Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/31/2001 8:02:31 AM EDT
A FOX news guest expert has just opined as to the "why" the Army is relieving the Marines in the Afghan. This expert believes the Marines may going to Yemen to have a look-see for Osama Bin. (If true that means the Special Forces are already there.) Yemen would make sense as that's where the Bin Laden's originated. Pure guess would be the Saudi's provided escape assistance. (If any of this turns out to be true.) [?]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:21:57 AM EDT
Britain has a significant presence next door in Oman and has just recently completed a joint exercise in the region "Saif Shareea" with the Omanis. As early as 28 September, "independent operators" have been reported in Sanaa trying to recruit Yemenis to rat out Arab Taliban members. These operators could be SAS, CIA or any number of ostensibly covert groups. The shift in responsibility in Afghanistan is not surprising. The Marines are not well equipped to occupy regions for extended periods; their expertise lies in capturing and establishing controlled areas. Frankly, I don't think OBL will be found. I think he was "disappeared" courtesty of some of his Western business associates - perhaps UNOCAL?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:33:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DzlBenz: The shift in responsibility in Afghanistan is not surprising. The Marines are not well equipped to occupy regions for extended periods; their expertise lies in capturing and establishing controlled areas.
View Quote
No disagreement. Probably the military simply wants the Marines back on onboard their ships so they may be deployed to...(X) However, I've long believed that Yemen would be high on Osama Bin's list of countries where he could find sanctuary. With the aid of the Saudi's of course.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:46:14 AM EDT
Yeah, if he's anywhere to be had, Yemen is as likely of a place as any. Yemen is really a wreck, though. Most Yemenis could make the average Taliban seem right civilized by comparison - they are a crude, lawless lot. My opinion of what the Marines' mission in Yemen is that they should seek out and crush OBL sympathizers that are plotting to renew the cause of Al-Quaeda. If OBL's funding pipeline has dried up (at least for now) then the next wave of terrorist activities will not be so high profile. Look for more "lone gunman" actors like this clown with the "Air Osama" sneakers. It will be harder to stop organized terrorism at the cell level next year than it is to stop it at the infancy now.
Top Top