Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 7:30:53 AM EDT
Today is a very good day for the Republicans.  It looks like GW Bush and his advisors have overcome the problem the Republican party had for 8 years under Clinton, in that when they try to go after something the Democrats are or aren't doing they always end up in personal attacks against the Democrats and lose.

The other day the Democrats unvieled their economic stimulus package, which includes huge tax cuts for corporations.  Something they called irresponsible in Bushs proposal.

After letting the Dems show their hand, GW launched his offensive today.  Instead of naming Dems and calling the cold bad people, like the Republicans used to do, he just referred to the Senate leaders.  He then went on to say that Oct 4th and so many lost jobs ago, he proposed his package which the house promptly passed.  He said the Democrats didn't even want to schedual a vote and they must expect the economy to recover soon or later.

The nail in the coffin is that he then talked about families who know of and people who are unemployed and said they would prefer action sooner than later.  Today he is having a town hall meeting in a hispanic community where unemployment is very high, not only is he appealing to them about this issue, but since he shows he cares about the people, it's going to help in the 2002 elections.  Then later today he has another stop planned in a community where unemployment is at 7%.

It looks like GW learned from Clinton how to connect with the American people.  The Dems are going to get stomped on.  Let me remind you that if pro-gun people sweep the 2002 election, which is very likely.  Then no one will want to touch the AW ban right before the 2004 election.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I sho' hope you're right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Swire, I think you may be just slightly overoptimistic (although I hope you are right).  Tradtionally the Dems have stomped the Repubbies when it comes to media utilization.  I do not expect that to change in the 2002 elections.

Your post only points to one specific incident.  The Dems will highlight [b]many[/b] durint their 2002 smear campaign.

I really believe that one of the reasons the Repubbies don't throw shi! and lies around like the Dems is because they actually have some measure of conscience.  The Dems have none and don't give a second thought about spewing anything over the airwaves.

Just like with George Bush Sr., the Dems will hammer GW on the economy and blame the recession on him.  Doesn't matter that GW didn't cause it - the sheeple will believe it once its repeated enough.

Again, I hope you're right...

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree CMOS,
The biggest factor in the 02 elections will be the Sheeple.
I just hope GW and his team are up to the challenge. I will say that in this neck of the woods alot of the Sheeple I work with have had their eyes opened since Sept 11.

I hope the Sheeple can be swayed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I just on one of L.A.'s all news radio stations KFWB, that the Congression Budget Office his plan won't affect the economy until a year later in 2003. Stay tune, lets see what happens next.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the problem in summary:  The Dems tell believeable lies while the Repubbies tell the truth that the sheeple are too ignorant to believe.

[b]That[/b] is the primary reason why conservatism will not survive.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your post only points to one specific incident.  The Dems will highlight [b]many[/b] durint their 2002 smear campaign.
CMOS
View Quote

Yes it does, but it's one incident that has not happend under the 8 years of Clinton.  Hopefully this is the start of a new strategy for the Republicans.  I'm also willing to bet that Bush will have 1 or 2 people on the Sunday morning news shows tomorrow pushing his plan.

The media is still biased towards the dems.  But Bush has upper hand in that he has 80%+ approval rating, the majority of the people blame Sept 11 for the recession, almost all of his plans have been submitted to Congress if not passed in at least one of the house giving him plenty of "failures" to blame the dems on, and he can set the agenda for the entire country.  If Bush continues in the manner he did today he will walk all over the democrats.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If Conservatisim does not survive then this nation will not remain intact as we know it, for long. If the liberals had their way they would give everything away.

7th
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Fox news have been giving Bush excellent coverage today.  CNN was even giving him decent coverage and seemed to be showing statements by Daschale in a negative way.  NBC was also giving Bush really good coverage.  I sure hope it continues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top