Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 6:23:40 AM EDT
I came into posession of what I thought (hoped) might be a rare rifle.
This rifle is a Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903 National Match.  Only about 2,000 were ever produced and they were used by certain Army units in the 1919 National Matches.

I had found an article on these rifles in "Man at Arms," April 2001 and this rifle seemed to have all the criteria of the rifle featured in that article - the only R.I.A. Model 1903 N.M. known to exist.

Anyway I posted for "help" on the General Firearms Discussion Board on 12/22/01, by 12/23/01 I had several referrals directing me to certain boards where these types of rifles were discussed, posted on these boards for "help" and by 12/26/01 was in contact by email with one of the co-authors of the Man at Arms article.

After exchanging emails we spoke last night 1/01/02 and the rifle is confirmed to be valid and the best example of the original known to exist.

My final step is to send the rifle to the co-author of the MaA, John Beard for visual confirmation and he will issue a "Letter of Authenticity."

(I had pretty vast knowledge of the 1903's myself having once held one.)

Without the knowledge and help of you members I'd have been still scratching my ass wondering what to do next !

Thanks !!!!!!!!
[beer]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My final step is to send the rifle to the co-author of the MaA, John Beard for visual confirmation and he will issue a "Letter of Authenticity."

([beer]
View Quote

Before sending it anywhere, insure it properly. or better yet, hand deliver it, AFTER properly insuring it.

It would be a shame for it to "dissappear."

I hope it works out to be whatcha think it is. That would be cool.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
G. Man,
BIGG insurance and overnight Fed Ex.
Both John Beard and I are certain this rifle is the real-deal.
S/N's, proof stamps, cartouches, etc., make the rifle fairly easy to identify - once you know what exactly should me there.

Forgot to mention but unbelievably this rifle is also in  a solid 90% condition after all these years and has original accessories the other rifle didn't have - oiler, thong, cleaning rod - even the front sight cover is there.

The other guy sure got a nice Mini-14 in trade !
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally....I`d be afraid to "send" it anywhere.....good luck with it......did you say mini 14?..........[:O]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The other guy sure got a nice Mini-14 in trade !
View Quote

I thought you were going to say something nice! You're killing me!  Tell me at least you had to give up some cash too.  You really suck!  If not, I hope you have trouble sleeping at night.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Good idea on the heavy insurance and overnigh. You've got something rare and valuable. Now it NOT the time to quible about "Gee, should I send it $10 regular ground or $25 overnight?" Cost be damned, man, cost be damned. [:D]

Please keep us updated.

Man, did you really trade a Mini-14 for that 'old' bolt gun. Did you get taken or what?[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really suck!  If not, I hope you have trouble sleeping at night.  
View Quote

The guy with the '03 was a gun show walk around.

I had been thinking about maybe getting a 1903 but was after a Springfield.  (Heck, I didn't know anyone but Springfield even made the 1903!)

I was settling for a non-Springfield and the guy wanted the Mini-14.

Wish I could say what a wheelin and dealin devil I was but I didn't have a clue !
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought that by having something nice to say he meant that he was going to donate it to a real nice Canadian!!

LIKE ME!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really suck!  If not, I hope you have trouble sleeping at night.  
View Quote

The guy with the '03 was a gun show walk around.

I had been thinking about maybe getting a 1903 but was after a Springfield.  (Heck, I didn't know anyone but Springfield even made the 1903!)

I was settling for a non-Springfield and the guy wanted the Mini-14.

Wish I could say what a wheelin and dealin devil I was but I didn't have a clue !
[smoke]
View Quote

Hahaha! So you "settled" for the '03 you got? Now you can tell that story every time you pull it out of your safe to show it off.[:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
how far away is he from you?? if it were me i would deliver it myself,, i don't trust the delivery guys at all............
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how far away is he from you?? if it were me i would deliver it myself,, i don't trust the delivery guys at all............
View Quote

I'm in Oklahoma City and he is in Huntsville, Alabama.
Pretty good little haul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top