Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 7:18:23 AM EDT
[url]http://www.modbee.com/local/story/1421960p-1498562c.html[/url]

By DARYL FARNSWORTH
BEE STAFF WRITER

An unidentified man and a robber had a shootout Saturday at a Highway 99 gas station north of Manteca, San Joaquin County sheriff's deputies reported.

The robber fled on a motorcycle, and the man left in a tan or gold Ford van without talking to deputies, officials said. Neither was wounded, deputies said.

Deputies said they consider the man a good Samaritan who got in over his head. While deputies would like to talk to him, they're not considering charges.

The shooting occurred about 10:39 a.m. outside the Exxon station at 14800 S. Highway 99.

Deputy Nelida Stone said deputies don't know why the man had a loaded gun or why he got involved. The suspected robber was caught a short time later in Lathrop.

Deputies spotted him riding the motorcycle west on Lathrop Road. They chased him at high speeds to Lathrop, where he abandoned the motorcycle in a neighborhood and ran.

He jumped fences and ran through yards before an off-duty Alameda County deputy, who lives in the neighborhood, confronted him, Stone said.

After a brief struggle with the off-duty deputy, the man, identified as David Basil Allen, 41, of Stockton, was arrested, she said.

Stone said deputies recovered a .22-caliber handgun near the motorcycle. The gun had been fired twice, she said.

The motorcycle had been hit by two bullets -- one in the windshield and the other near the front. The motorcycle was reported stolen Dec. 14 in Stockton.

Deputies said $600 found in Allen's pocket had been taken in the robbery. In addition to robbery, Allen has been charged with attempted murder in connection with shots fired at the Samaritan and other bystanders.

Allen also was wanted on two counts of attempted murder that occurred Thursday, Stone said.

Allen is accused of stabbing a woman in the abdomen and her husband in the face.

Details of the attempted murders were not available Saturday. However, Stone said, the woman is in stable condition at a hospital and her husband was treated and released.

The sheriff's department asks anyone with information about the unknown man to call 468-4400.

Bee staff writer Daryl Farnsworth can be reached at 578-2337 or [email protected].
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
And if the guy's smart, he will not come forward and identify himself. If he does, he is sure to be arrested.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Actions for the Good Samaritan:

(1)  Do NOT turn yourself in...not THERE!  Hell, here they'd pin a medal on your chest and put your picture in the paper.  In La La Land, you're likely to be brought up on charges by the crusading (Iwanttogetelectednexttime!) anti-gun DA.  (I know...I read what the cops said...and they NEVER tell an untruth, do they...WELL THEY DON'T DO THEY?) [;D]

(2)  Go to the range.  You need some combat practice so next time you can save the good people of La La Land some of their hard earned tax money by seeing to it that perp gets buried, not tried. [kill]

In truth, the guy done good.  I'd like to shake his hand.

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.modbee.com/local/story/1421960p-1498562c.html[/url]

By DARYL FARNSWORTH
BEE STAFF WRITER

Deputies said they consider the man a good Samaritan who got in over his head. While deputies would like to talk to him, they're not considering charges.
View Quote

Please note the "Good Samaritan" is already a "man over his head."

I love the line ..."They're not considering charges."  
YET !!

Stay hidden, keep your mouth shut.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You got that right, 5subslr5.

The only killing tolerated is by the JBTs, and they don't take kindly to me "civilian" encroaching on their turf.

These goons are just waiting to put the butt plug on Mr. Samaritan.  Run, Johnny! RUN!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
So, the Legend of Billy Jack lives on...

Might be time for that barrel replacement you were holding off on partner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Might be time for that barrel replacement you were holding off on partner.
View Quote

And get on with that 7 year acid dip you'd been planning for the old barrel.  (Best placed under the home of your worst enemy.)

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I think he ran because he knows what the REAL owner of the bike will do when he finds the bullet holes in his ride! Just one question,  how do they know Wyatt Earp wasn't wounded if they can't find him?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
We really need a LEO for proper analysis but here's a couple to help the "Samaritan" consider remaining in hiding.

1)  Reckless endangerment - charges probably brought by the robber and the other innocent by-standers.
2)  Violations of who knows how many local and state gun laws.
3)  Civil suit by the owner of the stolen bike for vehicular destruction.
4)  Discharging a firearm inside/outside the city limits.
5)  Public nuisance.
6)  Unless all bullets are accounted for I believe the Fed's could get him for enviornmental pollution.  Could nail him for "temporary" pollution anyway.
7)  Reckless endangerment II - forcing the robber/attempted murder suspect to flee at high speed, jump fences, etc.
8)  Civil actions by all fence-owners whose fences may have been damaged.

I know, I know the list is not nearly complete against this scum-bag Samaritan !

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't forget this:  
From Article:
Deputy Nelida Stone said deputies don't know why the man had a loaded gun . . .
View Quote

!!
View Quote

Well, as a wise man once said,

"It ain't much good as a throwing weapon, now is it???"

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I would never turn myself in in the "land of fruits and nuts"!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The man had better just lie low. We all know what happened to Bernard Goetz (the Subway Vigilante: who shot a bunch of teenage muggers).

For those who aren't aware of who he is: here are some links
[url]http://www.heroism.org/class/1980/goetz.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.courttv.com/casefiles/verdicts/goetz.html[/url]

[url]http://www.baye.net/entries/05-24-01.html[/url]

Why Dan Wesson Revolvers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. (1.) like all revolvers they leave no messy shell casings lying around on the ground. This is very useful especially if you are in a hurry to get away. (2.) They are double action, you can also cock them and fire them in Single Action mode for a lighter trigger pull and better chance at hitting your target. (3.) Unlike all other revolvers, they are completely modular, you can easily and quickly change barrels to suite your needs. (Just like you can with a Semi Automatic Pistol). Very useful.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Remember the Rule of the Three "S"'s: Shoot, Shovel, Silence...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Goetz got himself in trouble for violating a  slew of state laws relating to firearms and continuing to shoot long after the muggers stopped posing a threat which might justify the use of DPF. Telling one guy something along the lines of "here, you don't look too bad; have another"  as he shot him didn't help any claim he might have had that he was shooting in self defense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Goetz got himself in trouble for violating a  slew of state laws relating to firearms and continuing to shoot long after the muggers stopped posing a threat which might justify the use of DPF. Telling one guy something along the lines of "here, you don't look too bad; have another"  as he shot him didn't help any claim he might have had that he was shooting in self defense.
View Quote

Well it would have...had it been true.  But it never happened outside Goetz's troubled psyche.  Eyewitnesses at the trial said that Goetz never said ANYTHING and that the whole shooting took a couple of seconds.  Goetz was a drugged-out, mentally troubled young man and that was his biggest problem.  He imagined more about the shooting than actually happened, and he told the police his imaginings.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
"Go Goetz him."

-------
He knew too much; he had to "disappear."
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a coworker surprise a stickup punk at a local "Stop n' Rob" and beat him senseless with a motorcycle helmet.

After he was done, the clerk asked him how long he should wait after my bud left before he should call the cops.

Now that is a good place to shop!

I would highly advise Mr. Unidentified Man to take some of the above advice and not step forward to claim any "good citizenship awards" anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a coworker surprise a stickup punk at a local "Stop n' Rob" and beat him senseless with a motorcycle helmet.

After he was done, the clerk asked my bud how long he should wait before he called the cops.

Now that is a good place to shop!

I would highly advise Mr. Unidentified Man to take some of the above advice and not step forward to claim any "good citizenship awards" anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Learn from the master, Paul Kersey aka Richard Kimble aka Charles Bronson aka "The Vigilante" would NEVER turn himself in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Here in Florida it is legal to have a gun in my car. I drive around with one on the seat beside me. Well, I have been asked why by several people. Well, a few weeks ago I went through the drive thru at the McDonalds in Margate. Well, about a week later a woman was abducted/carjacked in broad daylight at that drive in. So, why do I carry. Well, because I'm not stupid. And, If I ever had to shoot somebody in Occupied South Florida, I would also probably be charged with murder even if the guy was a POS, lowlife and had a gun to me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here in Florida it is legal to have a gun in my car. I drive around with one on the seat beside me. Well, I have been asked why by several people. Well, a few weeks ago I went through the drive thru at the McDonalds in Margate. Well, about a week later a woman was abducted/carjacked in broad daylight at that drive in. So, why do I carry. Well, because I'm not stupid. And, If I ever had to shoot somebody in Occupied South Florida, I would also probably be charged with murder even if the guy was a POS, lowlife and had a gun to me.
View Quote

Better to be judged by twelve than buried by six.

[thinking]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top