Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2001 2:59:37 PM EDT
This weekend, I shot a friends SR-15 M4 Carbine.  It was a really nice rifle, with an excellent trigger.  I have shot quite a few AR's over the years, but never before a Knight/ Stoner.  Needless to say, I was impressed.  I never really concidered one before because I seem to remember they were very expensive.

I would be very interested to get both personal experinces with the rifle and any other facts( type of rifling, trigger, special treatments, etc.), the web page doesn't say too much.  Any idea what one would cost?

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, Knights makes extremely nice rifles. Not many would dispute that. They are also the most expensive factory AR's you can buy. Maybe Wilson Combat or Les Baer makes an AR for the same price. I personally don't think that the increase in price is justified. The Knights SR-15 M4 doesn't shoot any better than either of my M4's (Colt & Bushmaster M4gery), both pre-ban.

Knights rifles have a certain refinement to lines of their guns that no other AR has. Sort of rounded seems, or ridges. It's immediately noticable when a Knights is next to any other AR. If that "look" is important, than Knights is your only choice.

What I REALLY don't like about the K.M.C. M4, is the fake flash-hider. If you take a close look at the last inch and a half of the barrel, they have superimposed a fake, totally non-functional flash-hider around the barrel itself. Don't get me wrong, it's not a fake flash-hider stuck on the end of the barrel, it's the last inch of the barrel itself, with a flash-hider "design" wrapping the last inch of the barrel. Total crap-ola. I can't believe Knights would do that.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1242673&a=9213640&p=43588462[/img]

Personally, for the money, I'd buy a pre-ban Bushmaster, and get a new pre-ban M4 upper from B.M.'s webpage. Sell the original upper to off-set the cost of the M4 upper.

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw a bunch at the Tampa Gun Show; base price
$2400.00 and up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You're thinking of KAC SR25s.  Those start at around $2400 and go way up from there, depending on accessories and configuration (match, lightweight, carbine, preban, postban, etc.)

The postban SR15M4s shouldn't cost much more than $1250NIB.  This prices is for a flattop with 300m flipup sight, and the KAC RAS.  One just sold on AuctionArms for under $1000.  If you need a source for KAc rifles, email me.    

BTW the webpage [url]www.knightsarmament.com[/url] is not the webpage of KAC, some cybersquater built the page and tried to sell it to KAC for some outrageous price.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason I ask, my friend has a few extras(NIB), and he offered one to me for under $1000.  First thought would be they are "hot" or not real, but he is generous and well off.  Needless to say, a good friend to have. :-)

I was really impressed with its handling.  It had the front pistol grip which made handling fast and easy, especially with 100 Bata C mag being emptied as fast as I could pull the trigger.  He asked me to function test the mag, as it was new to him, to make sure it was fine!!!  :-)--- How many smiles can I put to sufficiantly express the fun???

He also had an ACOG sight mounted, which also enhanced the capabilities.  It was my first real opportunity to extensively use the sighting system.  I was impressed.

Thanks for the imput so far.  I am really interested in what enhancements make it cost so much more.  I noticed the bolt carrier was cromed, the excellent trigger, etc...  I was wondering if the barrel is any better, or if its like the Bushmasters, which is a good barrel in my opinion.

Thanks,

fuatos
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
fuatos, IMO the upside to the SR15 is the fact that it comes with the rail system and the 2 stage trigger.  Also the fit/finish are superior to anything on the market. Colts and Bushmaster don't compare. The chrome bolt carrier and bolt are also a plus.
The downside is the "sinker" faux muzzle brake. It is splined and attached with industrial epoxy. the only way to remove it is to cut it off and then attach a permanent post ban brake/compensator. Another downside is the non-chrome barrel. This can be a problem if you do a lot of rapid fire (heat/pressure)

HK, give a hand here. How are you arriving at the $1250.00 figure?

I just bought one from CFI through a friend of mine who holds an FFl. Dealer price was $1195. Add s/h and tax and the total was just at $1300.00. That was with zero dealer markup.  Who is selling SR15s M4s for $1250.00? Do you have a name or contact info. I would be interested in talking with them to see how they are obtaining them at such a low cost. My conversations with both KAC and CFI lead me to believe that only 600 were produced and that there will be no more in the foreseeable future. BTW all I could find on AA was a SR15 on which the bids were up to $1100.00 and the reserve hadn't been met. Info on these low priced SR15s would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
PDM,

Well, I've seen them priced around $1200 at various locations, but if you want one factory new, my C3 has them listed at $1275.  Not sure if he has them in stock at this moment, but I'm going in this week to make and order, so I'll check with him.  Try [url]http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Knights%20Mfg.htm[/url]

Chad is one of the best guys in the business, great to deal with.

As far the auction, it ended about a week or two ago.  It was a no reserve auction, I believe it started at $700, and ended at $1000, here is the linky [url]http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=1094423[/url]

No offence, but IMHO CFI is WAY overpriced on just about everything.  They sell good stuff, but I could easily find anything they sell for about 15-25% less from other distributers.

A limited number of SR15s produced is news to me, I've never been told that, but I don't know everything![;)]

Fuatos, maybe you can let us in on your source too, do you have any idea what he would sell them for?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The Stoner 2-stage trigger on my BM is the best I've used. I had to go with a Jewell on my Colt, because there isn't one aval. The Jewell is a fine trigger, but the Stoner is awesome. The break compares to my JP single stage on my BM V-Match. I have a few Stoners FS if anyone's interested. They're not cheap, though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
HK, thanks for the info. I agree with you regarding CFI. Interesting note: I was quoted $1095.00 on the phone by CFI. When the invoice arrived it had grown by $100.00. I called CFI and was told that I was mistaken.

If you get a chance pls ask your friend if they're available. I'd like to konow if I was fed a line of bull regarding the limited production.  

M4, you hit the nail on the head with tour comments on the fake brake. I called KAC to see how to reomve it and was told to sell the rifle and buy and buy what I want!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top