Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 11:01:48 PM EDT
I may be way behind the news curve on this so sorry if this is old news to most. I heard that the military is no longer letting PASGT Helmets & Frag vests out to the surplus market but is shredding them instead. Is this only news to me or has anyone else heard this. In addition, I keep hearing an unsubstantiated rumor that there is a move afoot in Washington D.C. to prohibit private ownership of body armor. Can this possibly be true? Most likely I am getting some distorted version of the truth but thought I'd see if you guys know anything about it. How could the feds prohibit private ownership of body armor...that simply can't be true. If you have some info I'd appreciate the update!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Makes no sense, as you can buy kevlar cloth at several places, and if you have the patience (and don't mind all of the scissors-sharpening) could easily sew up a vest with custom additions (like leg, arm, and neck cover).

As far as the PASGT, buy a WWII Fritz helmet, and line with same kevlar cloth, intermixed with carbon fiber.

AHHH, American ingenuity meets demorat politics...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
DRMO is required to "Demil" helmets before release at auction.

Demil consists simply of removing the support system (the nylon straps). The reason K-pots aren't making it out to the surplus market is because LE gets first crack at stuff that is surplus, and Kevlar helmets go fast.

As far as body armor and the law, the feds had a deal about committing a crime and wearing armor, but I don't remember if it passed or not, and even then it would only apply to federal crimes.

Some states have limited prohibitions against body armor. In Texas, at least, it is now illegal for a felon to possess body armor. Out east, there is a real problem with career criminals who wear this stuff. They are as religous about wearing their vests as most cops. All of the laws I have heard about are pretty strictly targeted against these folks, as far as I have heard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top