Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 10:57:20 AM EDT
I've asked several different people on this, and figured it couldn't hurt to ask the people here.  

I have $3,500.00 that I want to work for me right now. I know already the riskier the investment, the higher the potential gains, and vice-versa.
So, with that I'm willing to take SOME risk, but I really do not wish to loose my principle (or a third of it) within the same year. But I do wish to make a decent amount of money. Say 10% or higher annually is a good starting place. But I'd like 15% better (obviously). I'm looking for any and all ideas. Mention it even if you think I should know this already.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The question for me would be:  

How should one invest the $500 left over from the $3500 AFTER I get the new AR, a couple of cases of ammo, and take a long trip to Thunder Ranch?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
How old are you?? If under 45 yrs, apply this rule....

"Invest as risky as you can possibly stand and still be able to sleep at night."

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a safe stock to look into. I want in, but I am waiting for it to jump down to $25 a share.  
Pays 4 div a year, has a 5 div, that pays 10% in stock. So, in one year, you can have 110 shares of stock.
The stock is  
WASHINGTON FED S & L ASSN (WFSL)

Washington Federal Inc. is a holding company for  Washington Federal Savings, a Savings and Loan Association.  For the FY ended 9/30/01, total interest income rose 8% to  $536.4M. Net interest income after loan loss provision  increased 8% to $214.4M. Net income rose 8% to $113.6M.  Net interest income reflects greater interest-earning  assets and lower interest expense paid on FHLB advances.  Earnings were partially offset by higher compensations.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 20, and I don't [bold]NEED[/bold] the money. I'll still be able to pay my bills, and eat. But I'd be pissed if I lost . . . ANY . . . of it. But that's because I'm greedier than I should be. Yes, yes, why prepare for the future if the future isn't guaranteed; but what does it hurt to prepare for the future, right?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Or start dealing in arms to middle eastern terrorists at gun shows, [;)]
its seems like a good thriving business to the brady folks.  
50's are a hot commidity to the al-quias.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm 20, and I don't [bold]NEED[/bold] the money. I'll still be able to pay my bills, and eat. But I'd be pissed if I lost . . . ANY . . . of it. But that's because I'm greedier than I should be. Yes, yes, why prepare for the future if the future isn't guaranteed; but what does it hurt to prepare for the future, right?
View Quote

All true.

Based on this i would suggest a fairly agressive mutual fund.

It can get you better than 10%, but your capital is not as jeopardized as it would be with a single stock.

Walk into ANY brokers office with the cash in hand, and they will be able to point you to the appropriate fund.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
How long are you willing to let the money sit?  Will you want to use some of it in three years to buy a car, or are you willing to let it sit for thirty years to help pay for your retirement?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All true.

Based on this i would suggest a fairly agressive mutual fund.

It can get you better than 10%, but your capital is not as jeopardized as it would be with a single stock.

Walk into ANY brokers office with the cash in hand, and they will be able to point you to the appropriate fund.

View Quote

Mutual funds are for pussies!  
J/K
I would look for a single stock, and buy 100 shares of it.  Even Enron is a play to test, 100 shares of it is only $61!
Here is a other one I been looking at.
WILLIAMS COS INC (WMB)
WMB is engaged in the transportation and sale of  natural gas and petroleum products, and is engaged in energy  commodity trading and marketing. WMB also engages in the  communications business. For the 9 months ended 9/30/01,  revenues rose 33% to $8.72B. Earnings from cont. ops. rose  56% to $939.1M. Revenues reflect an increase in Energy  marketing and trading revenues. Earnings also benefited  from increased profit margins.  

Heck go look at  this one too.
KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS CORP (KKD)

Krispy Kreme is a branded specialty retailer of  premium quality doughnuts which are made throughout the day.  As of 7/29/01, there are 190 Krispy Kreme stores operating  nationwide. For the 39 weeks ended 10/28/01, revenues  rose 27% to $277.3M. Net income increased 73% to $18.1M.  Revenues benefited from increased comparable store sales  and new franchise stores. Earnings also reflect improved  operating efficiencies and lower interest expense.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would look for a single stock, and buy 100 shares of it.  Even Enron is a play to test, 100 shares of it is only $61!
View Quote

That's not investing. THAT is gambling. [:D]

Heck go look at  this one too.
KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS CORP (KKD)

Krispy Kreme is a branded specialty retailer of  premium quality doughnuts which are made throughout the day.  As of 7/29/01, there are 190 Krispy Kreme stores operating  nationwide. For the 39 weeks ended 10/28/01, revenues  rose 27% to $277.3M. Net income increased 73% to $18.1M.  Revenues benefited from increased comparable store sales  and new franchise stores. Earnings also reflect improved  operating efficiencies and lower interest expense.  
c-rock
View Quote

I hear KrispyKreme has a class action lawsuit pending against them - by teh National Association of Fat People with Clogged Arteries and Ridiculously  High Choleterol

[:D]

FWIW - those "premium quality donuts"  are just lumps of dough soaked in sugar and glaze. KKreme is pretty big around here, so I know a little about them.

In the BizarroWorld, i can see a lawsuit against KrispyKreme sometime in the not-too-distant future akin to the "cigarettes cause death" and "guns cause violence" lawsuits that are so chic right now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How long are you willing to let the money sit?  Will you want to use some of it in three years to buy a car, or are you willing to let it sit for thirty years to help pay for your retirement?
View Quote

If the interest rate seems to be good and it's stable, I'll let it sit for 5yrs or so. Anything longer than that would be for retirement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Sit on this:  [url]http://www.thunderranchinc.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Dolomite, I don't have the will-power to say "no" to this for very long...

Get thee behind me, Satan![devil]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Value funds are doing okay. You might try one of the small or mid-cap value funds. I would not buy into growth funds unless I can handle 3-5 years of slow or no growth. But for the long-term, small-cap growth is a good buy right now.

And the NASDAC is down 60% as of 1999 (its peak), so tech is a good buy right now if you can stand the wait (3-5 years, perhaps longer).

My $.02.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot,
with these stocks, you can sell option calls on them, and make a little $$$ on the side.  Not a bad deal, to get into selling call(Buy) options on stock you own.
Been doing it alot this year, and have made some extra $$$ on the side.
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
How about CMP Garands?  $3500 invested in them should grow in the next couple of years.  Plus you get to enjoy them in the meantime.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top