Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 5:38:01 AM EDT
I haven't check our policy yet, but is there something which might say "You are only allowed x amount of bullets?"  All of my ammo is stored in ammocans and stored in the basement ie cool dry.  

Do any of you have a special policy which allows you to store a lot of ammo?  What happens if there is a fire and your house isn't covered because of the ammocans.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
About ten years ago my place burned to the ground,taking all my guns and everything else with it.  I stood on the lawn in my bathrobe and watched.  
In the next couple months I learned more than I really wanted to know about (A) insurance policies (B) insurance adjustors and (C)what really happens to ammo/guns/powder in a total house fire.
You'll have to read your policy...all of it...even the fine print...to know what's covered.  They're all different, but most will have a limit somewhere in there on the amount of coverage of art, jewelry, guns and such.  They lump everything from ammo to reloading presses to holsters under "guns", and the limit is usually piddling.  Like, $500 or something.
If you want all that stuff covered, you'll have to buy either a separate policy or a rider to your regular one.  Be prepared to list absolutely every little thing you want covered, and pay 2%-4% of its value per year.  If you sell a gun or buy another, you have to call the insurance company and get the thing changed.  Every time.
Some companies won't cover guns at all, some agents won't touch them just on personal bias.
Yeah, it's a bitch.

Edited to say:  I didn't really answer your first question.  If they refuse to cover a loss because there "was too much ammo" in there, they'll have to either have had a limit in the policy, or be able to show that the stuff wasn't stored according to any fire codes in your particular area.  My company had no problem with the ammo, they just didn't cover any of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I just refinanced my house last week.  Our attorney was reviewing the fine print and came to a part about storage of explosive substances being prohibited.  They listed "gasoline, kerosene, etc."  I can look up exact verbage if interested - it was one of the big three banks in Virginia/East Coast.  My wife and I just grinned at each other and said "isn't that funny."  This is not listed in our insurance policy that I can find, but it is listed in the standard mortgage form.  If your home burns down because of tannerite, gunpowder, incindiary rounds, gasoline, kerosene, etc., one must wonder what the bank will do?  

Insurance is a whole different thing.  I think they would still cover the loss unless they can prove it was intentional.  Their standard loss amounts are low (as Celt mentioned).  They do offer riders for firearms, etc.  I added this rider when I got a few class III firearms that are worth more than cars.  I don't think that was your question, though...

Sorry I haven't been in touch, 7.  My timesheet just told me I worked ~400 hours in December so far.  Nothing personal :)

Black Fox
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, great topic.  Maybe I'm stupid, but I never even thought to check about special coverage for my guns.  I never really thought about the fine print concerning ammo either.  I'm going to look into it on January 2.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The NRA does provide a very minimum of coverage for your firearms, but it's not much. Also if you are in violation of some obscure Municipal or State law/ordinance concerning ammunition/powder storage, the insurance company might try and wiggle out of paying you. Check this out before the fact and not later after you have a loss. Your local PD and Fire Department would be a good place to start asking questions.

7th
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My main point in this questions is... seeing what would happen if there is a fire and they find out I have x amount of ammo stored.  Would they say they won't cover the house?   I'm currently checking into this now.  Sure would hate to not be able to store lots of ammo.

Blackfox, thats ok I still love ya. [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The NRA insurance is for $1000, and, in my case at least, they did pay off.  Not in a hurry, but they paid.  My insurance company paid the $500 my policy allowed, too.  That's it.  Not much consolation for $20,000 worth of guns a stuff.

One thing you learn is that the friendly local agent that sold you the policy is suddenly no longer in the picture.  He may be there, and sympathetic, but the adjustor the company sends out is god.  His attitude is going to go a long way toward determining what you get, and he's a wild card.

Again, it's all going to come down to the fine print in that poilicy....so read it.  Then read it again.  About one person out of fifty ever does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top