Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2002 1:35:13 PM EDT
[url]http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/014/business/All_50_states_agree_to_upgrade_driver_s_licensesP.shtml[/url] It's all about money, as usual.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:46:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:10:36 PM EDT
Maybe someone could explain [b]exactley[/b] how this measure would stop future criminal activity?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:17:35 PM EDT
raf, as far as I have read, the federal gov. is behind this effort 100%. They don't want to be doing it right out in the open though for fear of facing the dreaded National ID Card label with all its attendant ugly prospects. There are of course dems and repubs. who dislike the idea. It's the state's who want the federal government to come in and alleviate the cost of having standards for driver's licenses and maybe even lift the ID burden off of them completely. It's also about Larry Ellison trying to give away his software but then charge a bundle for programmers, support and decades of future maintenance. Peter Jennings talked about National IDs on the evening news tonight. The good news is, the issue is in the public eye and there is still some healthy debate taking place, both pro and con. What alarms me is that this "harmonization" process is that same thing they're doing with state sales tax laws--it's so they can tax Internet, catalog and other interstate transactions. More central government, more federalism and less accountability. My concern is that once implemented, there will be justifications for including everything on the one card--including health information and gun ownership records. You name it, someone will suggest it. Look at the SSN if you want a good example of how abuse happens. It's all "It will never be abused as a universal identifier." Yet here we sit in 2002 and that's exactly what the SSN is. My other concern is that any card can be forged. That will prompt calls for biometrics and maybe even implantation under the skin. The technology already exists, it's just getting people on board with it now. It's either than or tattooed barcodes, I suppose. Either way, it is against every basic tenet of a free society for a central government to have such comprehensive and overwhelming control like that. What do we get in the bargain? Do we get anything? My other question is: Why even have an address on a driver's license? What does my address have to do with the certification of my driving proficiency? In fact, taking that a bit further: Is the state any good at certifying drivers? Every day I have at least one "close call" because of someone else's poor driving abilities. Yet I have the same license in my pocket they have. Or maybe they never bothered to get one, I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:31:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trickshot: My other question is: Why even have an address on a driver's license? What does my address have to do with the certification of my driving proficiency? In fact, taking that a bit further: Is the state any good at certifying drivers? Every day I have at least one "close call" because of someone else's poor driving abilities. Yet I have the same license in my pocket they have. Or maybe they never bothered to get one, I don't know.
View Quote
The address is for writing those people who CAN'T drive a ticket when they come to our attention, obviously. I would love to have more frequent reevaluation of drivers, but too many people see a drivers license as some sort of a Right that you best dare not question. Never mind that the 60 year old tooling down the road has had no formal update on his driving skills in over 40 years....and lets not get into the 80 or 90 year olds...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:53:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:26:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:35:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By tcsd1236: Never mind that the 60 year old tooling down the road has had no formal update on his driving skills in over 40 years
View Quote
Short of putting them on a skid pad, just how do you go about "updating" the skills of someone who has had 40 years experiance behind the wheel ???????
View Quote
Legal refresher. Locally they give classes sponsored by AARP for "the over 55 driver". It tries to make older folks aware of their limitations as drivers, brought about by the aging process, and gives them stratgies to continue driving safely.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:41:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo: Short of putting them on a skid pad, just how do you go about "updating" the skills of someone who has had 40 years experiance behind the wheel ???????
View Quote
I would require a written test of some sort at about the 20 year mark to ensure that they still know the rules of the road. While the basic rules don't change, I think that it is incredible how many people when stopped claim that they didn't know that what they did was illegal. After about age 65, the driver should have to take another written test and an actual road test about every ten years in order to keep their license. They may have had 40 years of driving behind the wheel as you pointed out; however, thats 40 years of developing bad habits, and the 60+ year old person is not the same 16 year old that took the road test way back when. By the age of 70 or 75 they have deteriorated physically and in some cases mentally to the point where there needs to be some process short of the post-accident referrals I can make to DMV to get some of these older drivers off the roads before they kill someone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:50:45 PM EDT
For those to whom it would apply, I would make sure that these cards are conspicuosly marked with CIVILIAN in red letters as it would help quickly identify probable terrorists.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:46:44 PM EDT
Both Oracle and Sun are in a big circle jerk, hoping to get the technology contracts for a nationwide identification system. If you ask me, both Ellison and McNealy can blow each other.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:09:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2002 12:15:50 AM EDT by prk]
Originally Posted By mattja: Both Oracle and Sun are in a big circle jerk, hoping to get the technology contracts for a nationwide identification system. If you ask me, both Ellison and McNealy can blow each other.
View Quote
What do you mean, "Can"?
Top Top