Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Taken out of context ?  Well maybe.
But write the words quoted ? You did.

[smoke]
View Quote

I guess you are right on that.

Taken so out of context that I didn't recognize it . . .
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most American Soldiers (Men) worked behind the lines in WWII. I guess they sucked in combat too?
View Quote

Most of everyone's soldiers worked behind the lines. Just because you work behind the lines doesn't mean you would suck in combat. However, in general, women [i]do[/i] suck at combat. That makes them fit for little [i]but[/i] behind the lines support roles--and they even suck at a lot of those. (I can imagine a few clever out of context quotes).

Consider, for example, the US Army medical unit that couldn't deply to the Gulf during the war--because there were too many women in the unit. Can't break down the equipment, load the trucks, unload the trucks, set up the equipment. Just one example.

Quoted:
As to the vague number [blue]“The very few who flew planes”[/Blue] could you give me an oddball number?  I can deal with numbers, if I give a number to prove you wrong you can turn that “very few” into a few hundred thousand.  I like WWII and have read much on the subject for many years.  You are the first person I know who has minimized the role of Soviet Women in WWII to a mere propaganda role.  Some kind of reference for this would be nice.
View Quote

I don't doubt that Soviet women played a significant role in factories and other non-combat activities. I do not believe that they played a significant combat role.

I have no interest in looking up numbers, and in any case I can not logically prove a negative. You are arguing the positive, you are the one who needs the numbers.

In any case, I think the Soviet decision to drop women from the military speaks for itself.

Quoted:
Partisans may be civilians but they still filled a valuable combat role in WWII.  
View Quote

They caused some damage, and tied down some German units. They were really overrated, but in any case the dynamics of partisan activity are different, and due to this there are less objections to women in this type of force. For example, partisans can't be as choosy about the make up of their fighting forces. And, due to the nature of organization, issues about social interaction are basically moot. And partisans are less likely to be called upon to change a heavy truck tire, pack 155 mm shells, or change a tank track.

Quoted:
They were also in the Soviet Army.  
View Quote

Where they recruited, equiped, and paid by the Red Army?

Quoted:
As opposed to men who glorify and bravely expose themselves to fire?
View Quote

Well, yes. Women who choose safety over duty let their fellow soldiers down.

Quoted:
Are there no men who balk at exposing themselves to combat whatsoever?
View Quote

No, but men are more risk taking in general, and are also more prone to peer presure to take risks.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What was the percentage of soldiers who even aimed their rifles in WWII?  Some never even fired their rifles in anger.
View Quote

These statistics are dubious. Marshall collected these stats by interviewing GIs, but many GIs claim his numbers are bogus, and modern research has shown that his methods were flawed.

One detail of Marshall's data: he claimed that most riflemen didn't fire in a given engagment. With one exception: the machine gunner. Also, different men fired in different engagments. He seems to view that as some sort of failure, but I interpret it as: [b]riflemen fire when they have a target (often not the case) and machine gunners fire to suppress (hence they always fire). [/b]

In any case, women would do worse, regardless of the value of Marshall's stats.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taken out of context ?  Well maybe.
But write the words quoted ? You did.

[smoke]
View Quote

I guess you are right on that.

Taken so out of context that I didn't recognize it . . .
View Quote

I'm going to be a reporter when I grow up !

[smoke]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top