Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2001 11:48:39 AM EDT
Ihave a AR-10 on oder, I have read on the Armalite site that some AR-10's wont function with military ammo. I have a few cases of S.A. and Israeli, both have functioned with out a hitch through my M1A& HK-91.Does anyone have any exprience with the 10 and this combo of ammo? In my mind a military rifle should functionwith military ammo, I'm cheap and do not intend on using anything but surplus that has a good rep. I know this is a 15 site but I figured there are some 10 owners here and I need info!
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
...has eaten every type of cheap surplus ammo it's been fed... [:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good to hear, do you have to do any prep to the ammo or weapon, I have read over there guys wre wiping down ammo with oil and scrubbing it with steel wool just to get it to function.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea why they would do that... The steel wool idea might work if all you could get was corroded ammo, but oil?? If you need oil to get the brass to slide back out fo the chamber then you need to be using other ammo. (IMHO)

When I said cheap ammo, I in no way meant old, corroded, coated, grimy or otherwise non-serviceable. I meant more along the lines of whatever you might find floating around a show and some that was given by friends.

ps.. the only prep I've ever done was loading the mag... :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Putting oil on ammo can result in Ka Booms.  The cartridge case is supposed to expand slightly in the chamber, and should contract just before extraction.  Putting oil on ammo is not recommended because, the theory goes, if there's oil on the ammo, now it may not expand properly.  Or it may not expand uniformly if there's more oil on one side than the other.  The burning powder is contained in a volume, and shape different than originally designed and Ka Boom!  I would think it would take alot more oil to do this than anyone would really put on ammo, but I've heard the warning in many a reloading manual, so you've been warned.  

Also oil on ammo is a magnet for dirt, dust, and particles.  It would seem to be counter-productive to reliable feeding.  If you have to lubricate your ammo, then you need better ammo, or a different gun (unless you have a .276 Pedersen or something that only works with lubricated ammo).

Ross
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the T model and have not had a problem.
I dont know for shure but I think they have a tighter(min.) chamber.I have shot the following
1. PMC Nato M80 ball equivalent 1 to11/2"
2. Black Hills Match 1/2 to 5/8"
3. Federal Match 1/2 to 5/8"
Now I havent shot a lot but each time I do it seems to cycle smoother and the acc. get better
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Armalite AR10 A4 Carbine. It has functioned flawlessly with every type of surplus ammo I fed it. I even had some surplus ammo that had very minimal corrosion on the outside of the brass cases from storage that fed without one jam.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
"...I've ordered an AR10....I have a M1A and
a HK91...I'am cheap...I will only shoot Military
surplus ammo..."

Why is it the people with the best guns are
the biggest idiots. They buy guns that can
shoot sub/min. and cram them with cheap ammo
that won't shoot less than 2or 3 min/angle.

Get some Hirtenburger... its reloadable
Try AIM they're running a special

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
good point hang fire. if you can afford the gun you should be able to afford the ammo. kinda like people that buy pickups with big blocks that get 6 mpg the bitch about how they cant afford the gas for it well hmmm... why didnt you think of that before you bought it>? armalite isnt withholding anything they told you what it will shooot reliably you shoot something else and it jams its justtoo damn bad
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Hangfire just nailed it!! All truth & no poetry.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I own the  Ar 10 A2 had for a year now and have shot mostly the more affordable  stuff "surplus"
 and i can count the times it's jammed on one hand,  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top