Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 6:22:18 PM EDT
I'm in an unusual situation down here in México:

It's virtually impossible for a Mécican to get a legal handgun and absolutely impossible for a gringo. Sure, I could get an illegal and very concealable pistol from Kel-Tec or NAA, but, they would hardly have the effect of a S&W 686. Furthermore, if an illegal firearm is found in my posession (there are lots of military / police / customs checkpoints here), I would really be in the sh*t.

However, tasers, stun guns and pepper sprays are legal – or, so I believe. Anyone any recommendations or experience with these devices. I should point out that my concern is not home defense, it is for when I and my wife are driving around in México in areas where there are likely to be bandidos.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Never used a taser. Stun guns are absolutely worthless.

Pepper spray has worked well for me. However in the last 6 - 8 years most career crooks have experianced pepper spray sand they are getting used to it. Part of OC sprays effectiveness is the first time you are sprayed with it you usually think you are going to chioke to death, and some people panic. Nobody reacts that way to subsequent exposures.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]

No good advice for surviving Mexico other than stay in a large group with other gringos. In Africa, a gazelle straying away from its herd is called "lunch".

Never been to Mexico. Never want to either.

I try to avoid third world countries at all costs.  You know Mexico has the lowest ratio of police officers per population of any nation, 1 officer per 30,000 people.  What do you suppose is the chance a gringo is going to find an honest Mexican officer to help them? ZIP.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.

Paul – The type of scenario I had in mind.
was an ambush on a rural road.

AR15fan – What makes you say stun guns are useless? I'm just asking, I have no experience with these things at all.

The_Macallan – Astounded to hear your figures about cop: pop ratio. My experience down here just didn't match. A quick Google search revealed:

(1997) per 10,000 of Pop. over 14yrs – Mex 67(cops), France 59, U.S. 33.

México has twice the of cop:pop ratio of the U.S.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AR15fan – What makes you say stun guns are useless? I'm just asking, I have no experience with these things at all.
View Quote

I've tested several of them on myself (usually for $$$).
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't beat feedback like that AR15fan. I'm frightened to ask you anything about ammo!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
On one of the older Jackass episodes on MTV, they tried them out and said the pepper spray worked hands down.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep your head up and your eyes moving.  Predators understand the look of prey.

(Yes I know.  Components of situational awareness.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Stick with other Americans or gringos as mentioned.  There is strength in numbers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Again, thanks for the input.

I am concerned about three distinct scenarios – and they all involve driving in a rural area on isolated Méxican roads:

1. Roadblocks by genuine military / police. – If they find an illegal firearm (the only type available to me), and I am really screwed.

2. Roadblocks by "fake cops". Uniformed (usually ex-LEO's) who have been fired. But to maintain the illusion, they must get close to the car – i.e., lean into the driver's window.

3. Ambush by bandidos – Makeshift ambush (log across the road after a bend etc., then drop another log behind the car). These would be local peasants. Maybe a single .22 rifle or a shotgun and two guys with machetes – they do not need to get close initially. They don't want a conspicuous car or dead bodies they wuld have to get rid of – they want cash and eventually they have to get close.

I am very situationally aware – and I also know once you get too confident about that, you become vunerable. I know there are no easy answers to the above, but your best advice (no guns) would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The_Macallan – Astounded to hear your figures about cop: pop ratio. My experience down here just didn't match. A quick Google search revealed:

(1997) per 10,000 of Pop. over 14yrs – Mex 67(cops), France 59, U.S. 33.

México has twice the of cop:pop ratio of the U.S.
View Quote

My initial number came from a World Almanac (1996), maybe not the most reliable.

I saw the same site you did and this quote by
Samuel Gonzalez, a law professor
at the national Autonomous University of Mexico:

[b]"Mexican police -- poorly trained, equipped, educated, paid and deployed -- in fact are frequently the ones who commit the crimes." [/b]

Either way, like I and other's said, STAY IN GRINGO GROUPS.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
... a big, fast vehicle is your best defense. I used to go down to Rocky Point for tequila and skirts but I won't any more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
AR15fan, I'd like to hear more about these stun gun tests. How many volts, how many seconds?   What kind of effects?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're worried about a situation where you are in a car, then you should learn to drive like the professional bodyguards.  There are executive protection courses and so on that teach you how to handle a car like a weapon and use it to damage theirs so they can't pursue, run them off the road, and to break contact by recognizing the situation and getting hell and gone before bad things happen.

The movie "Proof of Life" has a perfect example of where that kind of know-how would have come in very handy.  Had the guy who got kidnapped recognized the situation, he could have driven himself out of harm's way before it was too late.

If you're talking about being on foot, I can't really help you.  I don't trust stun guns, pepper spray, or tasers because of their propensity for having dead batteries or not discharging (or whatever) when needed.  Maybe a blackjack or spring baton would be a better weapon.  You want to strike and get away, not stick around for the knockout punch.  If you're up against more than one perp, you're in trouble anyways, especially when they know what they're going to do and you're just happening upon them.

I've never faced that situation exactly.  Looking mean and in charge certainly helps--my dad has "the look"--like he'll kill you if you start anything.  I wish I could intimidate people just by looking at them in a certain way.  You have to look like you can carry out the threat, ya know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top