Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/12/2002 8:37:01 AM EDT
His article: [url]http://projo.com/cgi-bin/story.pl/news/06840622.htm[/url] My reply: Mr. Kerr, Your post reeks of a knee-jerk contempt for guns, gun owners, and those who use guns. You, like many in your line of work (and what I suspect to be your general political and social leanings) seem both happy and eager to equate gun ownership with mental defect. Have you ever fired a gun in a civilian context (specifically excluding any possible traumatic Vietnam experiences you may choose to dramatize)? Do you actually own a gun? Have you actually known gun owners? Do you understand that there are men with these very same scary, evil guns that your tax money pays for, who in theory keep you safe from criminals and assorted foreigners with colorful and exciting political traditions? Do you understand that for much of the country, guns are an accepted and celebrated part of life, not hallmarks of onrushing senile dementia as they are in your benighted corner of the world? Do yourself a favor as an (holding myself back) objective journalist, and take a look at this from the other side of the fence. Try this website for starters: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/ Don't worry. I'll spare you the various quotes and factoids, as I am certain you'd ignore them anyway. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why I bother to write you at all.... maybe to encourage your readers to look beyond your article, which tars gun owners with a very dirty brush indeed. I don't know your senator... he might be a mental case. But you deliberately imply that all of us are. I know that not to be the case. Oh, one final thing. Journalistic sarcasm doesn't become you... it only makes it easier to discount you as "yet another elitist East Coast Liberal alleged journalist, dripping with snarky venom and bile". But that description wouldn't fit you at all, would it Mr. Kerr? Respectfully Yours, Andrew Benton Austin, TX
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:41:35 AM EDT
Top Top