Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 8:57:52 AM EDT
[url]http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000102340dec27.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology[/url]

Unlocking the Power of the Body Electric
Scientists are working on tiny batteries that capture energy derived from motion and heat for military and civilian uses.

By Dave Wilson
American soldiers slogging though Afghanistan use constant radio communication, satellite navigation and night vision goggles. Today, a single grunt has capabilities and powers a battalion couldn't call on just a couple of decades ago.

But the gizmos that give a commando godlike abilities devour power. There was a time not so long ago when all an infantryman had to carry were a weapon and ammo. Now he's got to drag around a couple of pounds of batteries for stuff like his range finder.

Some servicemen have to lug a pack that tops 100 pounds, depending on the mission. When gear gets that heavy, the choice comes down to packing an extra AA battery or another couple of rounds for the rifle. There's only so much weight a man can carry before he looses his effectiveness as a soldier--and in many cases, a battery can be more important than a bullet. That is one reason so many researchers are trying to capture electricity derived directly from human bodies to power portable devices. Although much of the research has been aimed at military applications, low-end civilian uses for this technology will appear soon, perhaps even next year. And someday, the ability to self-generate power might help dramatically redesign many everyday things.

(To read more of the article click on the link)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, as technology gets smaller, it also uses much less power or lasts longer on the same sized battery. I forget who it was, GE or someone, has already synthesized molecule sized transistors. A super computer the size of the head of a pin could potentially run everything giant mainframes do now at a fraction of the power consumption. And if you can take the batteries out of the equation, these new technologies will boost modern warfare capabilities to factors only dreamed of in sci-fi. Power suits, bio-electric weapons, magnetic shields etc. All run by the soldier's own body. Sounds cool and scary.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, scary and possible.
I want the device that decides whether to give power to either my communicator or my body to be tested "very" well.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't, what are the plot lines?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top