Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 4:59:13 PM EDT
Anyone know what the standard ports are that Internet Explorer uses for net access?   Is it the same as the Outlook Express?

For whatever reason IE just completely stopped working for me, I had to install Nutscrape so that i could get on the net.   I went to the microsoft site to get the IE 6.0 update, after installing that IE is still busted.

It stands to reason that IE would use the same ports from machine to machine so if somebody could tell me what their IE is using I'd appreciate it.

I'm guessing that it's a port problem because everything else I use that accesses the net is still working, MIRC, computer games, even Outlook Express as well as Nutscrape.

Need to know how to fix this problem, from checking the ports to opening the ports if they are closed.

Oh, and the operating system is Windoze ME.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be Port 80
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
For free technical support, contact:

[email protected]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The port is a COM 3.
To fix, go (start) (settings)(control panel)  double click modems icon, click on the (Diagnostics tab) let it run and see if it comes up with any problems.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If Netscrape works, I doubt it is a port problem. It could be a corrupt dll or bad registry setting.  Check your internet settings from control panel to see if anything looks strange.  Look at the connections tab to see if you have some weird proxy setting or something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it sorta fixed itself.    I tried upgrading to IE 6.0 to see if the problem would right itself when upgrading with newer drivers and executable.    That didn't work so frustrated I tried running the IE diagnostic, didn't know 6.0 had one till I got in and played with it, that didn't do anything either.   Pissed I uninstalled 6.0 to revert back to the 5.5, upon restart and after the machine updated it's registry the darned thing worked!    Was bizarre, only thing I can think of is it might be part of that ME registry/restore feature.

Ohwell, the way this all started was I downloaded Audiogalaxy to update to the newest required version.   Well as part of the install the stupid program had some stupid worthless Gem called "Gator" which I really didn't want installed, upon uninstalling the pile of crap gator program it kicked IE into gear sending me to a webpage survey so they could ask why I was uninstalling their program.  I'm thinking that while the uninstall program was simultaneously working having IE booting up at the same time was bad juju, immediately after killing the gator program I noticed IE caved in on itself.

But man, a weight has been lifted now that I don't have to rely on nutscrape to surf the net.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
A cool program to find all of the crap installed by shareware and freeware plug ins for IE stop those annoying adds.  Ad-aware v5.62 Ad-aware is a free multi spyware removal utility, that scans your memory, registry and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them safely.

on the note if you were having problems with browsing but could access other web functions such as gaming email etc... you may have a firewall installed if so R&R the software this seems to be a common problem with zone alarm when you upgrade to IE 6.0
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
And you drug up a two month old post for what reason............??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top