Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/5/2002 10:30:03 AM EDT
I have been told that it is permissible to shoot in the Pawnee National Grasslands (east of Ft. Collins). Can anyone verify this and provide any other info? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:37:12 AM EDT
I would like to know this to. I am about 35 minutes North of you in Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:14:42 PM EDT
Up
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:28:34 PM EDT
Yes you can shoot there. I do all the time. Before I went there the first time I called and got the lowdown of where you can shoot. Basically it's up to your good judgement but there are many places where it is obviouse that people shoot. Of course no shooting across roads and don't shoot any cows that roam around out there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:29:33 PM EDT
I'll post the info they sent me in the mail for you later when I get home. I'm at work right now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:07:14 PM EDT
Would you email me the info too please?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:16:51 PM EDT
I have shot out there for about 10 years. There is that old gravel pit out that way as well that is great to shoot at. Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:11:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By schapman43: I would like to know this to. I am about 35 minutes North of you in Cheyenne.
View Quote
I grew up in Cheyenne, just curious if I know you. What year did you graduate. are you originally from Cheyenne?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:44:36 PM EDT
There are actually 2 parts to the grasslands...I shoot at the more western part. Basically you head east on Co 14 to WCR 65. head north untill you turn back west and continue north again. when it appears you have to go west again, go straight on a two rut forrest service road until it intersects with the next east west road...I turn right and you will see a number of places to the south of the road that are shooting areas. Still at work, but I'll get that info to you guys probably on Tuesday. I work 3 days straight and then have 4 off. Leaves lots of time for shooting!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:09:34 AM EDT
I contacted the National Forest Service office in Greeley, and here is their response: There is an area that is popular for target shooting on the Grassland. It is not a developed nor supervised area. General shooting rules apply and a copy of the Forest Service's rules is attached. The area is located northeast of Ault. Colorado Hwy 14 east, thru Ault to Weld County Road 57. North 3 miles on WCR 57 to WCR 96. East on WCR 96 3/4 mile to Forest Road 59. This road will dead-end at the shooting area, approximately 1/2 mile. This road is fairly rough and higher clearance vehicles are recommended. Please don't shoot at anything above the ground (fences, trees, electric poles, etc) and please pack out all that you take in, including targets and spent shells.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:12:25 AM EDT
And here are the Forest Service rules: Target Shooting On National Forest Lands General Rules: While specific area regulations may vary from forest to forest, the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36) states that discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property is prohibited in all National Forests: · In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or · Across or on a Forest Development Road or body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. In other words, shooters must be at least 150 yards away from campgrounds, trails, trailheads, or any area already being used by other recreationists. This gives shooters a safety margin and prevents conflicts with other forest users. Some areas within the National Forest boundary are closed to all target shooting. Contact a local Forest Service office to find out where these areas are and how they are posted. Be considerate: · Shoot not only beyond the minimum required distance, but in an area with a safe background. Scout the area for other people or animals, that may be in your shooting range. Select a safe backstop free from rocks or objects that could cause a bullet to deflect. It is the shooter’s responsibility to know where their bullet impacts and not expose others or property to danger. · Shoot targets that do not destroy or damage trees or wildlife. Bring in your own target, shoot against a bale of straw or earthen bank, do not shoot at trees or place targets onto tress. Shooting animals without a hunting license is illegal. · Use targets that are easy on the land. Do not use glass containers as targets. · Pack out what you bring into the forest. Whether honing your accuracy before hunting season or shooting for recreation, target shooting on public lands can be fun, safe, and ethical. Gun Safety Tips Experts offer these safety tips for storing guns at home: v Ammunition and firearms should be kept under lock and in separate locations when not in use. v Always keep ammunition and firearms out of the reach of children. v Modify children’s inquisitive and playful nature by teaching respect for guns and restraint. Tell children that if they see a gun, don’t touch it, leave the area, and tell an adult. v Firearms that are loaded should not be stored or transported in an automobile. Keep the weapon and ammunition in separate compartments. v Use a bicycle type cable lock to stop the cylinder from closing in a revolver or wind it through the barrel to prevent it from discharging. v Trigger locks available at most sporting goods or hardware stores can be used to prevent someone from pulling the trigger. Hunter Safety Course Anyone born on or after January 1, 1949, must have a hunter education course card or certificate before applying for or purchasing any hunting or trapping license. Contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife for a schedule of hunter safety classes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:23:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marvl: And here are the Forest Service rules: Whether honing your accuracy before hunting season or shooting for recreation, target shooting on public lands can be fun, safe, and ethical. Gun Safety Tips Experts offer these safety tips for storing guns at home: v Modify children’s inquisitive and playful nature by teaching respect for guns and restraint. Tell children that if they see a gun, don’t touch it, leave the area, and tell an adult.
View Quote
These two parts are in a U.S. Gov't handout? That's.......un-f'ing-believeable. What's the world coming too? I guess some hoplophobic bureaucrat just hasn't read this brochure yet. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:47:23 PM EDT
I've actually found the forest service people I've come into contact with to be good guys that think like we do. Thanks for posting that Marvl. I've never gone to the spot that they are talking about, but will check it out.
Top Top