Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 9:13:15 AM EDT
more views coming

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p5dc372de643022ca90bee078b8f2926b/fe0b233e.jpg[/img][[img=right]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p443e2ea5bc4c24a918e4f9246eae2bb8/fe0b22d2.jpg[/img=right]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pc8df622c975d5a6b4021cc9f1ef09f32/fe0b2274.jpg[/img]

Sorry about the double post, my ISP or computer or something is slow to load today, it's screwing things up for me.

Also I am sorry for the picture quality. I used the e-mail setting on the camera and everthing looks like it is on an angle.

The whole project was made out of 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch thick tubing and angle iron.

The side uprights are 1 X 2 inch, the horizontal can supports are 1 1/2 inch square tubing, the angle irons under the cans are 1 X 3/16inch.

The angle iron feet are 1/4 X 2 X 21" long,  the can bumpers are made out of oak, and the top is made out of 1 1/2 X 12 southern yellow pine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
That is pretty sweet.  Makes we want to buy that MIG welder I always wanted and go find some angle iron.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That is pretty sweet.  Makes we want to buy that MIG welder I always wanted and go find some angle iron.
View Quote

Ditto, that thing is pretty cool. Much better than the stacked mess I've got over here. Sometimes I feel like just leaving a particular gun home if it's ammo is at the bottom of the pile....Those damn things get heavy in a hurry![%|]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, the first one was the hardest ... now when do you go into production and Can I place an order?
Seriously, how much would it cost you to build one and what would you charge? I would seriously be interested in one of those!

John
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
looks very nice!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll take one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks a little more organized than my method:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/039/jC/f6/OV/e583851.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
How much for two? :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys I couldn't do another one right away, because it is mostly stick built, it takes more time than it looks. The steel I got for free, but I would imagine it would be in the $100 range. The wheels were are about $30. I bought a 12'piece of yellow pine for $16, although the top is only 47 inches long, (I need the extra for another project.) For those that weld, the steel could be gotten at a salvage yard for much cheaper and you could get by with a thinner guage, but I like the heft of the 3/16, it feels commercial/industrial.

IF you would like I would be glad to post the exact dimensions so you could have someone around your home build one for you.

I didn't keep tract of the time I had in the project, I worked on it when I could. I would estimate from the time I started cutting the steel to weld up about 6-8 hrs. As has already be mentiond, the first one includes extra time for changes to the original concept. I tried 3 different ways to make the can bumpers before I settled for the oak ones, they don't scratch, they look good and they're strong. They are held on by two 1/4 inch carriage bolts.

Thanks for the nice comments, I wish I could make one for all those that want one, but really, to create something nice, without the aid of a jig, it takes time.  Happy New Year everyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.  I like the wheels on the bottom.  I have 4 shelves built like the photo below.  One is this size and the other 3 are only 4 shelves instead of 5 like in the photo.  Together I can store 89 cans.  Give me till the spring and I'll need another shelf. [:D]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/oJ/GT/IS/ba70753.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks nice. Very nice finish. Good use of minimal materials.  The only thing that bothers me is the amount of weight being carried by the two vertical supports. I recomend some lateral support due to the amount of weight carried so high.  (but, if it is only for 'sitting' there, I guess it's ok.  [:)]

Anyway, you have inspired me, I'm going to make my own cart, but it will be twice as big, and I'm thinking of making it enclosed and lockable doors on it.. if and when I finish it, I'll post it here!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks a little more organized than my method:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/039/jC/f6/OV/e583851.jpg[/img]
View Quote

(laughing hysterically)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Am-O-Tramp, that is some sweet work. Have you considered adding a pair of cross-members to the rear, diagonally opposed top to bottom? That would greatly add to the strength, especially when moved as 7IDL suggested.

Man, I would buy a couple if you built them!

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Why did you use individual can supports, rather than a shelf with a stop in the back?

It would have been easier to build, added some strength, and allowed the use of variously-sized cans?

Not that I'm complaining (it does look nice, and the wheels are a great addition), but I don't see a reason to take the time for individual carriers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why did you use individual can supports, rather than a shelf with a stop in the back?

It would have been easier to build, added some strength, and allowed the use of variously-sized cans?

Not that I'm complaining (it does look nice, and the wheels are a great addition), but I don't see a reason to take the time for individual carriers.
View Quote

I guess because it keeps them super neat and lined up. But it does limit the use of other cans. I have some smaller cans and some larger rocket type cans. Of corse mine all all stacked up half-assed.

That rack looks sharp and looks like it cost a fortune in time and $$.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very nice.  I like the wheels on the bottom.  I have 4 shelves built like the photo below.  One is this size and the other 3 are only 4 shelves instead of 5 like in the photo.  Together I can store 89 cans.  Give me till the spring and I'll need another shelf. [:D]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/oJ/GT/IS/ba70753.jpg[/img]
View Quote

7, just curious what type of platform you have under your safe. Did you make it? I was thinking about ine but was worried the safe might be too heavy to get it up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top