ROSENBERG, Texas — Authorities are trying to
                                   determine why a seventh-grade Texas student
                                   had five homemade bombs in his bedroom.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42649,00.html[/url]

View Quote

They were his Science project.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, since the man can't stop people from building them it's about time to start banning Homes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
While I do not condone this type of action from a teenager (or anyone) before i was educated in the ways of the world I used to make pipe bombs and stuff that went BOOM all the time...I didnt relise what would happen to me if I got caught....I was prety heavy into illegal pyrotechnics as a teenager we would make bombs with timers all different kinds of burning material and what not..but as a teenager other then the ilegal act of making them and ignighting them I didnt do any thing illegal with them....cant they just concider that maybe to this kid there just fireworks that he dosnt relise the true affect of making and possesing such dangerous items.....I wonder
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ROSENBERG, Texas — Authorities are trying to
                                   determine why a seventh-grade Texas student
                                   had five homemade bombs in his bedroom.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42649,00.html[/url]

View Quote

Ban Texas. For the children.

Seriously... I was into this sort of thing when I was a puerile youth. Why? Things that go bang are fun, and it was a scientific challenge to see if you could get them to work. Hell, we built model rocket bazookas with .410 shell warheads. Never vandalized anything, we just wanted to see if we could get it to work.

Yes, we did. We could reliably hit an old door in a field (propped against a tree) from about a football field length with our little bazookas.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It has seemed that they have definately taken the intent out of the laws.  When I was young my brother and I made Napalm, pipe bombs,  very big firecrackers.  My dads workshop was our R&D Laboratory. OUr intent was just curiosity. but I guess now that some kids intent goes past curiosity, the laws have changed.  We now have kids killing people with that.  And you know whats funny.  When we were building those things we ever thought about using them for anything other then Fun.  I don't know what has happened , but what a frickin shame.
Did you know the acetyline and oxygen make one hell of a tennis ball mortar.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was younger we would make bombs too. But things were different then, you didn't have the school shootings and problems like that. Hell, we made firecrackers that would blow the doors off old cars. Never would take them to school though. We were just having fun.[pyro]
                      Parker2,
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the top of a 12 gram CO2 container (just big enough tightly accept cannon fuse), fill it with gunpowder, and fuse it?  I used to do this a lot when I was in grade school.  Those things go off with one helluva bang.  In retrospect it was pretty stupid, but fun.

P.S. If you try it, BURRY THE DAMN THING!  Metal will fly.

Edited to say in recent retrospect I'm not sure I should have listed instructions.  If you think I should delete my post, let me know.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
no need to delete the post it is for "information purposes only"...

i do the same thing (sorta) with 12 ga shotshells..

pop the primer and replace with christmass tree light bulb.( first break off the top of bulb) seal with epoxy resine.

fill with gun powder, and pak it in. place small wad of paper on top and useing re-loader crimp the case..

attach wirwing with small aligator clips, and rin wireing to about 50 yards (yore distance reqourements may vary) and useing 9 v battery connect wires to battery to ignite.

hjehehhehehheee  its really fun. on a side note, rubber cement and bb's make it a really effective claymore.. tested on cardboard boxes only.

have fun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the top of a 12 gram CO2 container (just big enough tightly accept cannon fuse), fill it with gunpowder, and fuse it?  I used to do this a lot when I was in grade school.  Those things go off with one helluva bang.  In retrospect it was pretty stupid, but fun.

Edited to say in recent retrospect I'm not sure I should have listed instructions.  If you think I should delete my post, let me know.

View Quote

yes, we surrounded ours with boxes, they were shreded. we also make little fun ones out of russian 762x39 cases.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
It must suck to be a kid now.  When I was that age, I was blowing up all sorts of stuff.  We made pipe bombs and grenades all the time. If the cops caught you with a cherry bomb or torpedo, they would tell you not to blow your fingers off and keep on going.  As long as you were being careful, everything was okay.  Today, having 1 firecracker is a felony in the PRK.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Ya' know... this is funny but I used to dabble in pyrotechnics as kid also.

One time when I was little, this is funny, I got a piece of pipe from a water main, ya' know, those BIG mothers.  Welded one side shut. Pounded it into a sphere leaving one small opening  Cracked open about 1,000 M80s, packed it all in the pipe along with about 96 detonators evenly spaced around the outer surface. Then got about 30 lbs of weapons-grade uranium (my science teacher was really cool) and packed it into the center.

Damn, that thing went off like you wouldn't believe.  They still talk about it 'round these parts. [}:D]

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

HEY!!!!  My job is to ask for pointless banning of things impossible to ban!!  Just for that:

And:

Ban all Spearweasels.

For the children.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
We used to do all kinds of crap like that too.  I found that using a model rocket ignition system worked great.

We also used to try to hit buried shotgun rounds in the primer w/ a BB gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

HEY!!!!  My job is to ask for pointless banning of things impossible to ban!!  Just for that:

And:

Ban all Spearweasels.

For the children.
View Quote

[>Q]Damn you Redmanfms[>Q], my banning was an [smoke]Homage[smoke] to your bantasticalness[pissed].  [stick]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, kids just can't have fun anymore.   Atleast if I was growing up today I would have my butt in a sling pretty quick for all the sorts of crap like this I did when I was a kid.

Man, there is some real fun to be had, problem is that some stupid asses have changed the way these things are viewed so where it's no longer some jackass kid out  having fun now it's some jackass kid out trying to murder somebody.

I forget when I learned about 2liter dry ice bombs but MAN those things are fun, for the amount of noise they make you'd think a very massive pipe bomb just went off but the reality of it is that if you are careful the things are fairly safe with little danger from flying debris.

Anyhow, better stop before I go and so something stupid like further incriminate myself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Man, kids just can't have fun anymore.   Atleast if I was growing up today I would have my butt in a sling pretty quick for all the sorts of crap like this I did when I was a kid.

Man, there is some real fun to be had, problem is that some stupid asses have changed the way these things are viewed so where it's no longer some jackass kid out  having fun now it's some jackass kid out trying to murder somebody.

View Quote

Agreed

I am 26 now, I just barely made the "Its normal for kids to do that" time period
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I did sorta the same thing with toilet paper rolls and electrical tape...no metal to fly around...  man were they loud too![whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#19]
A little sulphur and a little sugar wrapped tightly in a paper towel. Wrap in loose paper towel. Light outside towel and throw in front of cars.....made a nice sparkly smoke bomb when I was about 13 - 14.

THEN:  The policeman told our mommies and we promised not to do it anymore.

TODAY: Jail, a record and if the person that you scared is of another race or religion, it's a hate crime and you're in jail until you are old!

F******G PC shit!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Bob, believe it or not, the 12gm CO2's actually produce some concussion.  Those little things bursted at such high pressure, they would pulverize a cinder block like a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bob, believe it or not, the 12gm CO2's actually produce some concussion.  Those little things bursted at such high pressure, they would pulverize a cinder block like a sledge hammer.
View Quote

I could imagine, they probably built up quite a bit of pressure before exploding....
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
"
Seriously... I was into this sort of thing when I was a puerile youth. Why? Things that go bang are fun, and it was a scientific challenge to see if you could get them to work. Hell, we built model rocket bazookas with .410 shell warheads. Never vandalized anything, we just wanted to see if we could get it to work.

Yes, we did. We could reliably hit an old door in a field (propped against a tree) from about a football field length with our little bazookas." POSTED BY SPEARWEASEL

I wish I'd grown up in your neighborhood. That sounds like fun. We just shot bottle rockets at bats. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I always like doing the Works and aluminum foil in a glass bottle shake it up then run like hell. Then there was taping a marble on the primer of a shotgun shell and the throw it . It made a nice frag grenade. The good old days
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Man, everybody is talking in the past tense.  "We did...", "We used to...", "I once...", oh wait!  I forgot!  I used to do that stuff too! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ROSENBERG, Texas — Authorities are trying to determine why a seventh-grade Texas student had five homemade bombs in his bedroom.
View Quote

Aren't there any schools around?  Obviously he was trying to blow one up!  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Another fun thing to do is open up a 3.5 inch floppy disk make sure you can snap  back together and then crush some match head in to powder,then place a little nail polish on the disk and sprinkle with the powdered match head's close the disk back up then let some dumb a$$ place it in there computer.

Nothing like having a fire in side your computer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#28]
In the "olden days" me and my neighborhood buds would create some IMPRESSIVE SHTUFF!

But sometimes experiments could go wrong!  I remember one incident where my friend accidently set off a small (luckily) explosive in is garage.  He had a goofy grin on his face after the bang (thinking nothing bad had happened), but started screaming after he saw the blood flowing from multiple shrapnel wounds!

He said he didn't even feel the impact of the high velocity fragments and only realised something was wrong when he saw the blood.

To make a long story short....no fingers blown off, no eyes put out!  But it did halt our "pyrotechnics developement program"..... for about a month!  [:P]

DaMan

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey I STILL do that stuff (fun with fireworks, potato cannons, etc). Just today you have to be careful about the cops!

Man, I have some amazing stories, hahaha.

[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top