Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 6:11:04 PM EDT
I purhased one of these new in the box at the Big Town show this weekend from S&S  and discovered a problem after I brought it home.  MOst of my 30 rd and 5 rd mags will not fit into the mag well, incidently all of my 20 rd mags will fit.  Upon closer inspection it appears that the cut-out for the mag at the rear of the lower reciever is slightly unfinished thereby cutting down on the available room for the mag to be properly inserted.  Also, the various mags are inconsistently assembled where the rear of the mag is not always flush with the sides causing some mags (in my case most) to be slightly longer front-rear causing them to not fit the mag well.
Anyone else had this problem, I dont want to go cutting on the receiver until I can verify that this is indeed the only problem?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about the WASR, but some of those AKs are made to only take Single-Stack Mags. Specifically the MISR-10 is known for this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
... That’s what distinguishes the Romanian WASR from the SAR.
The single stack.
… I wouldn’t be too concerned, simply measure your mags and find the largest over all length and width. Then with your calipers patiently take your jewelers files and rework to the new dimensions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The WASR's are a single stack only gun (10 round max) that was milled out to accept hi-caps.

Some of these WASR's are not 100% reliable as far as the mag seating.

You have two choices, either take it back, and swap for a good one, or get to work with the dremel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info,  how do they get around the legality of converting these rifles to accept the high caps?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
They get around this the same way we get to remove the butthole stocks they get imported with, by changing out 5 or 6 parts with US parts, making it no longer a imported weapon.

They didn't even have to make this model, it was just a PC version, in case hi-cap models were banned or removed from importability.  

However, anyone can buy the lo-cap models, and dremel out the magwell, with no legal issues, once it has the required US parts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you can register it under the NFA as an SBR or something else. You could also get a virgin receiver and have the rest of the gun made into a Pistol or AOW.

All of these are exempt from 922(r). An AOW is exempt from 922(v). A pistol can have a bayonet. I'd like to try that sometime, just for kicks. Build an AR-15 pistol with a Bayonet Lug. Sounds fun. I also believe Flash Suppresors are cool on Pistols, except that Threads made for Silencers, etc...aren't legal.

I saw a nice (not real) Pistol from some card game that had a bayonet and A1 Flash Suppressor on it. It would be real nice to piss off the libs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem with my (new?!)WASR. I have 6 30 rounders that fit fine. 2 20 rounders, one fit when smacked on the bottom and one didn't at all. One 5 rounder didn't fit. Drimel work cured the problem. Am refinishing the (new!?) stock on mine and also refinishing the (new?!) finish on the receiver and barrel so it will look new.... [BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top