Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2002 11:28:23 AM EDT
I just moved to Bethesda, Maryland and it seems like I've stepped into Liberal heaven. Anyway, having lived in Central Pa & having a carry permit for over a decade, I feel a little naked not being able to carry in MD. Its out of the question getting a carry permit here but I have friends that have advised me to just do it. Here's their logic. First, never in my life have I been searched by  the police. Second, if i have to use it, it'll be to save my life from certain injury or death. So it doesnt matter if I get charged...at least I'll be alive. Third, If I do get cought carrying, I have a perfect criminal/driving record, have $ for atorney and it'll probably get reduced to fine & probation with expungement of charges after a year or so.

I was just wondering what other members feel about his.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry missa offissa, I declines ona count uh my 5th amendment rights.[:O]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds risky, but I've heard of plenty of people doing it.  I wonder if you'll get anyone to admit it.....

I suggest you move to a state where you are free.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If anyone was, do you honestly think they'd post it here?  
That'd be like a topic asking " How many of you have illegally modified Full Auto rifles?  Signed: Bob Smith
Post 1 of 1."
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
OK I'll admit I use to do it WHEN I lived in Ohio , as a minority in a almost all white rural area I use to carry a 45 Colt and a Mini-14 with a Choate folding stock . Both came in handy on late summer night while delivering pizza ! Nuf said !!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If anyone was, do you honestly think they'd post it here?  
That'd be like a topic asking " How many of you have illegally modified Full Auto rifles?  Signed: Bob Smith
Post 1 of 1."
View Quote

Maybe not quite that bad.  The local police probably don't patrol this site, and the BATF would probably have no jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course not!!  But, I have a friend who sometimes carries illegally.  He lives in free state, but sometimes [s]I[/s] he carries into places that are off-limits.  It's your call, but don't get caught!!  You have to do a personal cost/benefit analysis, weighing risks of getting hurt versus getting arrested, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude --

MD Subscribes to *Operation EXILE* (an NRA Sponsored op), which in basic terms means: Illeagal gun = 5 years in FEDERAL (no parole) Prison.

Consider your cost/benefits, should you even be able to plea it down, you're looking at a misdemeanor which could potentially disqualify you from *ever* getting another carry permit in another state.

Me, I'd move. There are reasons I don't live in MD, VA, IL, NE, MI, and NY. Another option is to get an "out of state" permit from a state like Texas, and look to the NRA's ILA website (www.ILA.org) to see if MD has carry recoprocity with any other states).

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Mayday, I suggest you have a very hypothetical discussion of this issue with a criminal defense attorney in your area.  Get a good idea of just how severe the legal consequences would be if you were caught.  

One problem with living in Maryland (as opposed to, say, rural Ohio) is that you not only have to worry about the law but also about the attitudes of those who would be serving on a jury.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I tell this to ALL perps...
"it wasn't the fact that you were (insert crime here), it was the fact that you were caught!"
Even though I personally may be a "cool" or more leniant cop, many LEO's won't be as kind.

With that being said, if you do carry illegally be prepared to face the consequences should you get caught.

I urge you to go about carrying LEGALLY in the state of Maryland. There are enough examples of trouble with the local authorities re: firearms, take OneShot1Kill for instance.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just moved to Bethesda, Maryland and it seems like I've stepped into Liberal heaven. Anyway, having lived in Central Pa & having a carry permit for over a decade, I feel a little naked not being able to carry in MD. Its out of the question getting a carry permit here but I have friends that have advised me to just do it. Here's their logic. First, never in my life have I been searched by  the police. Second, if i have to use it, it'll be to save my life from certain injury or death. So it doesnt matter if I get charged...at least I'll be alive. Third, If I do get cought carrying, I have a perfect criminal/driving record, have $ for atorney and it'll probably get reduced to fine & probation with expungement of charges after a year or so.

View Quote

Its not very far from Bethesda across the river to Virginia, I'd say come on over to the Old Dominion. We got guns over here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just moved to Bethesda, Maryland
View Quote

You did what?!?

and it seems like I've stepped into Liberal heaven.
View Quote

Seems like?!?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I know for a fact that at least one of the members and posters here does.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Illegally in the eyes of the Caliban?  Hell yes!  Not often, but whenever I go some place dangerous alone, like out in the wilderness near the Mexican border, most of Los Angeles, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
No officer I don't.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]

I would not recommend doing it.

I have been charged with carrying concealed twice for having a hunting knife under my front seat. It cost me tons of money in lawyer and court fees to get out of it both times. And that was just a knife. Not a gun.

It could of cost me a lot of rights including the right to own a gun if things had went a little differently in court.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
That would just be wrong and shame on you.  I would never do such a thing.[BD] But I would hate to be the guy who trys to rob me.[kill]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Me, I'd move. There are reasons I don't live in MD, VA, IL, NE, MI, and NY
View Quote

Why not MI?  We're a shall-issue state.

'Far as you go, mayday: move.  I can't imagine what it would take to make me live in a place like MD.  Nothing...great job, family's here...nothing=freedom.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Me, I'd move. There are reasons I don't live in MD, VA, IL, NE, MI, and NY. Another option is to get an "out of state" permit from a state like Texas, and look to the NRA's ILA website (www.ILA.org) to see if MD has carry recoprocity with any other states).
View Quote

Yah, and what's wrong with VA?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Move to Arizona. We are a shall-issue state, you can legally carry open with NO permit, and the weather is a helluva lot better than Maryland !!!!

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Better to be Judged by 12 than carried by 6!!

Also, Del. Carmen Amedori will be offering the CCW bill again this year. Call your legiscritters and get them to come aboard. Who knows what could happen. I know, I know, I'll put down the crack pipe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yah, and what's wrong with VA?
View Quote

I'm with him, what's the matter with Va? Anybody that can buy a handgun here, can now get a CCP. It's not like it used to be where it was "prove you need it".

Only problem I have with it is not being able to take my wife to a nice resturant and carry because they serve alcohol.

You can not carry into a place that serves alcohol for cunsumption. Bars I agree with with, resturants that serve food primarly I do not.

-Kc
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You didn't move far SOUTH enough!!

AS both a former PA->MD resident let me give you this piece of advice......GET OUT NOW!!!

VA is much better!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
All the time, I dont beleive in licensed CCW, I never say I have it and dont do stupid shit. Carry in bars? no problem. Keltec 32 and NAA mini rev disapear easily. and at 2 notes they are adios guns. Now, am I telling the truth?
GG
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me start by agreeing with others here that either you moved too far south or not far enough. The problem in Maryland is they have extremely overzealous police, in my experience. No such thing as leniency, especially where guns are concerned. Your dreams of probation and expungement are just that: a dream. More like 5 years in Jessup. You don't want to spend ONE DAY in that place.
You've never been searched by the police because as you say you came from central Pa., where the police are professionals (at least the State Police). Not so in Maryland.
I'll admit, a former job of mine had me going into the worst parts of Baltimore City in the wee hours of night. I carried every time in those circumstances. But I would not do it casually, and I don't do it at all now since I don't have to go into Cherry Hill or west Baltimore at 3:00AM on a Saturday morning any more.  You could live in extremely south Pa. and commute to Bethesda fairly easily, or like others have said move to Virginia. Or lock up your guns and take your chances. Think this over very carefully.

I myself moved to Pa. 15 years ago and commute into Baltimore for these very reasons (well, that and taxes, cost of living, nice neighbors, etc....).
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Me, I'd move. There are reasons I don't live in MD, VA, IL, NE, MI, and NY
View Quote

Why not MI?  We're a shall-issue state.

'Far as you go, mayday: move.  I can't imagine what it would take to make me live in a place like MD.  Nothing...great job, family's here...nothing=freedom.
View Quote

I don't need no stinking tin God's permission to exercise my God given 2nd Amendment rights.

See my post above.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ignorant and irresponsible.  I would say move here to Texas, but I don't want you here.  Try Arizona...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Good quesiton Mayday.  I've never carried illegally, but I've been tempted to almost every single day I had a working Kel-Tec P-32.  I don't have enough money to defend myself in court, and at my age if I was sentenced to several years, I probably wouldn't live long enough to see freedom again.  That's a sobering thought, dying in jail.  So, no I don't carry.  I consider the chances of being found by the local cops much more likely than being hurt by a local thug.  I've been mugged three times in the past fourteen months, but I've survived them with only a scratch.z
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#31]
  Move out into the countryside, nobody cares what you carry.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Well no...that would be wrong[;)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Question about "operation exile".  Isn't that if your in possesion of a firearm commiting a crime (mandatory 5 year sentence).  Hypotheticaly, I drive through Va all the time with some things locked up and always thought I was safe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate to say it, but yes I do.  

I don't know why a criminal would obey the little sign that states no weapons.  If they don't abide by it, then why should I?  The only time I do carry illegally is when I go to a late movie.  I'm just not going to risk it.  If I happen to blow a POS away after he has just shot 5 people in the theater, I will probably be thanked...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
oops!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
All the time, I dont beleive in licensed CCW, I never say I have it and dont do stupid shit. Carry in bars? no problem. Keltec 32 and NAA mini rev disapear easily. and at 2 notes they are adios guns. Now, am I telling the truth?
GG
View Quote

Both those guns are BANNED in MD.

I am SO glad we left!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Me do something illegal with a gun? In Massachusetts? You crazy? Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis? Criminals do it all the time, but RARELY get caught. They don't even worry about anti-gun laws, whereas honest citizens (the real targets of anti-gun laws) get bagged for illegal CCW with astonishing regularity. Go figure.

Not only would I lose my privileges in MA to own pistols/hi-cap rifles/mags, but I'd probably end up forfeiting FOR LIFE all my gun privileges (notice, I did NOT say "gun rights"), sell all my guns (if they hadn't been already seized) to help pay the huge legal bill$$$$$$ to keep me out on the street, esp. if I am faced with a zealous anti-gun prosecutor (a foregone conclusion...). And I'm not even going to factor in the jury.

Ah, yes- the jury. *sigh*

If gun owners are the new niggers of society, then, in a brainwashed liberal stronghold such as Massachusetts, I'd be up against the equivalent of an ALL-WHITE JURY....

And besides, if I were to carry illegally, I surely wouldn't advertise it here anyway.[%|]

"Gun owners are the new niggers... of society."
- --WWW.DICTIONARY.COM (EXAMPLE UNDER "NIGGER")
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#38]
To 95thFoot ;

Well at last someone can read a dictionary ! I admit it I've used the word myself .
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I tried to carry illegally once,  but the damn 30 round mag wouldn't slip past my wasteband. I'm sooo glad they banned making them, in a faw more years when we can't have them, and i have a 10 round, THEN i bet i could fit it in my pants.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey come on out to South Dakota. No we are not a southern state but we are shall-issue and probably the most hassle free of them all.
And the terrorist's would not come here cause they could not get enough of us at one time. We are to spread out.
And wide open space's mean's I see them first he,he bang their crow bait.

Lee
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey come on out to South Dakota. No we are not a southern state but we are shall-issue and probably the most hassle free of them all.
And the terrorist's would not come here cause they could not get enough of us at one time. We are to spread out.
And wide open space's mean's I see them first he,he bang their crow bait.

Lee
View Quote

When I lived in Rapid City all you had to have for a permit was a ID card, $6, and a clean record.  Also they gave you a copy of your registration as a temp CCP until your card came. Is it still that way?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I would never NEVER tell anyone to do anything illegal.
Having said that....if you have to apply for a CCW permit, does that make it a privelige, or a right?[:D]

PS I would also never admit to breaking the law.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good quesiton Mayday.  I've never carried illegally, but I've been tempted to almost every single day I had a working Kel-Tec P-32.  I don't have enough money to defend myself in court, and at my age if I was sentenced to several years, I probably wouldn't live long enough to see freedom again.  That's a sobering thought, dying in jail.  So, no I don't carry.  I consider the chances of being found by the local cops much more likely than being hurt by a local thug.  I've been mugged three times in the past fourteen months, but I've survived them with only a scratch.z
View Quote

I gotta ask--is this humor?  I mean, you say you've been mugged three times in 14 months, right?  How many times have you been harassed by cops looking for weapons?  None, right?  So I think you are clearly someone who needs to think more about their personal safety and less about the almighty Big Brother looking after you.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
First, never in my life have I been searched by  the police. Second, if i have to use it, it'll be to save my life from certain injury or death.
View Quote

Just wondering if you have ever had to pull your CC weapon on anyone either?  I think you should be able to carry concealed but weigh the odds.  Renamed suggested talking to a lawyer,  that is sound advice.  13f said "in possesion of a firearm commiting a crime" well here in Ks possessing a concealed firearm is a crime so they could hit you with both.  Yes you have never been searched by the police but there is always tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I hated not being able to carry in the old days. I did delivery work in college. Things were bad enough where I worked that I got a .30 carbine (with the wife's blessing, which is rare) to carry in the car because it is legal to carry a long gun.

Now I don't leave the house, ever, without a gun (or two, or six). As someone who carries all of the time (legally and professionally), I can understand why someone would want to be armed at all times. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, although I think I have good reason to be. Trouble has a way of finding you, sometimes. About six months ago, I was getting dinner with my wife and sister-in-law. I went to the counter in the pizza restaraunt to get some more napkins. The guy at the counter flagged me down. He wanted to "thank" me for getting his life back on track and straightening him out. I had no idea in hell who he was (and still don't). He saw the confusion on my face, so he lifted up his pants leg and showed me his ankle monitor. Oh. I must have arrested him at some point in time. I had no idea who he was, but he sure as hell remembered me. And the next one who remembers me might not be as friendly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#46]
So I think you are clearly someone who needs to think more about their personal safety and less about the almighty Big Brother looking after you.
View Quote

It's a game of odds.  I know I'm going to run into the police whether at a license check, at work, or while walking to/from work.  I don't know for sure if I'm going to be mugged and attacked.  Odds are much greater the police are going to harm me (jail time) than a bad guy.  That's why I don't carry, but I wish I could.   It's a great country we live-in when a 73 year-old vet, who has never even been charged with a crime, has more to fear from the police than from the criminals.z
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Illegaly carrying is stupid. If you do have to use your gun YOU are gonna be in more trouble then the SOB that tried to rob/attack you. It's gonna cost you at least 5K in lawyer fees not to mention possible jail time and a felony record. And all this to avoid what ? giving up your wallet ? Its not worth it.

I have a carry permit but most of the time I don't carry becuase I think even with a carry permit you'll be in a shit load of trouble if you do have to shoot someone. To me my carry permit is good for kicks becuases if I ever shoot someone in self-defense I'm assured to be charged with murder and be looking at 10k worth of lawyer fees to clear myself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#48]
No officer I don't.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Odds are much greater the police are going to harm me (jail time) than a bad guy.  That's why I don't carry, but I wish I could.   It's a great country we live-in when a 73 year-old vet, who has never even been charged with a crime, has more to fear from the police than from the criminals.z
View Quote

And that is the crux of the matter- police know they can't eliminate the criminals. But they can eliminate us, the lawful, should we decide to follow the 2nd Amendment as written.[rolleyes]

Gun owners are criminals until they can prove to the State otherwise. Don't agree? Try walking into a gun shop and buying a gun w/o a Brady or state background check. If you get that gun there w/o proving you are not a criminal, you WILL be a criminal....[:(!]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
You want to carry an illegal handgun?   Just come to NYC, everyone else does.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top