Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 7:58:15 AM EDT
So does anyone think anything will happen?  I live 20 miles east of the city.  How far is "safe" from a Nuclear explosion?  I figure if something does happen, I'm pretty much screwed being trapped here on the Island.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I will be working Times Square with the rest of the job.  Sure hope nothing happens.  Hate to ring in the new year with a bang,
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Man you is fucked man can I have you gear now?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope they give me one of those nuke beeper things, so when it goes off I grab the terrorist scumbag and tear him limb from limb.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, I can't belive they actually have such a website.. I guess one could use it both ways!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Gringo, what do you mean by "the rest of the job"??  

Some of us have this week as a vacation pick!!

PS, if you want me to hold your AR for safekeeping this weekend while youre at the times square detail, gimme a call. Hehehe

Steven
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually Times Square would probably be one of the most secure places on the planet this New Years Eve. I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Well if Times Square does get nuked it will be by a nuke that is already there and maybe has been there since before 9/11 hooked to a timer and just waiting. Something to think about. Life sucks and death sucks more. May I be totally wrong about this and everyone will have a happy and more importantly safe New Years Eve.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
That PBS link is only for those big boy nukes.  Most likely if terrorist dirt bag has them, they are much smaller and will most likely be the "dirty" type that have a small explosion and the rest of its energy spewed out as radation.  Still bad news though, but a much smaller area (a few city blocks) would be damaged and/or contaminated than if hit by an nuke warhead for instance.  

However - if they have somehow gotten their hands on a "surplus" commie warhead, then all bets are off.  With all the talk over the last few years of the Russians not keeping track of their warheads, this scenario is not impposible.  Anywhere near NYC is not a good place.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If there is one, which I doubt, just media hype, thats why I dont watch the news anymore, it would be so small that it would probably blow up a large stadium worth of area and if the flash didnt get you you will be alright, if your not in the imediate vicinity. If it was to blow up at ground level, minimal damage and minimal exposure to the flash, thanks to buildings as far as fallout, dont breath it.
GG
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think there's going to be any problems. I'm about 50 miles East of NYC so I guess i'm also screwed if something goes bad...
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, just think.  All it would take to create nationwide panic is for ONE terrorist scumbag to toss **ONE** hand grenade into the crowd and you'd kill hundreds from the stampede alone.  Next, every other public New Year's celebration would be shot down in a heartbeat.

One grenade - nationwide panic.

Sad to say but terrorism **is** highly effective.

Be safe.  Watch your 6.

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top