Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 5:40:36 AM EDT
It's starting already......according to MSNBC...

How could this happen?

He took off without "authorization"?

What can be done to prevent this in the future?

Stricter rules on flying?

Banning small planes from metro areas?

That's the libs answer to EVERYTHING...BAN BAN BAN BAN..........

I'm REALLY getting sick of this s@!t.

Well, maybe the AOPA will get a taste of what the NRA has been up against.

Rant mode off....

Jim
ATP
B727, 757/767
DO-228

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I was watching MSNBC last night before it bored me into a coma. They scary thing was some ass on a phone interview who actually stated....

"The time has come in our society where all activity needs to be regulated. Parents have failed to corral their children on a mass scale and we are seeing the results."

So what does THAT mean?

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"The time has come in our society where all activity needs to be regulated. Parents have failed to corral their children on a mass scale and we are seeing the results."

So what does THAT mean?
View Quote

It means that for some people, the simple, obvious solution to all the world's problems is a totalitarian government.  It all sounds good in theory.  Sure, the trains all run on time if you don't worry about running down people who try to throw off the schedule.  Also, you don't have to worry about taking extra time to load and unload passengers in wheelchairs after they're all euthanized for the "good of society".  Crime is nearly nonexistent when you give the government a monopoly on it and herd any competition into concentration camps without time consuming and inconvenient trials.  No one would dare speak out against our glorious leaders if the penalty is death and they lack any means of defending themselves.  This is a utopian ideal for some people.  They really believe it will solve all the world's problems.  Same thing as HCI saying gun control will stop gun violence, even though our northern brothers are a recent example of how it does exactly the opposite.  It's quite simple - what we have doesn't work well in practice, so everything else sounds good in theory.  Of course, the theory never mentions asking people to kneel before a ditch.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've stated on other posts that I'm an aviation major, so I'll give me 2 cents...

I dont think that anything in the aviation industry (that I know of) violates the rights of any general aviation pilot.

Yes, there are a shitload of laws in place, but those laws are absolutely necessary to avoid diasters. The laws are changed and added to so much that pilots need to get a new copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations every year. But regardless, I don't think that the FAA will go far enough to make this a problem for general aviation pilots.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was watching MSNBC last night before it bored me into a coma. They scary thing was some ass on a phone interview who actually stated....

So what does THAT mean?

View Quote

It means that if you don't already have kids, you'd better hurry! I smell a democratic initiated ban on all new kids in the works!  When this law goes into effect, all children born after their enactment date will be considered "post-ban" manufacture.  I already have 3, so they'll be considered "pre-ban" children. (I wonder what they'll be worth in a couple of years...)   [thinking]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've stated on other posts that I'm an aviation major, so I'll give me 2 cents...

I dont think that anything in the aviation industry (that I know of) violates the rights of any general aviation pilot.

Yes, there are a shitload of laws in place, but those laws are absolutely necessary to avoid diasters. The laws are changed and added to so much that pilots need to get a new copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations every year. But regardless, I don't think that the FAA will go far enough to make this a problem for general aviation pilots.  
View Quote

Well, I tend to disagree a bit.....
I'm a 15,000hr 757 Captain for an "unnamed airline" and have seen a disturbing trend since 9/11.  

Where do want to start?????  I PERSONALLY know flight attendants who have been "felt up" going through security.  When she complained, the little $4.50/hr terd claimed he smelled booze on her breath.  So off she goes for a blow test.  She blows a .00 (big surprise) but the flight is delayed and she is replaced because she runs out of duty time in the process.  247 people were inconvenienced because of this.

I don't fly on my days off, nor do I own a small aircraft, but I know people who do.  Recently the local uncontrolled field was closed because of its proximity to a nuke plant.

All the media has to do is get wind of the tremendous freedom the typical private pilot has in this country.....they are starting to "educate" themselves now.....  Flying will be painted as the sport of the "rich and uncaring elite" and will be delt with accordingly.  Mark my words.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a private pilot, over 20 years, own my own plane now for 16...and the FAA and the flying Nazi's are not our friends.  Think of any JBT's involved with guns...and they have partners in the FAA.

Remember Bob Hoover, WWII ace, worked with Chuck Yeager and airshow performer extraordinar...two skank inspectors at the FAA claimed he was a lousy pilot, perjored themselves and Bob's medical was pulled.  He flew in Australia with a co-pilot until the court cases finally showed the inspectors were scum and were jealous.  Hinson, the FAA Administrator, would lie and evade when at the EAA convention.  These inspectors can come up and do a ramp check for no reason, pull your physical for almost any whim and "bang" you don't have a job anymore.

The FAA is in bed with the airlines, the GA (general aviation) pilots are screwed.  The airlines want everyone to pay for any use of the system (we don't use it, need the fancy radar, the big airports don't want us near them) and the big guys would prefer we don't sully "their" skies with our little airplanes.  Kinda like the big gun dealers make nasty comments about kitchen table dealers to newspapers.

The FAA is bad news and is no friend of GA or pilots.  If the ATF thugs want to find another agency, the JBT's are alive and well and working at the FAA.   If someone likes the FAA and says their great guys, he's an airline employee or wanna be.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remembered, if you want a nice slice of life of the FAA and it's little buckaroos, read "Unintended Consequences", they talk of Bob Hoover and the fun inspectors.

If you haven't read the book....read it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Parents have failed to corral their children on a mass scale and we are seeing the results."
View Quote
This part IS true.  We don't need to ban anything though, parents just need to start disciplining their children more and need to be able to do so without worrying about the gubmint claiming child abuse.  This same failure of parents to control their children is one of the main reasons behind school shootings as well.  Guns were more readily available when I was growing up, even could take them to school to go hunting after school, etc and no one shot up the schools back then because they were worried about what daddy would do and they knew back then that they would not be coddled by the law.

It should go back to "child control" or "criminal control", not more control on anything else like guns or airplanes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Homebuilt aircraft builder and pilot (only 160 hours, I'm 16), havn't had any problems yet, but don't enjoy the idea of my long-ez becoming an "homebuilt assault plane".

Hopfully AOPA and EAA will do their jobs and stop such legislation!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Couple of points:

Don't assume ALL airline folks are againt GA.  I am and I am NOT!!  

Don't assume ALL FAA types are terds either.  I've met inspectors (both flight and maintenance) that are really good folks.  And believe it or not......really WANT to help.

The problem lies with the media and the cowards we elect to office.  Now that the danger has died down a bit, (and our guys and guns have kicked ass) the power hungry are sticking their heads out from behind cover to see what they can snatch up.  All you have to do is know a little about a given subject to realize how F.O.S. these people are.

Rant mode off again.

I got my start in GA....I haven't forgot my roots!

Jim

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top