Ninja needs to be on the dossier wall next to "the German" and "Big Dog"
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I think Delta deserved to be waxed entirely...I think it's common sense to fire when all the baddies are all together in one tight spot, i.e. when the truck actually pulls into the 'lil checkpoint. In essence, they should've done what Bravo did. So by initiating the ambush too early the OpFor was all over the place and Delta had fire coming in from all directions. That's how I think they lost the first one or two guys.

They could've fired more double-taps to make 'em go down faster too.

Well, I dunno...whaddaya guys think?

Also, I think it's 'Helvenston' and not 'Halverson'. Could be wrong tho..
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Question? What type of Packs are they using. camelbacks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
That guy [i]Helvenston[/i] his name and face seemed familiar. I think he made some Navy Seal PT videos. A get into shape/exercise video.
Was it a Delta guy who asked if there were going to be other trucks?

The Delta leader was smart enough to drop out with the little dignity he had left.
He was gong to get the boot by the others for screwing up both missions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems It always goes harder for the second team based on the whole two episodes I saw.

One thing that I kinda wondered about...
I don't think those AK's are very fair...
I mean they have auto ak's and spray n pray and get lots of hits, while the teams get semi AR's and most can't hit dick. As everyone knows its the ak that can't hit shit[:D]
hehehe

Did those ak's even have the little laser thingy on it? I think the dudes producing the show do like little kids playing cowboys and indians, BANG BANG YOUR DEAD! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

Along the same lines, the bg's wear that boonie hat while the gg's wear that helmet with those big circles I am assuming are detectors for the laser. Where the hell is the bg's detector.

I probably don't know what the hell I am talking about so please excuse me if that's the case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
He made some "seal pt " workout videos and vitamin /suppliments that Brigade Quatermaster used to sell
I think if they had voted he woulda got it the other guy just sensed where the show was going and wanted to keep some dignity and get out now before things got really embarrasing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw it last night. Unbelievable!
[list][*]The ND on the range.[/*]
[*]The SWAT guy couldn't put together an M4.[/*]
[*]Tweedles (or whatever his name is) deserved to go, that was the 2nd mission he effed up. Overamped on the first mission and rushed the tank, getting two team members killed. Overamped the second time and didn't identify the truck. Overamped the third time and didn't wait until the truck was at the checkpoint.[/*]
[*]Helverston's obnoxious but he's more effective than Tweedles.[/*]
[*]Strange that neither team split up to hit the checkpoint from two directions.[/*]
[*]Did you catch the latest innovation: squibs placed around the checkpoint so it looked like real hits![/*][/list]

Bwahahahahah!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Imagine that, the big Dream Team effed up with a bad plan or didn't follow it, I'm not sure which.

The Swat Team simply executed a simple plan and came out with no dead.

The accidental discharge was shocking. Along with the guy who left out the pin on his AR.

I think the show is getting more interesting what with missions that require some planning instead of just going up the middle. Glad also to see more discussion on this site.

Hope the program makes it and next year they refine it.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Question? What type of Packs are they using. camelbacks?

Thanks
View Quote

I think they were carrying Becker Patrol Packs or the standard Blackhawk Patrol Pack...can't really tell the difference..but they were also carrying Camelbacks...

Anyone catch what type of load bearing vest they were wearing? Was it the standard LBV-88?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
This show is pretty lame, so how come I keep watching it?

Was surprized to see the AD on the range and the fact that the swat guy didn't know how to put together a M4 or an AK. Just shows that cops usually know little about guns. (I was at a LEO traning class a while ago and had to show 3 cops how to take apart their glocks to clean them).

Couldn't believe how stupid Delta team was on the rescue. Not sorry to see their team leader (Teeple)go, he was a jerk.

Why do I keep getting the feeling that a good paintball team could clean house on this show?

BTW, you can review all the teams and members, including missions on the web site:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/combatmissions/index.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#30]
they need to give them some real world  "missions " like reconing an  enemy base undetected  or remaining out in the mohave for several days undetected despite "shadow force" patrols. Not just kill all the BG missions. show the gear and weigh these guys on camera with and without the gear/ammo, food, water, survival and show  seals/recon/SF/spec ops in a true light not this stupid survivor politico knife in the back BS. Despite the stupid stuff (sqibs, reshoots,second takes, camp competitions) I am glad it shows watchers that these guys are not infalable and bulletproof. and that without planning training and cohesion they are just really fit guys with guns. Giving them more time to train up as teams would help. I bet they would love to see a marine armourer for those AR's. When they started advertising this I thought it was going to be one team of seals one of recon one of SF one of spec ops and a swat team to see how each did on diffrent types of missions that would be a hell of alot more interesting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One thing that I kinda wondered about...
I don't think those AK's are very fair...
I mean they have auto ak's and spray n pray and get lots of hits, while the teams get semi AR's and most can't hit dick. As everyone knows its the ak that can't hit shit[:D]
hehehe

View Quote
Well of course not. AK's aren't that accurate. Big arcing trajectory, big wide groups in the real world. But these have flat laser trajectories, limited recoil, and MOA groups cause they are shooting laser beams. So takes away many of the superior AR advantages.

On the other hand, I saw one shadow struggle with an AK mag change.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm planning on trying out for the next series, if it lasts more than one season.  Wife said OK, and I don't believe I'm prohibited from playing since I'm retired (I still work for the USG as a civ, though, so I still may be a no-go).

I picked up some useful pointers just off this thread.

Anyone else thinking about it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I know this is all a bunch of get the ratings network BS, but these guys are idiots. I haven't played paintball in a while, but I would take almost any one I have played paintball with over any of these guys. All things considered it is better than what is usually on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll bet there are a lot of rules of engagement that we are not aware of for the "sake of the game", i.e. better entertainment.

The MILES gear can't shoot through concealement, and somebody's GOT to get shot [:)] Have you notice that very few of the guys ever go prone, as if they are prohibited from doing that? Also, it seems like each OPFOR guy is allowed to spray a certain amount from cover/concealment, but then must run like an idiot out into the open? And the obvious retakes may be mandatory by contract, e.g. "you kill/get killed, we get to re-take it in more dramatic fashion".

It will be interesting to find out "the untold story" when, as has happened on the other Survivor series, someone starts talking when the show ends.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#35]
It is interesting but the one I saw they looked very inconsistent for Special Forces present or ex.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Ahhh...Reality Check.  This is a scripted show aimed at the never were's and wannabees who don't understand that this show has as much in common with real SWAT and military action as The Price is Right, Jeopardy and any other TV Game Show.  Guys...It's a TV game show just like Survivor.  For cryin' out loud...Baz, the "CIA" guy is an actor!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#37]
You guys are ignoring the obvious question. Where can we get MILES and for how much?

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Tonite, Wednesday, episode 4.

Reruns were last Saturday and Sunday. Don't know if they are gonna change that.

(regarding similarity to Paintball, this is more interesting to watch with real guns than WATCHING paintball to me.)

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Paintball is fun to play, but I wouldn't watch it on TV.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You guys are ignoring the obvious question. Where can we get MILES and for how much?

Kyle
View Quote

Yeah, I know they are probably banned in CA, but where can people get them and how much??????????????
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Here we go agian round three....
Sad to say as bad as most shows are these days its something to watch thats at least entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I swear, I'm I the only one to notice the hotties at the "bar"? Sheesh. Do they have guns on this show too? [;)]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#43]
At least the tactics improved in this episode. Everyone still attacked the wrong truck, but they assaulted the wrong truck using sound tactics.

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, but those bozos voted the wrong guy off. They think they need a Rambo or Schwartzenegger or Superman or something.

As he was voted off, he prophetically said, "mark my words, it's not about strength, it's about tactics.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Alpha Squad is still the most impressive. Best looking movements and tactics. Attacked the wrong truck and still finished the mission in record time and with only 1 casualty. Everyone else that attacked the wrong truck to start took huge losses.

Alpha was hosed (literally and figuratively) in their first round. Early prediction: they win.

That last Charlie guy down by the wrong truck looked like he was going to pass out at the end there! Those rucks must be b*tches!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#46]
I think the show is actually pretty cool.  Better than anything else on TV.  Also while teams did ambush the first (wrong) truck, both times in the last episode it was because they were spotted by the bad guys and chose to initiate the attack.  I do think these guys need to learn to STAY DOWN!!!  They are walking around on the top of the ridge in plain view many times and get shot.  Also, I have a feeling the lasers are calibrated differently and the bad guys have an advantage, but you never know.  I do think it would be fun to play with the MILES gear, longer range than paintball plus you use a real firearm (and it really goes BANG when you shoot it!).
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#47]
"Yeah, but those bozos voted the wrong guy off. They think they need a Rambo or Schwartzenegger or Superman or something.

As he was voted off, he prophetically said, "mark my words, it's not about strength, it's about tactics."

I disagree, I would have voted this guy off too. He was kind of a jerk, never said anything but that he could do it better and yet he was the first guy killed on the mission. I think the other guys were tired of his whinning.

I thought the team leader was pretty good. He killed nearly all the bad guys himself, directed the tactics and acomplished the mission. He looked calm and collected under fire.

I did notice that while these two teams did the same mission as the other teams from last week, they did not do (or at least show) the weapons assembly test.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#48]
They go through the trouble of pointing out in the briefing that the truck is "clearly marked with the number 13 on the door" you would think that would be a clue. I belive the first team last week let it roll on through after properly noting it was the wrong truck.

I think that the blowing sagebrush that is all over the place and they are using for cover is getting in the way of the MILES laser wheras a bullet would punch through light cover the laser just gets stopped or diflected an easy way to tell would be to run the same op at night with NVG's and see whats happening to the laser pulse IIRC the MILES uses an IR wavelength laser and the pulse is visible at night with NVG's I noticed the flash off the end of the muzzle of some of the weapons is appreciable too bet they have set a few bushes afire on the set and no blank adapters ? whats up with that ?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't know about you guys, but the Shadow Squad (or the bad guys with the tiger camo) look like actors. They don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. They seem to just rush all the time firing all over the place. It's amazing they even kill anyone.

I watched every episode so far. The first one was very exciting to watch for me. Now, each episode is getting more boring. I guess you can expect the outcomes.

Also, are the teams ever going to go against each other? I'd like to watch that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Seems like the problem with winning is having a team that gel's instead of a bunch of prima donnas.

M4-AK

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top