Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/24/2001 9:01:28 AM EDT
We went to the old deserted police reserve range outside Ridgecrest and did some shooting. I've been after her for some months to go shooting, and she finally gave in. I had to make a trade; you go shooting with me, and I'll go shopping with you. We now have another pro-gun member of the California electorate, boys. We started out easy, with a few safety rules, a little gun-handling information, and some marksmanship, then straight to shooting. Standing, at 50 yards, she was putting .22 Shorts right into the life-sized quail target. Similarly, she riddled the turkey target with accurate shooting. Must be nice having fine motor control and a lower c.g. We then progressed to .22 LR's and an H&R .410--She's a natural. After a few dozen rounds of .22 ammo, I asked if she was done, or wanted to shoot a little more. She reached for more ammo, shooting till her arm was too tired to hold up the rifle. On the way home, I told her, "Sis, now you have enough barebones knowledge of firearms to protect your family from some criminal. If you would like to, we can give pistol shooting a try also. I bet you will like it." But Erasmus, only a .22 and .410 shotgun?! Yeah, guys, we did pretty well just to do that. She isn't a Rambo. We can work up to higher powered guns later. ----------- So, has everyone taken a non-shooter to the range lately? We need every new shooter we can get.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:12:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:31:34 AM EDT
My nephew, who as a news man had accompanied Klinton on several trips, I took him to the pit......worked his way up until a magazine from the AR.......HAHAHAHAHA He talked about it for days.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:55:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:20:14 PM EDT
Good show, Erasmus! You did the right in starting her out with a .22, IMHO. A .22 is a gentle introduction to guns and shooting, and allows the new shooter to focus on breath control, posture, trigger control, sight picture, etc. without the distracting noise and recoil of higher power firearms. She can always graduate to them later.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:02:11 PM EDT
Top Top