Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 6:41:50 PM EDT
It finally came, right on Christmas eve, I wouldn't think it'd be this close. $379.95 + 12 shipping, not too shabby for a big battle rifle. The rifle came in a cardboard box, with extra cardboard around the receiver. It arrived in excellent condition, thankgod for UPS. There are no accessories, just one 20rd mag other than the L1A1.
Like Harlan@FAC said, it's made on Century's own receiver. There's been controversy regarding Century's rebuilt using Hesse receiver. I guess CAI decided to do their own. The receiver looks as good as any other I've seen. Machining looks well done, no sharp edges or sloppy cuts. The receiver's marked Century Arms, Georgia VT, R1A1 Sporter 308 Cal. I assume that's because they used one of those R1A1 South African parts kit. The most interesting is serial# CA000XX, now if that's not a low serial I don't know what it is. I sure hope there arent' going to be any problems, as it's a first run rifle.

The rifle looks very clean, no signs of a "parts gun". They either reblued it, or the parts were never used. The new receiver matched up with the barrel, lower extraordinarily well. I really suspect they must have reblued everything. The condition of the metal parts is EXCELLENT! The bored's clean, even my FFL guy was amazed.

If there're any negatives, are the plastic furniture. They look "cheap". The handguard has some molding flash left off, and the two halves aren't mating perfectly. Hopefully I can go over it with Xacto knive to make things smoother. Same thing with the pistol grip and butt stock. The pistol grip itself was alright, but the there's a piece of metal running down the front of the grip, except it stays on top of the grip, rather than becoming flush inside of it. I don't know if that's the way it is with L1A1 grips, or just a bad pistol grip. It just felt wrong with it being an extra piece under my fingers.

Butt stock must be aftermarket too, because there's no swivel for the sling to attach to (although there's front sling hook on the barrel). I might have to drill and buy my own. There's a huge flat-head type screw there, must be how the rear pad is attached to the stock. Did L1A1 ever come with cleaning kits? Where would it go? I suspect the original issues would have a spot for cleaning kits in butt stock.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the rifle, at least from the appearance alone. I haven't a place to shoot it today, but after cycling and dry firing it, I'm confident it'll perform well. The magazine itself was a little beat up, I may have to pick up another one day. But I'm just glad it's the replacable piece that's ugly, not something the rifle. It's an INCH receiver, so I assume I would need an Inch mag too?

Also where would one get a manual for L1A1? I have no clue how to break it down for maintenance.

If not for the sale at AIMsurplus, I wouldn't have bought the L1A1, especially one by Century, but this has changed my opinion most definitely. Century's own L1A1 inch receiver looks very well made, I won't hesitate recommending any of my friends getting a Century L1A1 rebuilt, especially if you can find one using the new receiver.

Merry Christmas too all!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that it does indeed have a Hesse Receiver.  

Is it an L1A1 or an R1A1?  Big difference!

If it is an L1A1, it will more than likely be made on British parts.  

Here are some easy to spot L1A1 features:

- Big comfortable selector switch with a protrusion preventing movement past fire.  (L1A1's were semi only)  

- Big ears to protect the front sight, and the sight itself will resemble a standard screwdriver.

- Rear sight will fold down.

Wooden stocked L1A1's did have a compartment for cleaning gear (just like a Lee Enfield), whereas the plastic stocked ones didn't.

You most likely have a metric mag well. turn the rifle over and look at the front of the well and locate the notch where the mag fits.  if it's fairly small and kind of rounded, it's metric.  If it's very large (almost a 1/2 inch wide) and rectangular, it's imperial (also called "inch").

If it's not an L1A1, don't dispair.  A good FAL kit is a good FAL kit!  The L1A1's are generally in better shape as they were never used in battle.  R1A1's have seen some combat!

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here are some easy to spot L1A1 features:

- Big comfortable selector switch with a protrusion preventing movement past fire.  (L1A1's were semi only)  

- Big ears to protect the front sight, and the sight itself will resemble a standard screwdriver.

- Rear sight will fold down.

Wooden stocked L1A1's did have a compartment for cleaning gear (just like a Lee Enfield), whereas the plastic stocked ones didn't.

You most likely have a metric mag well. turn the rifle over and look at the front of the well and locate the notch where the mag fits.  if it's fairly small and kind of rounded, it's metric.  If it's very large (almost a 1/2 inch wide) and rectangular, it's imperial (also called "inch").
View Quote

Where's R1A1 made?  I thought that just signifies South African rifles.  It's has the big selector, big sight ears, and fold down rear sight (peep hole), and also fold down bolt handle.  It also has a large 1/2" wide rectangular mag lock notch.

thanks for pointing those out to me.  Is there anything else that I should look for?  the most important to me is that it fires. ;)
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one of these new Centurys myself and wish I hadn't sold it. It is definitely not a Hesse receiver. Century is making the new receivers themselves or has a new contractor making them. They are very high quality. If your gun says R1A1, it should be a metric receiver built with an inch parts kit. To me, this is the best of both worlds. You get to use the more common metric mags, but you should also have the fold down sight and fold down cocking lever. Enjoy it, mine shot like a dream right out of the box. I set the gas setting on 4 and just let 'er rip. Never a hiccup. Damn, why did I sell that thing....?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, that is indeed a L1A1!

I find it unusual that whoever is making these domestic receivers for Century is putting Imperial mag wells in them.  Perhaps they are doing this because Imperial mags are fairly common now, unlike some years ago.  All L1A1s (in true military form) had Imperial wells, but on the receivers they build them on here, most assemblers had at one time chosen to go with metric wells for mag availibility reasons.  

As a last point of verification, look at the mag.  Does the front catch appear to have been welded or brazed onto the magazine, or does it appear to have been stamped out from within the mag.  If it has been stamped out, it will look like a flat bottomed cone.  The base of the cone will rest in the notch in the front of the receiver.  This is metric.  If it looks to be welded on and is rectangular in shape, it is imperial.  Some people have been grinding down Imperial mags to fit metric wells, so my welding statement above isn't 100%.

Basically can you easily pick up the mag with two fingers on it's front catch?  If you can, it's definately Imperial.

If it is indeed Imperial, that's good and bad.  It's good as the fitting is much more durable.  It's bad because mags that aren't a bit beaten up are hard to find.  Be glad those are available.  A while ago, even those were hard to find.  

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on joining the FAL world. A word of
caution is needed: FALs are highly infectious,
and you could find yourself selling all your
ARs to buy more FAL stuff. Heh, heh, heh.
I do hope it functions, though. You might
have to play around with the gas adjustment.
Spare parts are readily avaliable, if you find
any worn parts.  Magazines are five bucks used.
I bought them, and they are fine. (metric mags)
Check out Tapco or DSA.  I bought the plastic
furniture from Tapco, and it is o.k. You can
get better quality from Penguin.  Ammo from
Portugal works good, as well as British Radway.
I would skip most of the South American ammo.
Anyway, like the others wrote - enjoy!  John
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
On the L1A1's the last round bolt hold open wont function as the Brits and friends did not use it, its fairly easy to reactivate by adding the roll pin back into the bolt hold open device and trim to engage the riser at the back of the mag follower.
Fals are highly infectious and reproduce prodigously in the safe seemingly by themselves I started out with one CAI L1A1 like you and just built My 4th FAL and have been advised by my therapist to build something else for a while (M1A this time).
Get prepared to smile alot, as well as over extend every credit card you have sell the wife and kids (although due to FAL files the wife and small child market is flooded right now --try a pawn shop or gunshow) or deal in fake crack cooked up out of household goods found in the kitchen or an old takeout container after selling the wife. The qwest for good cheap .308 goes on night and day.
Dont know if yours came with a buttpad or not the CAI narrow furniture has a tendency to wear out its welcome on your shoulder after a few hundred rounds. Watch out for the CAI Handguards the screw passes through the gasblock and gets HOT on mine the screw insert melted and pulled out of the plastic but CAI sent me a new set for free and I fired almost 400 rounds straight out before it got that hot--partly my own fault.
Best of luck with it email for pics of the BHO reactivation details.
Merry Christmas to you !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top