Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 5:36:44 AM EDT
For Christmas I received the Lord Of The Rings trilogy book set.  I've read sci-fi like the Star Wars and Star Trek novels before, but this is my first attempt at the world of fantasy.

I seem to remember that The Hobbit was published before LOTR.  Do I need to buy and read The Hobbit first for LOTR to make better sense?  I don't know much about them, but I think they are related some how.

Thanks,
[<|:d>] LL [<|:d>]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to read The Hobbit first, but the Hobbit is a great read on its own.

I think the Fellowship of the Ring has a prologue that tells the history of the Ring, and how a Hobbit came to possess it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd get the Hobbit first, because you won't know why Bilbo has the Ring to give to Frodo/  You could start with The Fellowship and back track ala Star Wars, but I think it makes more sence to go chronological instead of Prequel.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you really wanted to go chronilogical you would need to read the book of lost tales etc.  However they are very difficult reads (IMHO).  As it stands the hobbit is a MUST READ to start..
The movie did it in a few seconds but you really need to understand the whole of middle earth.  You also understand more of Gollum and Gandalf.

Not to mention its a great read!!  If you have kids read it with them.. I read it to my kids as a bedtime story.,
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto the above. Read the Hobbit first...
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, should read "Hobbit" first..then the trilogy....then, when you're totally a Frodohead, go back and read "The Silmarlion".
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Read the Hobbit first, it's a great book and explains a lot of concepts used in classic fantasy.  The Hobbit should be considered a primer for sword and sorcery while the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a more epic read.  

With these books safely in your bag of magic tricks you'll be ready to visit and judge other realms and writers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, THEN read Harvard Lampoon Press' satire, Bored of the Rings.  Under no circumstances should you consume any beverage you do not want to shoot out of your nose, while reading Bored of the Rings.

The Hobbit is definitely NOT as serious a book as LotR, and I find that irritating in some respects.  If you think that may distract you, feel free to skip it.

Reading it will allow you to make more sense out of the sub-headings one gun mag keeps using, such as "what has it got in its pockets?" and similiar bits of silliness.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The hobbit was written for children, originally.  It was published because the publishers son liked it.  I havae read part of the Silmarlion (spelling?), but the whole Tom Bombadillo thing was just... odd.  Also, I'm not sure what it was but Tolkien published another book which turned out to be an analysis of the language of Middle Earth, which I think was a modified form of Old German.  Go Hobbit, Trilogy, Silmarlion, then anything else you can find.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Start with the Hobbit, thats how I was introduced to the whole Middle Earth storyline. It explains the geography, races, magic and myths in depth and helps set the stage so you can jump right into LOR. And there is Gollum, Gandalf, Bilbo, the Shire, Mt Doom, the Giant Eagles, Goblins, Trolls, Elves and Orcs. And Sting, I think it was called, the glowing and quite powerfull little sword created during the first age, lost for millenia until Bilbo found it in the troll treasure hoard.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, should read "Hobbit" first..then the trilogy....then, when you're totally a Frodohead, go back and read "The Silmarlion".
View Quote

I'm glad someone mentioned The Silmarillion!  That is the order I read them as well!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Being a D&D player and a former Hobby store clerk i would also recommend the Middle Earth RPG books, but only if you want maps and background information on the various races. its been a while since i've seen the books. they are probably out of print now and could be picked up cheap (if you can find them)

There was also a Middle Earth card game, but they would be useless for info. only good if you want to play cards with 14 year olds.

A Ressurrection of the Middle Earth RPG will probably take place, but considering the cost of new D&D books; would cost more then your willing to spend. There is also a PS2 game coming as well.

Lib of the Lance
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad someone mentioned The Silmarillion!  That is the order I read them as well!
View Quote

I tried and tried, but I could never get past the first few chapters of the Simarillion.  Once in College I read the Hobbit and the entire trilogy in 5 days, but the Silmarillion always gave me trouble.  Maybe I'll try them again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW anyone who doesn't know.  The guys from Led Zeplin were heavy into Tolkien and LOTR.  Go back and listen to a few tracks and you'll find alot of references to the "Misty Mountains" and such.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BTW anyone who doesn't know.  The guys from Led Zeplin were heavy into Tolkien and LOTR.  Go back and listen to a few tracks and you'll find alot of references to the "Misty Mountains" and such.
View Quote

"Misty Mountain Hop" was always one of my old favorites.

"Ramble On" makes a reference to Gollum.  "Gollum and the evil one, crept up and slipped away with her..."

While listening to "The Battle of Evermore", I can easily imagine the great battles toward the end of the trilogy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Just saw the flick last night. GREAT.
Start with the Hobbit and then hit the trilogy.

Dave S

BTW, Mr. T's best friend was C.S. Lewis.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Sooo, what are you trying to say, that I should read The Hobbit first?

LOL.  Message received loud and clear.

Thanks for the input.  Now off to the book store.

[^] LL [^]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top