Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/2/2002 10:34:11 AM EDT
My wife has applied to the following med schools. Obviously some of them are located in the vary states I never want to move to because of the anti-gun crap going on there. She just had her interview here in Colorado, THANK GOD, so we are praying and keeping our fingers crossed that we will be able to stay here. It is still in the air though for the next 3-5 months. What are your thoughts on these locations as far as gun laws, crime, neihborhoods, and housing prices. I heard handguns are outlawed in Chicago. Does that mean I would have to sell my guns? She applied to these, as well as Colorado, because they have the highest out of state acceptances. [red]Chicago Medical School[/red] Creighton University - Omaha, NE Eastern Virginia School of Medicine - Norfolk Hahnemann University - Philadelphia [red]Medical College of Ohio - Toledo[/red] Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Medical Univ of South Carolina - Charleston Meharry Medical College - Nashville, TN [red]New York Medical College - Valhalla, NY[/red] [red]Rush Medical College - Chicago[/red] Univ of Colorado University of Alabama - Birmingham VCU/Medical Coll of Virginia - Richmond [red]Wright State University - Dayton, OH[/red]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:41:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By weemer: Medical Univ of South Carolina - Charleston
View Quote
A friend of mine just recently started up there. SC has very nice gun laws. No permit required for private party pistol purchase (or long gun) Concealed carry "shall issue" state AND they just legalized class III (not that you'll be able to afford C3 after med school bills [:D] )
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:44:08 AM EDT
Nashville, TN is a nice town. Chicago, IL... parts of it are pretty neat, but a big part of it is stinking shithole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:46:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By weemer: Eastern Virginia School of Medicine - Norfolk VCU/Medical Coll of Virginia - Richmond
View Quote
Well, these are the only two schools I can really comment on. Eastern Virginia School of medicine is definitely on the up and coming list. Students get more clinical experience here than at many other schools. VCU/MCV is a very good school, and very well respected. They are also going through a lot of expansion, so there will be a lot of new facilities. If it were me (and I got into both), I'd pick MCV. Richmond is pretty cheap to live in, and it's right in the middle of the state. Not far from Metro D.C. area, not far from the beach, mountains, etc. And again, MCV is an excellent school. Oh yeah, Virginia gun laws are some of the best IMHO. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:53:26 AM EDT
One thing, Virginia has a one handgun a month law, if you do not buy a handgun that month, do you get a fine? or have to by=uy two the next month?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:58:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheWind: One thing, Virginia has a one handgun a month law, if you do not buy a handgun that month, do you get a fine? or have to by=uy two the next month?
View Quote
If you could not afford to buy a gun one month, you do not get fined. However, if you have plenty of money and you do not buy one gun a month, the law requires that you get fined. However, we have a new Governor who will probably end up trying to repeal these fines for the anti-gun folks, and a new Attorney General who would rather make it a prison term than a fine. Who knows, we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:59:53 AM EDT
what's this subject doing on a firearms page?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:07:01 AM EDT
Creighton Univ. is good, and Nebraska's laws aren't the worst in the world. No CCW (yet), but other than that pretty good. You have to get the handgun permit to buy a handgun (good for 3 years), but once you do you can bypass NICS for every single gun purchase you make, pistol or long gun. Just don't buy a gun in Omaha proper. Douglas Co. has a pre-registration when you buy a gun. Transfer it to an FFL in an adjacent county (Sarpy Co. -- Bellevue and Papillion) and you don't have to worry about it. One indoor range and Lincoln is less than an hour away with some good gun stores (or so I hear). Oh, yeah. Creighton is a good school, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:14:45 AM EDT
Aside from carry (open and concealed) being [i]de facto[/i] prohibited here, Ohio doesn't have bad gun laws. Dayton and Toledo have their own goofy laws but both cities are small enough that you can live outside the city limits and ignore them. The worst thing about central, western and northwestern OH is the boring geography. There aren't any mountains, or deserts, or major forests, or nice beaches. But if you're from eastern Colorado you might not think it's so bad. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:44:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Spearweasel: Nashville, TN is a nice town. Chicago, IL... parts of it are pretty neat, but a big part of it is stinking shithole.
View Quote
Yes this is true. Chicago is a nice town to visit, but living there is a different story. Now, handguns are not illegal in the city, only unregistered ones are. Now, they won't let you register any more! Dont worry, tons of folks own pistols and rifles there, they just break the law. How do I know? I was there on the north side of the city on NYE, and heard them! Lots of pistols, and such. AR's and such are banned too, anything black, and pistol grip is a no-no. If she goes there, keep the good stuff somewhere's else, 12 GA for the trouble is ok. I dont worry, I live outside of the city! c-rock
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:51:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By weemer: I heard handguns are outlawed in Chicago. Does that mean I would have to sell my guns?
View Quote
True, handguns are outlawed. However, you don't have to sell your guns. You could: 1) Reside in a suburb which doesn't have Chicago's nonsensical laws. 2) Keep your guns outside of the city. 3) Don't tell anyone that you have the guns. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:06:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:08:39 PM EDT
Be not afraid but plan. Sell, I mean "sacrafice" all but a couple or three that you've just gotta keep. Obtain a "continuing nuptial agreement" that provides for your financial well being for say....twenty years after her graduation from med school. Dream of that Stoner 63 (Cadillac-Gauge) that you're gonna have. [smoke]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:34:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jett3: what's this subject doing on a firearms page?
View Quote
The name of this forum is "General Discussion" Ok, back to the subject. If you like your guns and you can help it [red][size=6]STAY AWAY FROM CHICAGO!![/size=6][/red] The laws SUCK there. They make it look pretty on TV but a lot of it is a dump, and hey, tops in murders per-capita! If you enjoy things such as CCW or class 3 you should avoid Illinois all together. Of course there's c-rock's and soylentgreen's advice if you find that Chicago is the way to go. At least the food is the best![^]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:33:23 PM EDT
SC has very nice gun laws.
View Quote
Garandman, sometimes I want to flame you. If you weren't such a nice and helpful guy I would. :) In my opinion, SC is one of the few anti-gunner paradises in the south. While there is a shall-issue CCW law on the books, the state police ignore it. The appeal process is almost nonexistent. You're not allowed to appeal until the state police get around to completing the paperwork (which doesn't usually happen). It stinks like Chicago's handgun permits. They can't outlaw handguns, so they just don't process the paperwork. There is a one handgun per month limit. Also, new handguns must be registered with the state police. Class III? According to the AG's office, there isn't a single class III weapon in private hands in the state. SC has an "alter ego" defense of other doctrine that makes it dangerous (legally) to come to the aid of another. Also, the duty to retreat requirements are overly complicated (although, they're not as bad as some other states). I will second the recommendation for the Medical Univ of South Carolina - Charleston. I've had three relatives attend that school. While it isn't the best academically, they enjoyed living in Charleston, and all three said positive things about the school's financial aid department.z
Top Top