Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 10:03:56 PM EDT
I'm looking at a C3 gun on a "Form 3" in Oregon...

What the hell does that mean ?

It's a M11/9 w/suppressor...

This means 2 tax stamps ?
If I buy it, what kind of money and BS will go through to get it to PA ???

THANKS

ART
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at a C3 gun on a "Form 3" in Oregon...

What the hell does that mean ?

It's a M11/9 w/suppressor...

This means 2 tax stamps ?
If I buy it, what kind of money and BS will go through to get it to PA ???

THANKS

ART
View Quote

Find a Class III in Pa. to get accurate info.

On a Form 4 the gun/destructive device etc., can be owned by a person without a Class III license - after all the approvals.

Like I said on this one you start local.  See if there's a Sheriff, DA, etc., that'll sign off in your local area.

A good Class III (Local) will know this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't have a problem with Sheriff signoff, he's a freind of my family, and is C3 freindly too...

Just wondering the diff between the forms...

Form3 means "with C3 dealer"?
Form 4 means "privately owned" ?

Just a guess...

I'll ask over in the M16 forums...

Thanks, Subsir..
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Art--

1.  Form 4 is what you as an individual posses the gun on--a Tax paid transfer.

2.  A Form 3 is a Tax Free transfer from a Dealer to a Dealer (SOT to SOT--they pay a "Special Occupational Tax" of $500 a year that covers all their transfers).  

3.  A Form 3 is what you want to buy a gun that is out of state on--less hassle, as it is already in a dealer's possesion, and a quicker (generally around a month) transfer to your dealer.  A Form 4 is OK for an in-state purchase, as you can just pay one tax to move it off of the Seller's Form 4 onto a Form 4 for you.  If the gun is on a Form 4 out of state, it has to have ANOTHER $200 tax paid to get it to a dealer (it can go direct to your dealer) where it goes on a Form 3, and then onto another Form 4 to you--that is why you will occasionally see a firearm listed as "$xxx, on a Form 4, buyer to pay taxes" (means add $200 to the cost of the gun, in addition to the tax you will have to pay to get it on a Form 4 to you.

The Supressor is also an NFA item, so you will have to pay a tax on it also when you get it transfered to you.  Again, if it is on a Form 3, there is no tax to get it from the dealer who has it to your dealer.   Supressors are generally cheap enough that it is difficult to sell one on a Form 4, unless you sell it to someone in your state directly to another Form 4 (i.e. no-one wants to pay an extra $200 on a $400 supressor, it's cheaper and easier to find one already on a Form 3).

E-mail if you want more info.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top