BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 2:12:22 PM EDT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1566000/1566715.stm

Thursday, 27 September, 2001, 13:19 GMT 14:19 UK
Switzerland and the gun

Switzerland has long maintained its armed neutrality

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.
The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.

This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national defence, developed over the centuries.

Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.

Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home.

Once discharged, men serve in the Swiss equivalent of the US National Guard, but still have to train occasionally and are given bolt rifles. Women do not have to own firearms, but are encouraged to.

Few restrictions

In addition to the government-provided arms, there are few restrictions on buying weapons. Some cantons restrict the carrying of firearms - others do not.

The government even sells off surplus weaponry to the general public when new equipment is introduced.

Guns and shooting are popular national pastimes. More than 200,000 Swiss attend national annual marksmanship competitions.

But despite the wide ownership and availability of guns, violent crime is extremely rare. There are only minimal controls at public buildings and politicians rarely have police protection.

Mark Eisenecker, a sociologist from the University of Zurich told BBC News Online that guns are "anchored" in Swiss society and that gun control is simply not an issue.

Some pro-gun groups argue that Switzerland proves their contention that there is not necessarily a link between the availability of guns and violent crime in society.

Low crime

But other commentators suggest that the reality is more complicated.

Switzerland is one of the world's richest countries, but has remained relatively isolated.

It has none of the social problems associated with gun crime seen in other industrialised countries like drugs or urban deprivation.

Despite the lack of rigid gun laws, firearms are strictly connected to a sense of collective responsibility.

From an early age Swiss men and women associate weaponry with being called to defend their country.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a very cool coutry to be in.  Taxes are high, but other than that they have great health programs and living conditions.  Very pretty coutryside, and they legalized marijuana.  The only thing people would probably have a problem with on this board is the socalist government and the some really weird food (strangest sausages in the world).
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It has none of the social problems associated with gun crime seen in other industrialised countries like drugs or urban deprivation.
View Quote

Code words for no large minority population.[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun racks next to the coat racks in pubs and cafes, no?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't see the gun racks next to coat racks but they sure like to decorate homes with elegant gun cases.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't see the gun racks next to coat racks but they sure like to decorate homes with elegant gun cases.
View Quote

Ahhhhhh, a civilized nation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its a very cool coutry to be in.  Taxes are high, but other than that they have great health programs and living conditions
View Quote

I thought taxes in CH were really low, especially in Zug canton.  Their cost of living is very high, as friends who have travelled there tell me.  Their currency is over-valued, so it's very expensive for foreigners.  I keep trying to figure out a way to move there.  I guess I need to be a multimillionaire first.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a model we sould shoot for. Unfortunately liberal POS have ruined it in more than one state here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously Swiss guns have been trained not to act unilaterally unlike their American cousins.

Swiss guns take a human to complete the shooting cycle.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Code words for no large minority population.[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/tongue.gif[/IMG]

View Quote
I hate to say it, but the facts bear out what you say.  Call me what you will, but the bottom line is that most violent/gun crimes are committed by those who are "urban deprived".
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
I hate to say it, but the facts bear out what you say.  Call me what you will, but the bottom line is that most violent/gun crimes are committed by those who are "urban deprived".
View Quote

Nature ?  Nurture?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
View Quote

Nature ?  Nurture?
View Quote
My answer to that is say to look anywhere around the world as said folks and look at crime and general situation.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
View Quote

Nature ?  Nurture?
View Quote
This from a London newspaper reporting on London's 87 percent increase in murders using guns.
[url]http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/top_story.html?in_review_id=484328&in_review_text_id=440945[/url]

The 16 murders involving black gangsters fighting for control of London's crack cocaine market represent a leap of 77 per cent.
View Quote
You may not like the British, but you won't see a politically correct U.S. newspaper make a statement like that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top