Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 12:56:41 AM EDT
I've been here a few months and don't know of anywhere to shoot? I'm sort of in the Madison area, actually, I'm in the village of Oregon, real close to Fitchburg. I'd just like to know if there are any places to shoot? Besides the backyard? I don't know the laws, but my backyard extends into a forrest area. Don't know if I can shoot there? I've seen some hunters shooting peasents from the highway before. And even heard gunshots from Goodland park before (close to homes) But again, I've only been here awhile and don't know of any shooting laws. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what your shooting, but since deer hunting is over I believe that you can shoot a rifle in the areas designated "shotgun only" for deer hunting.  I also believe that you can't shoot within 200 ft. of someone elses house w/o permission to do so. maybe the DNR has some of the laws on their website, I am not sure about any of this though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, just pistol shooting. The only people that live 200ft of me is an old lady that lives in a house right next to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
you could always e-mail the DNR and ask them, I did about a month ago and they responded within a few hours
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Stougton Conservation Club
Deerfield Rod and Gun Club
There's also a indoor range downtown Deerfield near the uniform shop.
Middleton has a range on Airport Rd.

Farmland is ok to shoot as long as you have the permission of the landowner and you have a back stop of some type.

I would advise against shooting in the Village. They may have an ordinance prohibitng that, and you will be cited if they catch you. Check with the Village.

Stay out of Goodland Park, It is near DNR land and there are areas that you can hunt in (the DNR land), but I don't think they really want target shooting going on. Goodland Park proper is not a hunting area.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]
the Deer Field R&G is not to bad ..the place is sorta run down but it was the only range that allowed me to fire a rifle ...pistol range isnt to bad either
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen some hunters shooting peasents from the highway before.
View Quote
This is why we must protect the Right to Keep and Bear Arms from the knives of Screwmer, Fineswine, Brady, et.al.  The peasents' survival depends on their means to resist!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I do believe that Lodi has a 1000-yard range, I heard about it a few months back but haven't taken the time to contact the range or go look for it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I notice that you still have "CA" as your location.  Whether you come from California or Canada, WELCOME!  On the bright side, a single-shot from 1899 is the same thing as a preban AR-15 here in terms of legality.  Enjoy!  On the bad side, no ccw yet.  But, we're working on it- check out [url]http://www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/[/url] for more information.

If you're interested in learning about gun shows, take a look at [url]http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com/gunshow.htm[/url] for a gun show calendar for the state of Wisconsin.

Ranges...  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Madison too much.  However, you can find two good ranges with an hour's drive.  

1.  Ed's Guns and Range.  7631 Lima Center Road, Whitewater, WI.  53190.  Ed is a stand-up guy.  His shop is a little more on the expensive line, but many of his items are odder.  Be warned that he's into hunting and not as much into military.  In addition, Ed is retired.  He shuts down the shop (his home as well) if he needs to go shopping or wants to fish.  Call first at 262-473-4678.  The range is smaller, but nearly anything goes.  No "odd" ammo (AP, I, T, or .50BMG because the berm is made of dirt).  But, bump all day long!  Pistol, rifle, shotgun ok.

2.  McMiller Shooting Range.  It's run by the WI Department of Natural Resources.  No 'rapid-fire' and if you've got anything naughty looking (AR-15) they keep CLOSE tabs on you.  If you look to be in your twenties be prepared to be hassled.  I don't know the address; call the DNR for more info.  Pistol and rifle okay; shotgun trap range was closed (from what I understand) due to neighbor complaints before the range protection bill was passed.

If you want Milwaukee area ranges, give a holler and I'll be GLAD to assist.

Welcome again!

Mike
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Prebans:

I get over to Milwaukee a couple times a month.

If you know of any Rifle or Pistol Ranges around Milwaukee, I'd sure appreciate it if you could post the names addresses & phone numbers here.

Thanks,  Bowser...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out this website:

[url]www.wheretoshoot.org[/url]

I have found it quite useful...

[edited to fix address]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top