Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/25/2001 10:09:00 AM EDT
Been needing a new one for a while and the time is NOW! Budget is around $1k. Looking for best possible picture quality, lots of flexibility. Always had SLR's for film cams so wouldn't mind continuing the tradition. First one that caught my eye last summer was the Cannon D30. A little over budget, but prices always come down, right? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 4:37:00 PM EDT
Well if you are not stuck on that budget, cannon does make one about 1500, but I don't remeber the model. It is still an slr that takes all the cannon slr lenses. If you aren't stuck on cannon, nikon, kodak,and I think fuji all make a 1100 to 1500 slr as well. They are all around 4 megapixles or so. As for the non-slr ones, several of the nikon cool pixs ones are highly rated, and range just under 1000. I just recently ordered the nikon 995. If it turns out well, then I will have saved about 200 dollars from thegreatdealstore.com. I still haven't gotten it yet, so hold off till I find out if they are any good. Their phone people suck, but if they deliver, it will be fine by me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2001 5:14:31 PM EDT by gus]
Well, I posted that just as I was beginning a little web research. Now that I realize the D30 is still $2500 with no lenses(!), I've been looking at the Nikon 995 and the Olympus E-20N. One thing that I HAVE learned is that I need to go somewhere where I can handle the cameras in person before I spend the money. Digital true SLR's (as in changeable lenses) are still a little too spendy for me right now. Anyone else have a recent model in the $1k range? I'm hoping to buy this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:05:55 AM EDT
Gus: Certainly not trying to argue with you, you know what you want. However, to my mind it’s not worth spending an enormous amount of money on a digital camera (unless you’re going to use it professionally), since it’s going to become obsolete so quickly. I used a Canon FT-QL SLR personally for over 30 years. I just bought a Canon S-30 digital (admittedly not in the same league) to replace it. The S-30 will probably be obsolete in 4 or 5 years, if not sooner. IMHO digital cameras, like computers, are almost disposable. I purchased a couple of digital cameras for my agency, one in 1996 and one to replace it in 1998. Both cost about $800; both are totally obsolete now. Thank goodness it wasn’t my money! Granted the newer digitals probably won’t become obsolete quite so quickly. I also question the value of an SLR since the display screen on any digital gives you much the same ability. Not quite the same, but close. If I were in your shoes, I might go for a Canon G-2 (which I almost bought, I ultimately decided it wasn’t worth the money for what I needed). The G-2 is bit cheaper than what you’re looking at, but it does have interchangeable lenses – though as I recall they’re pretty limited. However, it’s a 4 megapixal camera; it sounds like you want a five megapixal one. Circuit City carries the Olympus E-20 if you want to handle one. It’s certainly too expensive for me! I just noticed that BestBuy has the Minolta DiMage 7 (5 megapixal) camera on sale for $999 (on their website, at least). However, I don’t know anything about this camera. Good luck. It’s fun shopping for a camera but at a grand or so, you don’t want to make a mistake!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:53:40 PM EDT
Thanks 199! I've been doing the research thing now for a couple of days and I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion as you did. The last time I looked into digicams was last summer (2001) and just since then they have changed tremendously. I find myself creeping towards the less expensive models, knowing that in a couple of years the new ones will be much better and probably cheaper than this years cheapos. Now the problem is that there are so many choices that I'll need several days more of research to find the one I want. And they say guys don't like shopping..... I'd still like a good quality and flexible camera, so let's change the parameters to $500-$800. Any additional recommendations? FWIW, I've always had Pentax SLR's and lenses. I'll still use film for some things, since I'm going to pick up a scanner this weekend too.
Top Top