Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]Back on topic,again [/b]

Kcal9 and OCSD confirm the suspect's name is David Reza.

Total count is;
254 guns
approx 5K of ammo
undisclosed amount of cocaine.
undisclosed Narcotics Paraphenelia.

Press conference revealed the chemical in the ammo can ended up being CS or CN powder Not copper solvent as some here speculated.

On the news footage I saw several old revolvers & break action shotguns. Saw a couple 37 or 40mm rounds of an unknown type. Saw one LAW rocket, used/inert. Saw one 20mm ammocan link ammo for the LAV25 comes in.

Darn KCal 9 news banner covered most of the rifles during the press conference.

To their credit the cops said they are still trying to determine the legality of the AW's.

Anyone on the Board know David Reza? Did he post here? One of Imbroglio's buddies?

The website says he is a white male. But the photo shown during the press conferance made him look american indian or asian. Is Reza and american indian name?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The main reason gun sales in California are down now is because the market here is saturated. Most people already have all the guns they wanted.
View Quote

I wish my gun safe were saturated!  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever have all the guns I want...[whacko]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The portion of your quote which preceded your description of workplace sexual fantasies.

I certainly hope your secretary is female![shock]
View Quote

California the root of all evil? Arguments can be made to substantiate this. Case in point:
a) I make my secretary make the coffee because she has to bend over to reach the coffee beans.
b) I actually get turned on when I yell at her for making contract mistakes. - God, I'm evil.
c) The worst - I sometimes have to stay sitting in my leather chair because some of her outfits are sexy as hell.
Ok, California is the root of all evil. And I'm part of that evil. bwahahahaha!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Back on topic:

Two deputies at the storage unit were overcome by a yellowish vapor that officials later identified as military-grade tear gas being stored in an ammunition canister, Amormino said. The deputies were taken to a hospital to be examined, and a hazardous material team was sent to the site.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
San Onofre threat suspect says he's innocent

Ex-worker had cache of weapons in his home and in a rented storage shed.

January 9, 2002

SHERIFF'S INVESTIGATORS SEARCH through piles of boxes and clutter early Wednesday at the San Juan Capistrano storage locker rented by David Reza. They found thousands of rounds of ammunition, 200 guns, live and inert grenades and a small rocket launcher early today.
Photo: Chas Metivier / The Register

By JONATHAN VOLZKE, KELLY TOKARSKI and BILL RAMS
The Orange County Register

More than 200 weapons, including military assault rifles, were found at a San Juan Capistrano storage unit rented by a man who allegedly made threats after being fired from the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station.

Police arrested David Reza, 44, of Laguna Niguel at 9 p.m. Tuesday. He was a pipefitter at the San Onofre nuclear power plant, but was involved in a disability dispute with the company. On Friday, he called the plant and said he was going to go there to shoot and kill his co-workers and a supervisor, according to Orange County Sheriff's deputies, who began investigating the case Monday.

In a telephone interview from the Orange County Jail this morning, Reza told The Orange County Register that he did not threaten anybody. He said he was being picked on because he is a Native American and because of
the ongoing disabilty dispute with Edison.

"I didn't threaten anybody," he said. "I was just upset and told this guy ... 'do I have to come over there and put my foot in your a-- to get them moving.'"

Deputies searched his Laguna Niguel home, in the 24000 block of Via Verde, at 6 p.m. Tuesday. They found 50 weapons there and a substance they thought was cocaine. That led them to Reza's storage unit off Alipaz Street.

They found more than 200 weapons, including an SKS assault rifle, an M-16 and an AR-15, a civilian version of the same weapon. Also found were 4,000 to 5,000 rounds of ammunition and 10-15 knives including a 9-inch-blade bayonet. Some inert grenades and an expended rocket launcher, indicating it had been fired, also were found.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Two deputies inhaled an unknown gas as they opened the ammo box. They were treated at Mission Hospital and released.

Reza is charged with threatening terror, possession of a controlled substance and possession of illegal weapons. He was being held in Orange County Jail.

Reza, who said he is a former U.S. Marine, said he's not a terrorist and he's been picked on because of his American Indian background.

"In this country, we're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and I've already been wrongly accused," he said. "They need to look into this." He said he has collected guns since he was a kid. The guns, he said, are antiques. He also collects antique toys and furniture, he said.

He worked for Edison 17 years, in a rocky relationship. He said the company doesn't like him because of his American Indian background, because of an earlier dispute with the utility and because he is now collecting
disability. He said he's recently been battling the utility over money.

His neighbor, Andrea Tilden, 34, who lives next door with her husband, Pete, and three children, said Reza and his girlfriend are "the greatest people."

"They are very friendly," she said. "They're really nice people. They always wave to us and chat, and they're very hard workers."

Reza is a former board member of the San Juan Capistrano Fiesta Association, the volunteer group that organizes the Swallows Day Parade and related activities. Members of the group, clad in black vests and badges, wear real guns on Swallows Day and fire blanks.He said he rides a horse every year in the parade, and that Edison has used his participation in the parade as an indication that his disability claim might be bogus.

Matt Gaffney, San Juan Capistrano resident, said Reza has bought him a drink at the Swallows Inn, where Reza used to work. Reza was a bouncer and used to purport himself as "Dave the professional bullrider."

"But he was more of a drugstore cowboy," Gaffney said. "When my friend
showed up for a ride, he said Dave's horse took off, he couldn't control it
and was yelling 'whoa, whoa.' I think the closest he ever gets to a horse
is walking behind one at Swallows parade."

Gaffney didn't see Reza as a terrorist, either, and FBI terrorist experts have ruled out any links to terrorist organizations.

"I think the guy's relatively harmless," Gaffney said. "I don't think he's a budding terrorist. He's the type to screw around and make a lot of noise, but harmless."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff writers Jessica Peralta and Nellene Teubner contributed to this
report.    

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
2400 block of Via Verde. That's less than two miles from my place. Near Nellie Gail. Should go by there and see if there's a fire sale.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe that folks are defending California.  You say the laws allow you to own so called "assault rifles" as long as they are registered.  What is your response going to be when they use the registration list to confiscate them?  Didn't they do that with SKS's?  Registration, then consfication.

Some seem to take the registration requirements lightly.  I wouldn't and if I had been living there, I would be gone by now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

... Reza is a former board member of the San Juan Capistrano Fiesta Association, the volunteer group that organizes the Swallows Day Parade and related activities. Members of the group, clad in black vests and badges, wear real guns on Swallows Day and fire blanks ...

View Quote

So, am I correct in understanding that Reza wears leather, can only "fire blanks", does something with horses, and swallows?  Is that right?

Overall, sounds like a real nut, and a loser - a "victim of societal oppression and discrimination" kind of nut.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
This case serves as an example of why some "novelty" items, like inert hand grenades and LAW rocket tubes are a waste of your money.
They serve no pratical purpose and they serve well for demonizing you in the press.

Dont expect John Q. Public to know the difference between a live hand grenade, a practise hand grenade with a live fuse assembly, and a dummy hand grenade with a inert fuse assembly. possession of any of them is going to make you look bad in the trial of public opinion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There are de facto bans sales and transfers of several firearms in California.  

Your children will never be able to inherit a registered "assault weapon", as they are required to obtain a permit from DOJ (fat chance) and pay a $288 fee.  Your children will need a Firearms Safety Certificate (gun purchase license) to inherit or take possession of a firearm.  Loaning a handgun or "AW" to spouse or child at any place other than a range is a crime, punishable by a year in prison.

Handguns must be on the "not disapproved" list per SB15.  The listings have an expiration date so the State can collect annual tribute from the manufacturers.  There is a bill pending that will mandate mag disconnect safeties and chamber loaded indicators.  It is a Senate Floor vote away from Gray Davis' desk.

The new trigger lock law has caused sales of some firearms to stop.  Take the M1A for example.  Since DOJ has not designated an approved trigger lock for it, you must furnish evidence of safe ownership to take possession.  Most of the approved trigger locks are from 3 small companies.  If their production runs out, gun sales end until they can produce more.  Integral locks like on Taurus and Springfield pistols are NOT acceptable.

Next year, you must have a handgun purchase license.  You take a test and one is issued to you.  When you buy a handgun, you must provide proof of residency (license AND utility bills), a thumbprint, present your purchase license, and demonstrate safe handling of the firearm to be purchased.  THEN you can go through your background check, pay your newly increased DROS fees, and wait 10 days to take possession.  BTW, your handgun is registered and logged with the DOJ Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information.  This will effectively end legal sales of handguns in California.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the pics. I see at least two M1 Carbines, possibly three but the folder may be a Mini-14.

Looks like his collection was mostly old blue and wood beaters.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...Didn't they do that with SKS's?  Registration, then consfication...
View Quote

No, it never happened (not yet, I'll add for the nay sayers in other states). One old guy got busted because he DIDN'T register his SKS with detachable mag and then later tried to.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't believe that folks are defending California.  You say the laws allow you to own so called "assault rifles" as long as they are registered.  What is your response going to be when they use the registration list to confiscate them?  Didn't they do that with SKS's?  Registration, then consfication.

Some seem to take the registration requirements lightly.  I wouldn't and if I had been living there, I would be gone by now.
View Quote

I defend the state, not the laws. It's still a beautiful place to live.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top