Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/6/2002 10:50:18 AM EDT
1st Amendment/free speech? I don't think so! [url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000001083jan05.story[/url] [i]"A national Roman Catholic group is protesting an exhibit at Copia, the Napa Valley's heralded new food, wine and arts museum, that includes figurines of the pope and several nuns defecating."[/i] In their defense: [i]""These figurines symbolize the cycle of eating and fertilization of the earth, which is a requisite for future existence," wrote Copia Executive Director Peggy Loar."[/i] [b]Anyone going to argue that our Gov't/society/culture is specifically denigrating Christians in general and Catholics in particular?[/b] [pissed]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:54:05 PM EDT
How about we ask them to sponsor an exhibit that shows MLK Jr. plagiarisizing his doctoral thesis, or Algore inventing the internet, or Clinton whipping out his wang for Paula Jones and see what they think of government funding of "free speech" then. I doubt that would ever happen though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:04:28 PM EDT
1st Amendment/free speech? I don't think so!
View Quote
How about we ask them to sponsor an exhibit that shows MLK Jr. plagiarisizing his doctoral thesis, or Algore inventing the internet, or Clinton whipping out his wang for Paula Jones and see what they think of government funding of "free speech" then. I doubt that would ever happen though.
View Quote
But, but... Just this afternoon I was called "narrowminded" and an "asshole" by two members because I was critical of government support of abortion and suppression of religious expression in public schools. It was most interesting to note they skipped over my other critical remarks about radical environmental policies, and anti-firearms actions. So the exact same mindset is right here with us. [IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:04:42 PM EDT
Doesn't matter who it does or doesn't offend, the government should not be sponsoring artists with taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:18:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RikWriter: Doesn't matter who it does or doesn't offend, the government should not be sponsoring artists with taxpayer money.
View Quote
Exactly!!!! Those artists who are able to sell their stuff makes more than the average Joe who slaves all day to put food on the table for his family. For those who could not, then it is best that they find another profession/trade that they can do to support themselves rather than depend on taxpayer's money.
Top Top