BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 9:43:08 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42424,00.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That's one of them dual purpose weapons.

When it runs out of ammo, and entire squad of infantry can hide behind it for cover.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That's one of them dual purpose weapons.

When it runs out of ammo, and entire squad of infantry can hide behind it for cover.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
[IMG]http://www.hkpro.com/oicwright.jpg[/IMG]

[url]http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
A semi-auto version ought to be released for the civialian market immediately. That what I think.

Who wants one? (1,2,3,4,5........)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I am so there, plus I already own the mags!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Doubtful there ever will be a civilian version.  As we all know, grenade launchers are destructive devices.  Good luck getting one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't I read a year or so ago this weapon was "shelved" (given up on for now) as being too expensive, or prone to malfunction, or somesuch?  I could be wrong . . .
View Quote

B. Keeper,
I believe I've read the weapon was delayed but not shelved.
The Army wants time to reduce weight, size and power consumption.  Actually, I should say the Army wants to give technology time to improve to the point where the afore stated is possible.

This subject, if not this thread, is important.
I'm a bit surprised at the "nay" sayers as this really is a very bright group and many very experienced with firearms and the military.

"I'll carry that plastic piece of shit (M16) when they pry my M-14 from cold dead fingers."

Update: "I'll carry that (big) plastic piece of shit (OICW) when they pry my M16 (and variants) from cold dead fingers."

Well, at least all we resist is change.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather have an M14.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd rather have an M14.
View Quote

Amen brother!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it me,or does that thing look like a fat,bloated,G-36?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not want to carry that thing and all my gear as well.  It would probably be a lot of fun at the range though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Like to see one of those sneaking in the rear door of an Army Surplus store.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]
About two years ago, I went to a big combat weapons convention here in DC.  All the usual suspects were there (It was GREAT!) with every neat wartoy know to the free world.  Everything from FAEs to this cheesy rifle/grenade launcher thingy.

The company that builds this thing had a mockup there to fondle.  As I talked to their booth marketeers, at first I thought, "Cool...I'd like to shoot this thing."  Now, I'm not so sure.

The weapon "system" includes a 5.56mm rifle, superimposed by a 20mm grenade launcher.  The sighting device includes a laser to range the grenade targets.  Range data is then fed to the grenades and they are fired, [hopefully] going off right over the target.  The PR pix they had were showing the grenade round being used against troops in a fighting hole.  Nothing about bunders or vehicles...but 20mm isn't very robust.

I've been following its development since then and I've come full circle:  I don't like it.

This thing is heavy at +20lbs loaded but without extra mags for the 20mm cannon and the 5.56mm "rifle".  Frankly, I would much prefer to hump an M16A2M4 with lots of ammo around than this thing or an M203.  A good gunner can put his grenades right where he wants them...and out to a longer range and bigger grenades than the new weapon can deliver.

It is bulky, meaning it will make concealment harder for the trooper.  As most of us know...an M4 ain't that big...and you can shoot it well from prone.  

I costs a LOT of $$$.  The exact numbers fail me, but I think it was on the order of $20kdols+ per weapon.

The weapon has lots of 'tron parts...and I'm not sure how well they will hold up in battle.  When they DO fail...then what?

I also understand that there are plans afoot to downlink the video from the gunsight to the REMFs...sort of like in Aliens?  That gives me the willies too...since an officer should lead from the FRONT.  Not sure how senior the viewers are going to be...but I sorta like the example set by the greatest infantry officers, like Chamberlain, Caesar, Puller, Edson and Capt. Winters...of the Band of Brothers fame.

I understand that some infantry units have been operationally testing this thing for some time now.  Good...if it is a viable weapon and it will improve out combat capability...then buy it.  If not...shitcan the damn thing.  Don't saddle our troops with a turkey.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thing has a ways to go before it's combat ready. One blew up in testing severely injuring the operator. Right now it's in the Program Definition and Risk Reduction (PDRR) phase and I understand they got the weight down to 12 lbs. and the cost down to $10K-$12K each.

The "video game" module (fire control unit) costs about half of the complete weapon at $5K apiece so what happens when it goes kerplunk in the field? Do you think Army brass are going to encourage soldiers to drop it in the field and keep fighting? It's not like dropping a 30 round mag which can always be easily replenished.

Another thing, the bottom half is basically a variant of the G36. The selector switch and the flash suppressor are dead giveaways. I hope they can work out the bugs because it is a neat concept but still too bulky IMHO.
View Quote

Well...that about says it all.  Sounds even more like a turkey.  It goes away.

I'll take my old M203.  At least I know it isn't going to blow up in my face!

[grenade]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, lets get a LEGP OICW!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I have seen that thing,to dang big!

You would need to get a tri pod[:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
No its quite true.  He had his finger over the range finder and zero was sent to the grenade.  Upon firing the grenade went off.  It didn't even exit the muzzle.  As a result a software change was made to define "minimum range" below which the grenade cannot be set to.

Yup; its normal teething problems caused by people who "didn't think" someone would do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#24]
First prototype of the OICW:
[img]http://www.hkpro.com/oicwconcept1.jpg[/img]
[:D]And you thought I was joking![:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
It might be an impressive weapon in the final version, if they get the size and weight of the thing down by alot. I thought the trend was for more compact and handelable rifles, like the M-4, Tavor, and FN2000.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#26]
hmm whats the giant flushing sound

oh thats just our tax money going agien
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top