Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 6:55:24 AM EDT
This is wierd. I just fired up the laptop with a new PCMCIA V92 modem using an earthlink dial up account.
For about the first 12 hours every time I logged on it came up with a connection speed of 115 KPS.

I thought that perhaps this was some software glitch until I started surfing. It Smoked!! I mean web pages were just flipping up like they came off of my hard drive. Almost zero wait. I'd compare it to my T1 at work.

I updated the drivers to XP and now I'm back to 49K. I tried uninstalling the drivers to the old ones but no avail. still 50K or under.

Does anyone have any Idea how I got those 115KPS speeds? I want them back!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I did this with my USR Courier a while back, basically you are seeing your port speed, not your connect speed..  I used the 3COM drivers instead of windows 3COM drivers it switched back to normal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is wierd. I just fired up the laptop with a new PCMCIA V92 modem using an earthlink dial up account.
For about the first 12 hours every time I logged on it came up with a connection speed of 115 KPS.

I thought that perhaps this was some software glitch until I started surfing. It Smoked!! I mean web pages were just flipping up like they came off of my hard drive. Almost zero wait. I'd compare it to my T1 at work.

I updated the drivers to XP and now I'm back to 49K. I tried uninstalling the drivers to the old ones but no avail. still 50K or under.

Does anyone have any Idea how I got those 115KPS speeds? I want them back!
View Quote

I beleive 115k is the rate at which your comport is locked, or the maximum data throughput on that com port.

Ian
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, I've seen that before too.  I'll bet it was incorrectly measuring the com port instead of the modem speed.  The instances that I'm familiar with was when I used modem drivers that didn't exactly fit the modem I was working with.  When I went to various speedtest web sites on the internet, I was still in the standard 40-51kilobit range and my downloads of files on the internet were still in the 3-5 kilobyte range as a 56k modem would be.  Once I finally found the correct drivers, then the "115k" measurement became and changed to my online connection speed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I kind of figured that it was  reading the max port speed. What has me baffeled is that the modem just smoked. It was dramatically faster than it is normally. I messed around going to some known slow sites (i.e. Brownells) and these pages came up in a blink. Even this site was clicking open like it coming off of my hard drive.
Wierd.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top