Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 6:46:06 PM EDT
I am looking to go through a FFL transfer dealer.  Besides the usual $25 transfer fee, do I need to pay sales tax on the firearm itself?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went through this collecting tax BS. If you place an order for a gun through an FFL, then you do have to pay tax on the gun. BUT....if you already made the purchase(it's already paid for) and your using the FFL ONLY for the transfer, then you DO NOT PAY TAX on the gun, you might have to pay tax on the transfer fee though.

I just got my money back from an as*hole dealer who tried this BS on me with my LEGP. The dealer finally saw the light when I told him I was notifying the Dept. of Taxation AND the Attorney Generals Office.

Ask BEFORE you do the transfer, if the FFL collects tax on a gun already paid for. If he says yes, take your business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
NY is one of the more picky states in regards to sales tax.  

When we ship a firearm to another FFL for transfer to our customer, we put in a copy of the invoice from us to the buyer showing we made the sale & not the transfer FFL.

Before you select a FFL do do a tranfer of a gun you bought from out of state, make sure the tax subject is clearly understood.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top