Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 12:20:51 PM EDT
Looks like gunowners have done well in the state of Michigan....but, you do have some liberal naysayers waiting for a eff up.

LANSING -- With Oakland County leading the pack, Michigan counties have issued more than 21,000 licenses to carry concealed weapons under a controversial new law that went into effect July 1.

Another 14,613 applications were pending by mid-December, according to State Police records.

Seven licenses were revoked or suspended during that period, but only one for misbehavior involving a firearm, and none involved a shooting.

Representatives of several law enforcement agencies contacted by the Free Press said they had been pleasantly surprised by the CCW experience so far.

Opponents of the law said it is too soon to measure long-term consequences.

The law requires county gun boards to issue CCW licenses to most adults who pass a gun safety course and have no criminal record. It went into effect after the Michigan Supreme Court disqualified a petition drive aimed at suspending the law and placing the issue before state voters in 2002.

Ross Dykman, director of the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, said: "We're pretty pleased with the way it's working. There have been some delays. But there haven't been any serious problems."

Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III, who chaired the group that tried to block the law, remains skeptical.

"I certainly believe that the vast number of people getting these permits do not pose a threat," he said. But county gun boards can't adequately screen all applicants, "and there are going to be tragedies," Dunnings predicted.

Me: Check out Schumer's nephew above...

2nd ammenedment is still law,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been a long, uphill time coming, and the fight is far from over, but we're a long way ahead of where we were.  And it's 99% the MCRGO that did it.  [url]www.mcrgo.org[/url]
You got Dunnings dead on....every state has one.  If yours doesn't, you may have ours.  Please.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
21,000 licenses to carry concealed weapons under a controversial new law that went into effect July 1.
View Quote

Wow, 21,000 already!  When I originally heard about Michigan's new law last summer, I assumed it would be handled the same way South Carolina handles their "shall-issue" law.  What I mean by that is that the law says one thing, and the police do another.  Instead, they're actually issuing permits.  Nice job.
there are going to be tragedies," Dunnings predicted
View Quote

Hey Dunnings, how about the tragedies that didn't happen because the citizens were allowed to carry?  Nah, we'll never hear about those.z
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
We still need to get rid of the brady campaign's lap dog Levin though.  Then it will be a truly wonderful victory  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Congradulations all Michigan members. Your crime rate will now PLUMMET.

Works everywhere its tried......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top