Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 1:05:45 PM EDT
How come it's so quiet now about Y2K?  Given that this New Year's is actually the "real" end of the Millenium, what gives?

And I wonder if everybody who stockpiled stuff has gotten through those stores of dried beans and unground wheat yet?

[:P]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Your off a year. The Millenium began in 2001.

Check your math....

We dodged a bullet in the Y2K rollover. Could have been a lot worse.

Av.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Um, no, [b]last[/b] year was the end of the millenium - this was year 2001  See, it has the '1' in it - means it's the first year in the millenium [;)]

The argument about when the millenium ended/began was over the 1999/2000 vs 2000/2001 new year ... not 2001/2002!

We've been in the new millenium 364 days (and a few hours) already...

That's why it's so quiet about Y2K - Y2K was over at least a year ago and actually the real 'Y2K' thing was over almsot 2 years ago already ...

I gave a bunch of my stuff to the 'mission' in my area - they really loved it and I enjoyed the tax deduction [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have 15 cans of spagetti and meatballs
that I got in '99 that I am afraid to open now.
Every thing else is gone/used.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: I still have 15 cans of spagetti and meatballs
View Quote

Target Practice!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I was always worried more about the fanatical
Christians than the computer chips. I still have plenty of ammo but only 9 MRE's left.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Oops!  That's what having kids will do to ya![:)]

I've still got water in the garage that's now 14 months old... and I'm sure I won't want to drink it!  [:P]

Seriously, I think Y2K was good practice for the most part, and it has become a more regular habit to be better prepared for come what may.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It wasn't so much the Millenium that was the problem but the year 2000 itself.  Older computer programs, to save precious disk space, used two-digit years for calculations, etc.  Since numbers could be 'packed' to use less bytes than characters, years were stored as decimal numbers.  Financial institutions used the last two digits of the year as part of their 'period' concept (ie 9901 would be the first period of 1999; 0001 would be the first period of 2000).  Since leading zeros usually get truncated, the period 0001 would really be 1.
The reason that nothing major happened was that programmers recognized the problem in advance and corporations put out big bucks to either fix or replace systems.  Nothing happened because the programmers did a good job, though a very unrecognized good job.  There were a few things, though:  In New Hampshire, all year 2000 automobiles purchased were listed on the titles as 'horseless carriages' because the system thought they were made before 1901.  But as I said:  the programmers did their job; quietly and effectively, so that all the doomsayers looked like idiots when 2001 roled around.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
1 can of SPAM left ....

and a whole box of instant de-hydrated water to go...

And one of these days people will start buying phone systems again and I can make money to buy more toys with ...

Ted...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still have 15 cans of spagetti and meatballs
Every thing else is gone/used.
View Quote

Use it. Unless the cans are bulging there's nothing wrong with them. Hell, I've found and used, with no ill effects, cans in the back of my notoriously messy and crammed pantry that were over a decade old.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

and a whole box of instant de-hydrated water to go...

Ted...
View Quote

LOL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top