Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2001 8:20:25 AM EDT
...after reading Imbroglio's post and the enlightened replies.  

So when a man meets me does he automatically assume I'm a slut because I am a woman?  

If I frequent bars because I play pool and really enjoy dancing, is this further evidence of my whoring nature?  

At what point will it occur to a man to ASK ME about myself or will he just be content with his delusions?  

Should I wear a sign detailing the years and months of my celibacy on my shirt, close to my breasts.. or would it be better displayed on my a$$?

I think Imbroglio's upset more so because he likes this girl and she's discussing other men around him but the responses from some of y'all... dang...

I am a single woman with no children who owns her own home, has a good job, is educated, is not fugly and who is not jumping from relationship to relationship trying to find someone to fix me.  We are out there.  We don't all sleep around.  But we [i]are[/i] a bit jaded by men who lay lines on us, lie to us ("I'll call you"), and who call us sluts behind our backs or even to our faces.  

And we are more selective about the men we will date....  
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
And such is the paradox of relationships in our society today.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you live in CT per chance? :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:

And we are more selective about the men we will date....  
View Quote

Than who? The women that YOU assume are whores and sluts?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Garden weasel,

Perhaps your comment was well-founded.  Perhaps.

However, when I say I am more selective, I mean that if I have achieved certain level of stability in my life, why would I date someone who hasn't?  Case in point, a while back I met a guy who I was very attracted to, could hold a decent conversation, had a decent job, etc.. but he was a raging alcoholic.  Good-natured, mind you [:)] but still not something I was interested in.  This is not to say that the woman who would date him is a slut or whore but the woman who would want a relationship with him is a)co-dependent and thinks she can help him or b)doesn't have enough foresight to realize what a problem his drinking will be.

Perhaps I shouldn't have qualified my statement with the word "more" but should have simply let it stand that some women simply are selective.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I'm not going to lie... I am far from perfect but I think I have a lot going for me.  But it's because I work at it and that means most of my time is taken up enjoying my life.

Like I said, I play pool, I go dancing, I work out at the YMCA, play on a women's basketball team, go to Insane Clown Posse concerts, try to make it to the range and to church more often, etc.  I want to go skiing next year.  I'm going to try cycling and rock climbing this spring.  I want to go back to college.  [i]I just do what interests me...[/i]  

I find a guy who's passionate about something, even if it's something I don't understand at all, infinitely more interesting than someone who has no hobbies.  In fact, it was my ex's passion about guns that sparked something between us.  [:)]  

Wanted to add that as much as I would like to say appearances don't matter, they do.  I've lost 25 lbs and plan to go down another 15 or so and it was actually motivated by a comment made by Adam Carolla on Love Lines.  He said, "There are a lot of women out there who are pretty cute but are a little overweight and they whine about how the guys they like shouldn't care about their looks and should love them for who they are.  I say, get over it!!  Why not just lose the extra 20-30lbs and get the guy you really want?"  

For some reason that made sense to me.  And I think guys should look at it the same way.  If you sit around and have a beer gut, dress like a slob, etc.. don't expect the woman you want to come running. [;)]  
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Miss Magnum.....

I don't think anyone here has called in to question your virtues as a woman.

Imbroglio simply ran in to a woman who thought that "objectifying" men was her little gimmick. There's nothing wrong with a man responding in kind.

Responses and reactions are developed on an individual basis, or at least they should be. I think most of the responses to Imbroglios thread were pretty fitting. You however are one of us, and I think that in general you'll find nothing but support from the men here.

Women, like men, come in many flavors. Some are pure filet mignon and some are spam smeared on a saltine. It's up to each of us to define our own flavor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Miss Magnum,
 Your post intrigued me enough to go find Imbroglio's post and read it, though I didn't wade through all the replies.  I can't speak for everyone else, so I'll just speak for myself.
  People are individuals with different levels of maturity.  My impression of the woman he met was that she was not yet to the stage where she valued the person more than the externals.  If he expected better than that, he should be looking for someone else.  I don't rate her as anything different than the guys who only look for T&A for their dates.
  I've been married and divorced.  My ex-wife fooled around, wouldn't work on the problems and so I've got the kids, 6, 4 & 18mos.  If I was looking for a woman, her looks would be last on the list.  Her values, intelligence, and sense of humor are far more important because they will last, looks won't. I've also found, that the women I have known have all become better looking the longer I've known them and the better friends we have become.  I'm not looking right now as I'm concentrating on my kids and trying to find someone who is Christian, conservative, likes guns, likes my kids and has the previously mentioned qualities is too much work at this time.

So, to answer your questions, I don't automatically assume a woman is a slut.  Some are, most aren't, and I don't look for those who are.  Dancing and playing pool are not whore characteristics.  Can't comment on your sign as I don't know where I'd wear mine!
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
About 3% of what was written on the original post was serious stuff. The guys were having fun and just being guys. Anyway what do you expect from a firearms related board?

Men R pigs!
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Miss Magnum, you like playing pool, and shooting, you live in a free State, and go see the [b]Insane Clown Posse[/b]?!?!?[:D]

I'll keep your resume' on the top of the stack in case my girlfriend ever leaves me!![;)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope everyone stays unhappy. That way when it becomes possible to alter your phenotype through gene therapy I can fetch top $$$$ for my DNA from people looking for perfection.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Getsome, that wasn't the real Imbrog|io. That was the cyber-squatting troll that took Imbroglio's name before he got a chance to get it himself.

In this case, the real Imbroglio has a "|" instead of an "l".

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#13]
My mistake. It should be a crime to steal ones name. I can fix this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep... love ICP... In fact, my friends thought I was beyond crazy because I went alone.  Noone else wanted to see them so I said, "F*ck it" and went by myself.  Within 15 minutes I met some people and we ended up hanging out all night.  I even waded into the mosh pit and I was about 15 from the front until I realized that, at 28, I am a little old to be hanging onto a post for dear life, getting elbowed by teenagers, and gasping for air all just to get sprayed with Fagel.... Good times, man!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Miss Magnum, don't be depressed.  Trust me when I say that there are many young guys out there who are looking for a stable, employed, educated, pool playing lady like you.  These guys also get discouraged with how the "dating scene" seems these days (won't mention any names).  To some, it seems that the saying "good guys finish last" is getting closer to the truth every day.  Not for a lack of trying mind you, but finding someone who has little "baggage", is mature enough to see what's important in life (not how many beers one can guzzle night after night, how many people he/she can sleep with, how many jobless years one can live at home with the parents before getting kicked out, etc.), is willing to put forth the effort to get to know and befriend someone before letting the relationship get too serious, and just having a love of life is not easy for many of us (again, not naming any names).  

Theoretically, single, educated, gainfully employed young men and women should have an easy time finding that "special someone" but in reality, I don't see that to be true.  

Anyway, keep up the search and don't lower yourself down to the level of idiots.  It'll work out if you just be yourself.  Or that's what I've heard...  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep... love ICP... In fact, my friends thought I was beyond crazy because I went alone.  Noone else wanted to see them so I said, "F*ck it" and went by myself.  Within 15 minutes I met some people and we ended up hanging out all night.  I even waded into the mosh pit and I was about 15 from the front until I realized that, at 28, I am a little old to be hanging onto a post for dear life, getting elbowed by teenagers, and gasping for air all just to get sprayed with Fagel.... Good times, man!!  [:D]
View Quote

You should try being in your 30's and going to see Fishbone or Body Count. LOL
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]
You are not alone I have a friend who is in her 30's, absolutely beautiful,hard worker(3 jobs), owns her house,2 cars, great personality. However she is a loser magnet, can't find a decent guy. I told her if I was single she would be off the market real quick!!!! hang in there you'll find someone decent.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
MM,
You sound awesome to me!  Shooter, pool player, body builder, church goer, well-educated, outdoorsy, etc. sounds just about perfect to me.  I don't understand the problem.  All of my life women like you have always been taken.  I guess there is hope for us nice guys after all. [:D]

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Getsome, that wasn't the real Imbrog|io. That was the cyber-squatting troll that took Imbroglio's name before he got a chance to get it himself.

View Quote

Uh, it really was me that started the thread not the troll.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Edited because for some reason only fragments of the reply came through.

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, I've got an idea.  How about setting up an AR-15 personals forum for you single guys and gals. I think it would be extremely cool.  Of course, it would be a TROLL magnet and probably lopsided...  
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Good points Miss Magnum...

I met my now deceased wife at a country and western Bar....she was there with her sister havng a beer and shooting pool...  No I don't think men think your a slut because you frequent bars..  Now I know a few goodie two shoe type people that would in a heart beat..  but screw them...  no pun intended  [;)]  

I must say that....."and I actually hate to say it"  but if I see a knock down gorgeous girl. no matter where I happen to see her..  in my mind a guy automatically categorizes her to a level compared to himself....  a 10 automatically make s a guy think..  she will be hard or maybe impossible to get a date with... but  If I see a tattoo on a girl... she automatically gets droped a several notches and is more obtainable now if she wasn't before....  Not trying to be a shithead.... that's what a tattoo says to me...  no matter how stupid it sounds ....

You don't by chance have any tattoos do you ?    ;)  

Good luck with your man hunting.... Better to be happy and alone than with someone and not....    :)

realist out
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck all you singles out there.
A relationship is hard work, but I wouldn't trade places with y'all.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]
nice guys always finish last, no matter how u feel someone will always shit on u and ruin your life, stay single and avoid the pain. i gave up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#26]
MM-

I still have a single brother who has my machine guns (and will be getting more until I finish school and move to a free state).  

He is one of those "nice guys" who are a little too shy to introduce themselves to girls.  

If you remember my posts from the old board, he is still in Alabama.

AFARR

PS--I wouldn't be adverse to giving a gun or two as a wedding present, hint, hint!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
MsMagnum,

Why do you care what any son of a slut says
or thinks?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh, it really was me that started the thread not the troll.
View Quote

I know. The troll replied, then Getsome replied to the troll. The troll's reply was deleted while Getsome was replying, then Getsome deleted his reply to the troll's reply.
Got it?[:)]

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but here goes.  I keep seeing reference to the word 'slut'.  Why is it that if a guy beds lots of women he is called a stud, manly, etc, but if a woman beds lots of men she is called slut, whore, and other bad names.  Why the double standard?  I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  I am not some liberal by any means, I have plenty of AR's, and am just an old, fat, Southern white guy.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Miss M,
You KNOW I like you and I respect your feelings, but what do you expect? Consider the source. This is a site where a lot of the members have few, if any, interests other than assault weapons.

Honey this isn't the "Enlightened Men Seeking Meaningful Relationships with Intelligent Women" site... and it's never gonna be either.

I'm glad you're here and expressing yourself and your true feelings. I really am. But can we take this offline and talk about guns for a change?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn Drew.

I'd have figured that you of all the other folks on this site would've figured this one out.

You don't "know"??

(BTW- The guy you busted as being Timmy!!!!!!?
Remember him? I got an UZI from him in a person2person trade. Nice guy.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I actually chose the topic heading in response to Imbroglio's thread.. I'm not actually depressed about this situation.  I get frustrated sometimes, of course, but I get over it and in the mean time I am very content on my own.  

I really wish sarcasm could convey across the internet.... [:D]

Oh.. and the nice guys finish last thing?  My theory is that it is not the fact that they are nice, it is the fact that they don't stand up for themselves (in relationships) and women lose respect for them when that happens.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
The problem is many people equate being nice with being a wimp. You can buy your woman flowers, look here in the eye when you speak to her, avoid looking at other women while in her company, treat her like a lady, listen, etc., without being viewed as a wimp if you are consistent in what you say and steadfast in your beliefs. If you have strong beliefs about a certain topic, voice your opinion. If she disagrees, fine. At least she knows where you stand. You can disagree with just about everything she says and still be gentleman.

It is true that certain women are attracted to bad boys. They view kindness in a man as a form of weakness. These women commonly have family issues. Perhaps they are estranged from their fathers? In any case, why waste time with women like that? Life is too short.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Wanted to add that as much as I would like to say appearances don't matter, they do.  
View Quote

It's been my experiance that body type doesnt matter much to women. at a scrawney 132 pounds, a fat 175 pounds, or a buffed out 162 pounds, my luck with women has remained pretty constant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#35]
MissMagnum, all I have to say is that the "Slim Anus" song by Insane Clown Posse is about the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life.  If you haven't heard it before try to get it from somebody or download it, FUNNY STUFF!
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey MM!!!!

Did you catch those funny angry mama letters on the ICP website?

In case you missed it, here's my favorite one.

Dear Psychopathic Records,
I am writing you this as a concerned parent and American. When I see the content of your website, it makes me sick. Clowns are supposed to be symbols of happy childhood's, not the evil and perversion you spread! I see you evil clowns killing people, mutilating people, murdering people. How long do you think you can get away with this? I am forwarding your website to the proper authorities, and it won't be too long before you are safely behind bars (too bad we don't have a death penalty in our state!).

Sincerely,

[email protected]
View Quote

Did this mama never hear of John Wayne Gacy?
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#37]
What always cracks me up is that it's the people who don't listen to this music normally who get offended by it.  The rest of us just see it as a riot. [:D]

Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I am 4' 11" 360 lbs. I have had no luck with womenz at all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally posted by Miss Magnum:

Yep... love ICP... In fact, my friends thought I was beyond crazy because I went alone. Noone else wanted to see them so I said, "F*ck it" and went by myself. Within 15 minutes I met some people and we ended up hanging out all night. I even waded into the mosh pit and I was about 15 from the front until I realized that, at 28, I am a little old to be hanging onto a post for dear life, getting elbowed by teenagers, and gasping for air all just to get sprayed with Fagel.... Good times, man!!

Hah...you ought to try being 30 and at a Mike Ness or Social Distortion show.....there are some old timers there too, but man...lots of kids, which I think is good.

Almost got my ribs broken by a 17 y/o power skin at a Biohazard show that I worked at a while back.....

Now try going to a Gwar show anymore......forget about it.  

As far as the whole man/woman thing......I agree that there are a WHOLE lot of women out there that aren't happy unless they are unhappy....abuse=normal relationship to them.  ESPECIALLY in Richmond, god knows I've dated a bunch of them, never ended well.

Luckily I met my wife, who also grew up around here, and while she had some wild times as well, she and I knew it was right.

I think a lot has to do with family life growing up.....if you have a stable family..i.e. mom and father love one another and the kids, not divorced...that helps tremendously.  I was one of the minority growing up that had both original parents in the home, my wife also.  We both noticed the difference in our relationship when we started dating.

All I can say is.....hang in there!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top