Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Guzzler, how long ago was this good advice given? What year was the sportster? I again point out that since the EVO engine was introduced, the maintenance issue has almost stoped being a factor. You can allways find an example of a bad bike, but the machines since about 1985 on have been excelent. Not a flame, just trying to determine the age of the info you were given. Also as an asside, the sportster has allways been a poor bike for durability. There are reasons people hated them other than they are "Girls" bikes.
Scott
View Quote

I will have to admitt, this was before the EVO engine. And honestly... I can't remember the year of the Sportster that he had. He had to customize it quite a bit, since he was a short man. Even though the Sportster is already a low slung bike [;)]

Note: I didn't just help on the Sportster, I did help turn wrench on other models (as a shade tree assistant).

The EVO engine was an improvement from the old engines, but it still wasn't up to par to other manufactures at that time or since. I don't have actual specs on the general falure rate of the EVO engine, but it was still generally higher that other manufacuters.

Now, again I do hope that the VROD engine makes it. First liquid cooled comsumer Harley engine. But I personally wouldn't buy one right now. I would wait a year or two for them to "fine tune" the motorcycle. The engine specs are good. They did do some great endurence testing, but nothing works perfectly the first time.

One other factor in favor of Harley's, as some else said, they are the ONLY vehicle that goes up in value after you ride it off the lot. But the reason is that 99.9% of owners turn around and start tricking it out ASAP, and that adds to the cost of bike. But that is aura of having a Harley, you make it yours.

Also, from time-to-time I get the opertunity to jump on newer Harley's. I personally still think that they handle like a pig in mud.

Oh, another thing... "Loud pipes save lives!" Bullshit! They just piss people off. Read up on your physics (sound waves and dopler shift), the math doesn't add up. (Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine... On any bike.. GXR to HOG).
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
well first off you cannot conpare a jessie james bike to a factory bike............second thing.....Fuck willie G....and the factory..third ..choppers rule...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Had an '83 Sporty, bought used in '86. Occasional mechanical problems, after I "modified" it.

Bought a '93 Fat Boy, and still have it, with a lot of mods. 25,000 miles, stranded about once every two years, cause I'm too cheap to replace a battery till it is dead, and with long deployments, it happens.

Had a '00 Deuce, ran fine, sold it to buy a '01 Road King. Highly customized, 6,000 miles, no strandings or breakdowns yet.

Want a reliable bike and no depreciation? Buy a Evo or TC Harley, maintain it on schedule, and leave it stock. No worries!

Finally, Jesse pounds some great metal (and builds customs, NOT Harleys), but yes, he is an ass, and always remember his motto: "Gimme the money, sucka'!"
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy who owns the rib joint next to my office keeps one of the first producto V-Rods in the bar of his restaurant.  Very nice.  Harley gave him a fan-inflated plastic bubble to keep it in, so all the customers can look but not get their saucy hands all over it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
About all Harleys leaking oil.
I hear that shit all the time. All you people are doing is displaying your ignorance.
H-D Evo engines do not leak oil. If they do, you have a problem. Shovelheads can be made not to leak oil BUT it takes some work. Pans and Knuckles are gonna leak I don't care what you do to them.
Ironhead sportsters frequently leak too. Usually because they are "affordable" to people that can buy the bike and commence working on them when they really don't have a clue what the hell they are doing. I can't count the iron heads I have seen with warped primary covers from being installed incorrectly.

The EVO sportster is one damned fine engine.
It is MUCH better then a Ironhead. Better combustion chamber design, better clutch, better carb,a LOT easier to start, And you can make a sporty into one crotch rocket killer if you can spend some money on it.

The new Indians are just another knockoff.
I mean they all have S&S motors in them. Which is basiclly a heavy duty Harley motor.
They are not true to the Indian name. When they do start making their own engines maybe then my opinion will change.

If they don't allow HARLEYS in heaven
Then I'll ride mine straight to hell

DAKING
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm the proud owner of the first VROD that my local dealer got. It sure is a different bike from the old soft tails, hard tails etc. But, WHAT A RIDE!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad has a '99 Road King Classic, original Harley two-tone: black and chrome.  He has a 100th anniversary (2003) bike on order right now.  
Get this, my dad actually sat down and had coffee with Willie G Davidson himself.  He was at Daytona Bike Week and Willie happened to be staying at the same Hotel as my dad and his buddies.  He went over to him while he was wiping off his bike and asked "You Willie?", to which he replied "Yup."  They then talked for about an hour about how much the bikes have gone up in recent years and other stuff.  To my dad that was like having a chat with the George W.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a 78 FXE Low Rider and last of the 74 c.i. points type engines. What a vibrator! Bought new for $3800 and sold it 2 years ago for $3000 more than I paid for it new. Wish I had never done it but was pretty good investment. What 22 year old car could you sell and almost double your money back on. I miss her breakin down daily. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
94 1200XL here
I agree that the yuppies have helped drive the price up and that because they are "trendy" alot of people that have no business on a bike (or ANY bike) are lining up to buy them. Just take a look through Cycle Trader at the bikes that are several years old and have under a couple thousand miles on them. They buy'em up try to ride'em and then leave'em in the garage. Thats just no way to treat a bike, reminds me of my wifes uncle thats a stock broker, last March he bought a new Deuce, spent a small fortune on "offical" apperal and took a riding class (nothing against that, better to learn somewhere than on your own) any way at Christmas he mentioned that his bike [b]ONLY HAD 150 MILES ON IT![/b]. I did'nt say anything but thought about the day before when me and 2 friends did over 200 just putting around in the 38 degree temps.
As far as durabilty my father in laws 76 Super Glide has over 120,000 miles on it. His brothers 74 Super Glide has over 100,000. (granted there have been a few top ends between the 2) Either of these bikes would probably sell for 3 times or more what they cost new.[uzi]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I LOVE my bikes.  ...I traded the Superglide and got a really nice looking 2001 Dyna Wide glide two tone black and chrome yellow.  This has to be one of the finest stock bikes Ihave ever set eyes one.  I have lowered it and put a solo seat on.  Put on little teeny signals, drag bars, V/H pipes, and mikuni carb.  The only other thing I wanna do is have some engine mods done, and I am gonna leave it alone.  

I could never afford a J. James bike, but would love to have one.  

BTW Choppers do rule!

John
View Quote

John, sounds like a nice bike and similiar to my set up.

I have the stock carb, but have the screaming eagle kit, revtech oversize filter element, and Yost Power tube.

I have a custom cam from Skip's Speed and Custom in Winchester VA.  It's a proprietary grind, but is similar to the EV27 from Andrews.  The tappets were replaced with JIMS big rollers and the pushrods with Screamin Eagle adjustables.  I replaced the cam bearing with a Torrington while the cam was out.

The pipe is a Thunder Header.

The bike was fine wtihout all this, but sometimes ya' just get the "More Power" bug.

As set up the bike will turn over 80HP at the rear wheel on the dyno )that's consevative based on the dyno print outs).  That's darn good for a 80" cruiser.

You've layed the ground work to get the same.  Add a mild cam (and replace that cheap cam bearing) and you should have a great street machine with torque where you ride, and great reliability.  

Actually, with the Mikuni, you could go a bit wilder if that's your thing.  The stock carb with mod's is fine for mods up to 80HP.  If you plan to get beyond that, you'll need to look at the Mikuni or S&S.  Perhaps some oversized or HC pistons are in your future?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, I have own two, one brand new and one old one I built up (it was better than the new one, but I still had to check to make sure I got to where I was going with all the parts I started out with).

Will never own another.

I ride a [b]'99 Kaw. Nomad 1500[/b] [red]everday[/red] and unlike most of you with alternate vehicles, it is my only means of transport (my choice).
Traded in an old Gold-Wing and for my money the Nomad is one very reliable scoot. It was 3 years old last month and has 30,000 miles on it.

I priced the Road King which cost twice what I paid for the Nomad and while long ago I was ate up with the Harley mistique, I've owned them and there's no way I'll waste my money on another.

2cents from Real scooter trash,
Mike

PS - the only Jesse James I know is a dead outlaw.
View Quote

YOU sir are a man of IMPECCABLE taste!!

My late father, (love ya pops), left me his 1993 Kawasaki Concours. He drove it across the US and back (from PA), in 13 DAYS. By himself. At the age of 65!

My new wife and I love it, and take it on cross country tours whenver we get the chance. 7.5 gallon tank, TONS of power.

Now my younger brother bought a 1999 fatboy. PRETTY bike. Asks me if I wanna ride it. SURE I do. Ugh. Thing couldn't get out its own way. What a piece of sh*t....or as Pop would say "an underpowered, overpriced piece of  sh*t".

Oh, and before you go calling MY bike a rice burner, REMEMBER that when Harley was FOUNDERING in its motorcycle factories, building bikes the "old fashioned way" the went to JAPAN to see how bikes were made in the 20th century and incorporated alot of those ideas into thier new production lines.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, I have own two, one brand new and one old one I built up (it was better than the new one, but I still had to check to make sure I got to where I was going with all the parts I started out with).

Will never own another.

I ride a [b]'99 Kaw. Nomad 1500[/b] [red]everday[/red] and unlike most of you with alternate vehicles, it is my only means of transport (my choice).
Traded in an old Gold-Wing and for my money the Nomad is one very reliable scoot. It was 3 years old last month and has 30,000 miles on it.

I priced the Road King which cost twice what I paid for the Nomad and while long ago I was ate up with the Harley mistique, I've owned them and there's no way I'll waste my money on another.

2cents from Real scooter trash,
Mike

PS - the only Jesse James I know is a dead outlaw.
View Quote

YOU sir are a man of IMPECCABLE taste!!

My late father, (love ya pops), left me his 1993 Kawasaki Concours. He drove it across the US and back (from PA), in 13 DAYS. By himself. At the age of 65!

My new wife and I love it, and take it on cross country tours whenver we get the chance. 7.5 gallon tank, TONS of power.

Now my younger brother bought a 1999 fatboy. PRETTY bike. Asks me if I wanna ride it. SURE I do. Ugh. Thing couldn't get out its own way. What a piece of sh*t....or as Pop would say "an underpowered, overpriced piece of  sh*t".

Oh, and before you go calling MY bike a rice burner, REMEMBER that when Harley was FOUNDERING in its motorcycle factories, building bikes the "old fashioned way" they went to JAPAN to see how bikes were made in the 20th century and incorporated alot of thooe ideas into THIER new production lines.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, and before you go calling MY bike a rice burner, REMEMBER that when Harley was FOUNDERING in its motorcycle factories, building bikes the "old fashioned way" they went to JAPAN to see how bikes were made in the 20th century and incorporated alot of thooe ideas into THIER new production lines.

View Quote

Ok, I'll remember that, and you remember what the manufacturer of you bike was building in 1943, when Harley was building bikes for the US Army.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I would rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother that rode a Jap bike...[USA]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Bulldog, so what if Harley looked at the production lines in Japan. Who do you think taught the Japanese how to do what they were doing? An American. I can't imagine anything produced anywhere in the world that doesn't have something of foreign design or idea in it. The real point is that the Harley is THE measuring stick all others try to live up to. Is it the end all? Hell no. You can allways have different models and or improve on a proven design. I seem to recall that the Chevy 350 has been in production since the 50's. Are there better engines out there? Probably for certain applications, but would you put a turbo 4 banger in a 1/2 ton fullsize pickup and expect it to pull a wet string out of a dead cats ass? I doubt it. If you can't wrench, you don't ride an older classic bike. Thats ok as mechanics need to make a living too. It's really a matter of ability and or desire. I like to mess with things & can have more of them since I do my own work. If all I could do was put gas in something & take it to jiffy lube then I'd have a Goldwing. I love my old shovelhead and like to work on it on occaision. The EVO is basicly maintenance free. Yes I change fluids on it, but thats nearly it. I'd ride with ya anytime, but your bike is still rice. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd ride with ya anytime, but your bike is still rice. [;)]
View Quote

Hell yeah, I''ll ride w/ ANYONE of the two-wheel persuasion.........I guess I just get all upset when the Harley riders don't wave back at me!!

[;D]

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd ride with ya anytime, but your bike is still rice. [;)]
View Quote

Hell yeah, I''ll ride w/ ANYONE of the two-wheel persuasion.........I guess I just get all upset when the Harley riders don't wave back at me!!

[;D]

Bulldog OUT
View Quote

Agreed. That does suck. I give all bikes a wave regardless (ok, not mopeds) of make. I really don't care what you ride as long as you do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to admit I am rather happy with my 1984 Yamaha XV1000 Virago. Not terribly uncomfortable, could use louder pipes to let people know I am around, as people in cities tend to think that no one on the road is there except them.

I would take a harley if I found a good deal on one, but I am not going to hold my breath on that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]
As the saying goes:

[size=4][red]I'd rather push my Harley than ride a Jap bike![/size=4][/red]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Highpower, since it was so important for you to spend so much time breaking down my earlier comment, I'll reply to yours.
1. AMF did keep the company going, I agree. These were the first Harleys I ever had contact with
2.Actually, I used to own one and could get another one if I choosed to do so.
I only call a person an asshole if I feel that one individual is acting like one, and I don't believe that anyone who buys a Harley and the "cute" leathers with the embossing are assholes.
3.Bringing up Sherman was meant to illustrate how I see the whole Harley phenomenon. Glitz, and Highdollar. He's been on the road to where he is for a long time, he's worked hard to get where he's at. I personally don't wish to see Harley Davidson turn into Wally Davidson (as in Walmart + H.D.)
4.You and I appear to disagree on what a dealership should look like. I must have missed some of  those "dumps" you mention, and you must have been to quite a few around this country to be able to say that there were "a lot " of them. Personally, whenever I went to a shop, I wasn't looking for "pretty", just parts.
5.REALLY, I'm not angry. You are right, I have only glanced at a couple of stickers on a some new bikes and still didn't like the prices.
I am really glad to see folks riding no matter what they are on. As much as I miss it, I'll bide my time until I get back to riding the way I want to and on the machine I desire.
HURRAY for  H.D. and all the folks employed by them. I still  don't like the path Harley has taken. Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc. have their high dollar vehicles. They also have more reasonable cars/trucks too. Until I walk into another Harley "Yuppie" Davidson dealership, I guess I'll stay ignorant about the variety of bikes and prices they have available.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Is animosity really necessary?

I've never owned a Harley, but that doesn't mean I never will.  The image doesn't matter to me.  

From my younger days to this stage in my life the most important qualities in a bike were reliability, good handling characteristics, quick steering, progressive and responsive suspension, good throttle response, crisp and immediate power delivery, and strong / responsive brakes that are capable of stopping the bike effectively.

I'll agree that Evo' era Harleys are reliable, strong running, and comfortable bikes for cruising. That's great, but what if you want to do some quick laps at Willow Springs Raceway or Brainard?  

What if your kicks come from taching it up to 10k going into a corner, clutching it, grabbing a handfull of front brake then tapping the rear brake just enough to slide and set you up to exit.  Then slamming down a gear or two, dumping the clutch and listen to the engine wail as your front end gets real light and you are catapulted out of the turn like a slingshot?

With the exception of the RPM scale, you could probably attempt that on a Harley, but you'd have to have some pretty damn big, hairy balls made of steel.

You wouldn't tow a trailer with a Geo Prizm.

You wouldn't drive a 4x4 F350 with a V10 and expect it to be economical.

You wouldn't buy a Yamaha R1 if you wanted to spend your weekend sitting on the couch.

You wouldn't buy a Harley if you wanted to ride fast.

OK, I still believe animosity isn't necessary, but facts are facts.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Look lets get basic.... Harleys dont leak oil anymore,....
They still are just for imperssion, or expressing your personality!
If you want to ride because you like motorcycles Harley is not it. If you ride to look cool yes harley is in.
When you want to be comforatble , fast , or far get something else!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, a lot of feelings flowing rampant here.  I have 6 bikes now.  Ducatis and Harleys being 3 of them.  If you like twins and if the Harley is newer than mid-80s, you can't deny the feeling of a muscle car between your legs.

I worked at a custom Harley shop where we specialized in $35K+ long choppers of all kinds just like you saw on the show.  When built right, they will haul ass in a straight line like you wouldn't believe.  I picked up a 40K mile Custom Softtail and have gone through most of it and it doesn't leak at all and it runs like crazy.

On the other hand, I've wrenched at a Ducati dealership and have owned 5 ducks.  I wouldn't trade the handling and power of my ducks for anything.  Easy to work on and handle like no other bike I've ever owned or ridden.

If you want to go faster than a Star Trek ship, get a Jap bike.  Just don't expect a lot of charachter to flow out of them.  They don't sound all that wonderful but do go fast and look great.

All in all, you picj the bike that suits your riding.  Who the hell cares what it's called or who makes it.  Do you get wood when you look at it, ride it.  Then go for it.

In Kansas City, we have the plant and get a good open house once a year to try out the new toys.

Oh, if you want your daddy's station wagon, then go for the BMW.  Very heavy and slow as snot.  Steer like a truck also.  I still like them for the longevity but not for sound or feelings.

Flame away!

I'll keep my ducks and hogs.  You all can have the rest.  Except maybe for the new Honda 919.  That's mine, so stay away from it.

John
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Look lets get basic.... Harleys dont leak oil anymore,....
They still are just for imperssion, or expressing your personality!
If you want to ride because you like motorcycles Harley is not it. If you ride to look cool yes harley is in.
When you want to be comforatble , fast , or far get something else!
View Quote

You were going in the right direction up until the end. Any of the "wide glide" Harleys will be vert comfortable. Any of the EVO's will give you longevity. Speed can be relative. The 1200 sportster is pretty quick & the Buell is faster and handles. As well as the afore mentioned Yamaha F1? nope.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
One observation about Harley riders, which still irks me.

When riding my bike (currently a BMW), when I see another bike approaching, I usually acknowledge them with a wave, and they acknowledge back. It doesn't matter what they are riding, we are just saying "Hey! You're ridding, keep it up!"

Except Harely riders!!!

What's up with that? Are you guys to damn afraid to let go of the handle bar for second to say "Hello" to another motorcycle rider?

Or are you to damn stuck up and will only acknowledge another Harley?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, I wave to everyone on a bike or moped.  I don't care what you ride.  I love watching the moped riders about fall off when you wave to them though.

I wave just so I can take my hand off the bars on the HD.  That way the blood flows back into them after being shaken out.

I love all bikes and anyone with the balls to ride.  Just keep em going and ride everyday.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When riding my bike (currently a BMW), when I see another bike approaching, I usually acknowledge them with a wave, and they acknowledge back. It doesn't matter what they are riding, we are just saying "Hey! You're ridding, keep it up!"

Except Harely riders!!!

What's up with that? Are you guys to damn afraid to let go of the handle bar for second to say "Hello" to another motorcycle rider?

View Quote

I have to admit, I have noticed the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hell, I wave to everyone on a bike or moped.  I don't care what you ride.  I love watching the moped riders about fall off when you wave to them though.

View Quote

Even Mopeds? Damn you really are a good guy. There are just some things I can't do. [X]
You know, F*#king a fat girl & riding a moped are a lot alike.... They both feel good, but you don't want your friends to see ya doing it....
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#30]

I have been Riding Bikes most of my life Harleys and other makes.
Most Harley riders road some other make of bike before they got a Harley.
It is usually the yuppies on a big doller custom (that didn't build the bike they pay somone else)that think their better than others.
Their the one's that don't wave back.

Anyway Here's my toy and if you see me on the road I will wave back and treat you the same as anyone else Harley or not.

[img]http://www.ehomebook.com/users/Pres/images/11.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

DesertRider:

All I got is a documented 132 MPH on a '01 FLHR with the bags still on it (no windshield). Got 99 rear wheel horsepower, and 110 lbs. ft. of torque. It seemed pretty fast to me, though my brother's VMax will do quite a bit better. When I got where I was headed, I had all of my goodies with me in the bags.

Works for me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

DesertRider:

All I got is a documented 132 MPH on a '01 FLHR with the bags still on it (no windshield). Got 99 rear wheel horsepower, and 110 lbs. ft. of torque. It seemed pretty fast to me, though my brother's VMax will do quite a bit better. When I got where I was headed, I had all of my goodies with me in the bags.

Works for me, YMMV.
View Quote

OK.  I'll take my foot out of my mouth.

Those are some pretty respectable numbers.  Though I hate to admit it, while riding a stock Honda CBR1000 on the 210 FRWY once, a Harley (don't know which model) pulled up along side me.  He gave me the "let's go" look, and me being a little over confident, I tried roll on acceleration instead of bothering to downshift.

I know he didn't downshift either, and he just walked away from me.  Took me about two miles to catch up.  There's a lot to be said for a torquey engine that's been heavilly massaged.

I know there are fast Harley's out there, they're just not canyon carvers.  But that's my point.

Why sling insults about what a person rides if it suits their purpose?

Here's something else for you.  I rode bikes from the age of eight till I was thirty one ('97).

Haven't thrown a leg over a street bike since.  Wife doesn't want me to and I can't afford one right now anyway.  Broke my back and am fused from t1 to t5.  Had a laminectomy and decompression between t8 and t9.  Got a scar that runs from just below my neck to about three inches above where my navel would be (if it were on my back)which is how long the rods that held my spine together were.  Spent six months in a wheel chair.

That's right.  I'm a bonafide wannabe biker. I'll ride again, though.

Flame away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OK.  I'll take my foot out of my mouth.

Those are some pretty respectable numbers.  Though I hate to admit it, while riding a stock Honda CBR1000 on the 210 FRWY once, a Harley (don't know which model) pulled up along side me.  He gave me the "let's go" look, and me being a little over confident, I tried roll on acceleration instead of bothering to downshift.

I know he didn't downshift either, and he just walked away from me.  Took me about two miles to catch up.  There's a lot to be said for a torquey engine that's been heavilly massaged.

I know there are fast Harley's out there, they're just not canyon carvers.  But that's my point.

Why sling insults about what a person rides if it suits their purpose?

Here's something else for you.  I rode bikes from the age of eight till I was thirty one ('97).

Haven't thrown a leg over a street bike since.  Wife doesn't want me to and I can't afford one right now anyway.  Broke my back and am fused from t1 to t5.  Had a laminectomy and decompression between t8 and t9.  Got a scar that runs from just below my neck to about three inches above where my navel would be (if it were on my back)which is how long the rods that held my spine together were.  Spent six months in a wheel chair.

That's right.  I'm a bonafide wannabe biker. I'll ride again, though.

Flame away.
View Quote

No animosity here. Ride what you got. Just don't talk smack about my scoot. I haven't insulted anyone here, today. Yet.

If I wanted to carve canyons (not that there are very many of them here in NC), I would look at a Buell. I am happy with what I have, for now. BTW, I asked for torque at the expense of hp, cause I just couldn't see the advantage of a lot of hp in a high revving engine on a bagger.

I know what you mean about injuries. Got a 50% compression fracture of L2 from a tree landing in '86 that I declined fusion on. That was when I decided to ride something more comfortable, and upright. I am currently healing a broken pelvis from a high wind landing and was able to take the Road King out five weeks after the injury. Doubt I would have been able to do that with a sport bike.

Since you have ridden, I would not call you a wannabe, nor would I call you names if you chose something more comfortable to ride. You have ridden, owned a bike, and have plans to do so again. Sounds like you have a basis for an informed opinion.

[edited to reorg quotes]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Sayeth Getsome:

I'd rather push my Harley than ride a Jap bike!
View Quote

And you probably do!  Seriously, I have a Honda VT1100C which I dearly love, but I'll admit the real deal Harley has got the panache.  They are cool, just too much money to blow on a bike just for the label.

And if you talk about retaining the value, keep in mind the extra bucks you had to put in to get the bike and think about the investments you could have made with the money in the meantime.

Harleys are cool and I have never had a problem with a "real" biker.  I just wish so many Harley owners weren't a bunch of yuppie f*cks.  

OK, to close, what do dogs and Harleys have in common?  They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Except Harely riders!!!

View Quote

Maybe, It's 'cause they don't feel a need to wave at every A-hole who happens to own a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Highpower, since it was so important for you to spend so much time breaking down my earlier comment, I'll reply to yours.
1. AMF did keep the company going, I agree. These were the first Harleys I ever had contact with
2.Actually, I used to own one and could get another one if I choosed to do so.
I only call a person an asshole if I feel that one individual is acting like one, and I don't believe that anyone who buys a Harley and the "cute" leathers with the embossing are assholes.
3.Bringing up Sherman was meant to illustrate how I see the whole Harley phenomenon. Glitz, and Highdollar. He's been on the road to where he is for a long time, he's worked hard to get where he's at. I personally don't wish to see Harley Davidson turn into Wally Davidson (as in Walmart + H.D.)
4.You and I appear to disagree on what a dealership should look like. I must have missed some of  those "dumps" you mention, and you must have been to quite a few around this country to be able to say that there were "a lot " of them. Personally, whenever I went to a shop, I wasn't looking for "pretty", just parts.
5.REALLY, I'm not angry. You are right, I have only glanced at a couple of stickers on a some new bikes and still didn't like the prices.
I am really glad to see folks riding no matter what they are on. As much as I miss it, I'll bide my time until I get back to riding the way I want to and on the machine I desire.
HURRAY for  H.D. and all the folks employed by them. I still  don't like the path Harley has taken. Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc. have their high dollar vehicles. They also have more reasonable cars/trucks too. Until I walk into another Harley "Yuppie" Davidson dealership, I guess I'll stay ignorant about the variety of bikes and prices they have available.
View Quote

Sorry, I equate being called a "yuppie" with being called an "A$$hole", but maybe you weren't talking to me.  I do so love my "cute" Harley embossed leathers though.

A couple of dump dealerships:

May's HD in G'ville SC was the worst.
The dealership was bought by a "Yuppie" and moved across town to the right side of the tracks and is now a place you wouldn't mind visiting.  BTW, When May's was open, I lived in a trailer on that side (the wrong side) of town.  I didn't become a "yuppie" 'till much later.

I forget the name, but the dealer in Cola SC was not much better than May's.  Not sure what they have there now.

The old dealership in MB was marginal, but the new place is nice.  Same for East Coast in Dumfries VA.

There are others up and down the east coast I could mention, but my dealing with them were minimal.

As far as cool old line dealers, Waugh Enterprises in Orange VA comes to mind.  He's got a great operation that still retains the old heritage.

IIRC, it's Southeast HD in Cleveland that also has a really cool shop that's been there for a while, though they've added on to make it a place to ride to.

I visted some nice old shops out west, AZ, CO, CA on my few trips out that way.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Harely riders!!!

View Quote

Maybe, It's 'cause they don't feel a need to wave at every A-hole who happens to own a motorcycle.
View Quote

Personally, I think you are very rude then.

People who ride because they like to ride are different than those who ride because of the machine that they have. Which looks like you are the latter type.

You on your Superglide, which obviously you are in love with, which almost sounds like that is all that you love about motorcycleing. Tweaking, adding this, that, seeing how much HP you can get out of it, how loud you can make it, etc.

I have to wonder when you go out for a ride, do you only talk to other HD riders? And talk down to anyone else riding anything other than HD. Which then proves my point that a good deal of HD riders are just to stuck up and bigoted about any other bike rider.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Harely riders!!!

View Quote

View Quote

Personally, I think you are very rude then.

People who ride because they like to ride are different than those who ride because of the machine that they have. Which looks like you are the latter type.

You on your Superglide, which obviously you are in love with, which almost sounds like that is all that you love about motorcycleing. Tweaking, adding this, that, seeing how much HP you can get out of it, how loud you can make it, etc.

I have to wonder when you go out for a ride, do you only talk to other HD riders? And talk down to anyone else riding anything other than HD. Which then proves my point that a good deal of HD riders are just to stuck up and bigoted about any other bike rider.
View Quote

My friend, apperances can be decieving.  Actually, I wave at pretty much every biker I see unless I need my hand for something else, or have hit my quota for the day.  (Have you ever tried to wave at every biker you see at Daytona?)

I wave, I just don't get bent if they don't wave back,  there ain't no obligation. Also since I ride a Harley, I notice exactly the opposite phenomenom of what was described.  If I don't get wave back, the guy is most likely on a Jap or German bike.

Yep, I'm in love with my bike.  I like working on my bike, and customizing it.  It's to the point now where I like it as is, so all I do now is ride it.  My bike(s) have literally changed my life.  My wife and I have had adventures together that have brought us closer together.  We have built a large and diverse group of close friends thorugh our riding.  Since I have to try to explain, it's clear you'll never understand.

Most of the guys I ride with do ride Harley's but neither they, nor I, would put any one down for what they ride.  Several rode other brands before they got a Harley.  That being the case, I have little tolerence for anyone that puts down what I ride.  I react especially harshly to criticisim of my ride from those whose ride is the metrobus.

Most of the folks I meet on the road are honest, genuine people who work hard and their bike represents a significant expense for them.  They are not rich. They are not Yuppies.  Their bikes don't break, leak oil or get pushed.  They have adequate power for a cruiser and aren't a hell of a lot more expensive than a big Jap cruiser and you can't buy a larger BMW for less.

If you you don't want one fine, don't get one.  If you think everyone who does ride one is a "yuppie" that's fine too, but expect some push back if you make your opinion public.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My friend, apperances can be decieving.  Actually, I wave at pretty much every biker I see unless I need my hand for something else, or have hit my quota for the day.  (Have you ever tried to wave at every biker you see at Daytona?)
View Quote

Actually I ended up waving at every bike up at Laguna Seca (forgot it was THAT weekend) when I did a road trip. Yep, I have to admitt that I went way over my "hello" quota that day!

I wave, I just don't get bent if they don't wave back,  there ain't no obligation. Also since I ride a Harley, I notice exactly the opposite phenomenom of what was described.  If I don't get wave back, the guy is most likely on a Jap or German bike.
View Quote

Well I guess it goes both ways then. But again, I do miss some when I don't "see" them till it is to late (concentrating on what's ahead) [|)]

Yep, I'm in love with my bike.  I like working on my bike, and customizing it.  It's to the point now where I like it as is, so all I do now is ride it.  My bike(s) have literally changed my life.  My wife and I have had adventures together that have brought us closer together.  We have built a large and diverse group of close friends thorugh our riding.  Since I have to try to explain, it's clear you'll never understand.
View Quote

You didn't have to explain it to me, I understand and enjoy the same thing.

Most of the guys I ride with do ride Harley's but neither they, nor I, would put any one down for what they ride.  Several rode other brands before they got a Harley.  That being the case, I have little tolerence for anyone that puts down what I ride.  I react especially harshly to criticisim of my ride from those whose ride is the metrobus.
View Quote

Criticisms from caggers are definately NOT allowed. If you [i]ride[/i], then you have earned the right to make contstructive comments.

Most of the folks I meet on the road are honest, genuine people who work hard and their bike represents a significant expense for them.  They are not rich. They are not Yuppies.  Their bikes don't break, leak oil or get pushed.  They have adequate power for a cruiser and aren't a hell of a lot more expensive than a big Jap cruiser and you can't buy a larger BMW for less.

If you you don't want one fine, don't get one.  If you think everyone who does ride one is a "yuppie" that's fine too, but expect some push back if you make your opinion public.
View Quote

I never said, ALL HD riders are "yuppies". It is just that lately, all I see are yuppie HD riders out for their Sunday ride. I find it a shame that they tarnish the name of any motorcycle ridding group.

I have always said (maybe not on this thread) that [i]you[/i] ride what [i]you[/i] like.

I think we are on the same page now [;)] Hope to see you on the road some day, will pay for a beer!

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#40]
My $.02... I ride a Harley.  I wave to just about everyone.  If they don't wave back, oh well.  Sometimes I can't because I may be pre-occupied, shifting gears, whatever.  So it could be the same for them.  I don't care what you ride, as long as you ride.  All folks on two wheels feel a sort of 'kinship', because we're all in this together.  I kid my neighbor about his Kawasaki, he kids me about mine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#41]
MC_Man

Amen!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Why do people insist on putting Harley Davidson down. They are doing business the American way, through great marketing. They created a demand for their product and are making money. Isn't that what being in business is all about?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why do people insist on putting Harley Davidson down. They are doing business the American way, through great marketing. They created a demand for their product and are making money. Isn't that what being in business is all about?
View Quote

Harley Davidson in itself (the company) has, and has had nothing to do with the creation of the demand or market for Harleys we have seen in the last decade.

Past Harley owners, [b]themselves[/b], have unintentionally created the demand.

The often stereotyped “Free Rider” with no cares or obligations who rides adventurously down the highway has not gone unnoticed.  Soon every working stiff on up to the corporate yuppie has wanted a weekend taste of such freedoms and the identity that come with it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Guzzler,

Agreed.  If we met on the road I'm sure we'd get along fine.  

I hope to get back out your way again.  My wife and I did a 4 day loop on a rented Electra Glide from Phoneix-Wickenburg-Prescott-Cottonwood-Sedona-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon-Flagstaff-Winslow-Peyson-Phoneix last summer (May)and had a blast.

I want to go back and hit Monument Valley and the North Rim and I also want to see the Tombstone area.

The other big trip we took last year was a 5 day loop around Nova Scotia.  Full leathers every day and it was 4th of July week. The wife liked AZ better, but NS was more of an adventure for me.  Though I'd move to AZ but forget living in NS despite the uncanny beauty and wildness of the place.  Too damn Cold too much of the time.

I'd like to get stome buddies to go back north and hit Newfoundland, but after hearing my wife bitch about the cold in NS and rave about Arizona, thers no way my buddies are going even futher north.  I suspect talking them into a trip to AZ would be pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I hope to get back out your way again. My wife and I did a 4 day loop on a rented Electra Glide from Phoneix-Wickenburg-Prescott-Cottonwood-Sedona-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon-Flagstaff-Winslow-Peyson-Phoneix last summer (May)and had a blast.
View Quote

Ah betcha hit Jerome then between Cottonwood and Sedona, a pretty cool place even if it is pretty touristy.  If you make it out here again shoot me an email and the Mrs. and I will join ya for at least part.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Guzzler,

Agreed.  If we met on the road I'm sure we'd get along fine.  

I hope to get back out your way again.  My wife and I did a 4 day loop on a rented Electra Glide from Phoneix-Wickenburg-Prescott-Cottonwood-Sedona-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon-Flagstaff-Winslow-Peyson-Phoneix last summer (May)and had a blast.

I want to go back and hit Monument Valley and the North Rim and I also want to see the Tombstone area.

The other big trip we took last year was a 5 day loop around Nova Scotia.  Full leathers every day and it was 4th of July week. The wife liked AZ better, but NS was more of an adventure for me.  Though I'd move to AZ but forget living in NS despite the uncanny beauty and wildness of the place.  Too damn Cold too much of the time.

I'd like to get stome buddies to go back north and hit Newfoundland, but after hearing my wife bitch about the cold in NS and rave about Arizona, thers no way my buddies are going even futher north.  I suspect talking them into a trip to AZ would be pretty easy.
View Quote

Hipower:

If you want to go to Tombstone, go duing "Helldorado Days" if you can.  That place, along with Bisbee, but for a different reason, is a real trip. Tucson is great, too.

You know, maybe we should plan the Arizona trips around class dates at Gunsite, I have a buddy there....
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I plan to be able to afford getting the FLTRI like your sig-post is showing...nice ride.
Got pictures?
Check out the H-D website for a really great photo of the Road Glide in "Diamond Ice".
Wow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#48]
... Here is a picture of one of my best friends on Main in Sturgis, SD several years ago. I took this picture of him in all his glory. Him, two other buddies and me rode all the way there and back from Mesa, AZ. 3500 miles. As the movie goes we "drank more beer, pissed more blood, and banged more quiff than all you numb-nuts put together" that summer. Man, I'll never forget the times we had on that run.
We all wore sidearms open-carry except for the city of Denver.
Sam and I used to make that run up through Prescott, Jerome and Cottonwood about once a month. Hanged out at the Liberty Inn in Jerome to chase girls, drink a couple beers, dancing and shoot pool.
Sam died on this bike a couple years ago on a solo run to Jerome to listen to his favorite band playing. He kept prodding me to go that day but I wasn't feeling well. Some asshole killed him passing in a no passing zone pulling a boat.
... I miss him, he was good people. I gave his eulogy to a crowd of bikers and friends well over a 1000 strong.
The highways in Arizona haven’t been the same since.
[img]http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/408600/423895/6384561.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Chairborne,

Jerome was great.  I knew nothing about the place, so it was a totally unexpected treat.

Just past Jerome I ran into a cop at convinece store where we had stopped for a drink.  Both He and the female store clerk were Harley riders and so we reviewed our route plan with them.  The cop  suggested the route from Winslow down through Peyson, which was as awesome a ride as the way up.  Good People, up that way.

SF, When are "Helldarado" days?  

We had toyed with trying to make the Laughlin River run from Phoenix.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Hipower:

3rd week of October, after some of the heat has gone.

"Named after the annual event held the 3rd weekend in October celebrating the O.K. Corral shootout. The city of Tombstone celebrated with wild and woolly boomtown years before its heyday came to an end in 1886. During those years, Tombstones' street and visitors soon feel like they have returned to a bygone time. Bullets fly and good guys and bad fall to the dust as the vigilantes, a group dressed in authentic costuming of the 1800's, stage shootouts on Allen Street on alternating weekends. The Wild Bunch, guns blazing, reenact the famous Gunfight at the O.K. Corral."

Lots of bikes there, too, or they were a few years ago when we ducked down from Ft. Huachuca. Town is mostly saloons and rennovated whorehouses, with selected hsitorical markers where the shootouts occurred and the Earps resided. All in all, a very strange place, but very hospitable.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top