Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 9:54:47 PM EDT
OK, on Wendsday night, I was at the mall, doing a little Christmas shopping. I purchased from several different stores, totaling to about $150 bucks. Earlier that day, I had gone into the bank to deposit a bit of cash in there. I ask for my balance, and I discover that there is $15 bucks missing from my account. Me being in a hurry (late for work), I decided I'd deal with it later.

BTW, this is with a debit card, you know, where the money gets taken from the checking account.

So, the next day, I call up the bank, and say WTF is up with the $15 gone, and they ask the normal questions, and file a fraud charge on some company named MSS (They gave me their phone #, I called them up, and first thing they asked was for my CC#, so I hung up; it was a recording). The bank said they would cancel my card number, and send me a new one.

So today, at 10:15PM I call up the bank's 1-800 #, to check my balance, and see if I've gotten the $15 dollars back. I not only find that I've gotten the 15 back, but the previous $150 I used is still remaining in the account!!!!

Normally, debit transations (in my experiences) have taken less than 5 minutes to charge my checking account. This is the only time that it hasn't.

I would of talked to a rep. to see if I had any transactions that had not gone through but, I missed them by 15 minutes.

Who think's the charges will go through?

Who think's I got $150 bucks worth of free stuff?

Heh.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
How's that?? I used the card before I called the bank, and had the card number canceled.

They stated to me that the transactions that have not gone through yet, will go through.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How's that?? I used the card before I called the bank, and had the card number canceled.

They stated to me that the transactions that have not gone through yet, will go through.
View Quote

Edit to say I didnt even call the bank to have the number canceled the same day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just called up the bank, and they said "Nothing withstanding on my card right now"!!!!

Meaning, the 150 aint gonna go through!! HEHEHEHEHEH!

lol

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experiance how fast the transaction goes through depends on the store. I've had some debit transactions take a couple of days. just because you run your card though the reader and and connect to a bank, dosen't me the money is instantly taken out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
They will find the problem eventually. Nothing is free. The $15 could have been a accidental double charge from somewhere who later corrected the problem. Go over your monthly statement VERY carefully.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
So, let me understand this.  You got screwed out of $15.  You rightfully got pissed.  Then, you took the opportunity to screw someone else out of TEN TIMES that amount?  If you don't mind me saying, you're jerk.

You require complete honesty out of everyone you deal with, yet you don't hold yourself to that same standard.  Hypocrite.

The right (ie honest) thing to do would be to clear up the misunderstanding and have the appropriate funds subtracted from your account.  Whatever you do, it reflects on your true character.  Would you prefer to be known as an honest person or an opportunist preying on whatever misfortune someone else may have?  You decide.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, let me understand this.  You got screwed out of $15.  You rightfully got pissed.  Then, you took the opportunity to screw someone else out of TEN TIMES that amount?  If you don't mind me saying, you're jerk.

You require complete honesty out of everyone you deal with, yet you don't hold yourself to that same standard.  Hypocrite.

The right (ie honest) thing to do would be to clear up the misunderstanding and have the appropriate funds subtracted from your account.  Whatever you do, it reflects on your true character.  Would you prefer to be known as an honest person or an opportunist preying on whatever misfortune someone else may have?  You decide.
View Quote

No, you are wrong. here is how it breifly happened..

Wendsday, I find out 15 is missing from account. I do nothing about it because of lack of time.

Later Wendsday night I go to mall and charge up 150 with my debit.

Next day, thursday night, i call the bank and say wtf is with this 15? They file a fraud charge, and say they must cancel my card. I told them I used it a whole bunch the day before, and they said that everything will be fine, and it will go through.

Today I call bank, they say i have no withstanding charges on my card, and the 150 hasnt been taken out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
And?  So, what?

If the $150 is never subtracted, are you just gonna walk off with the money?  Just because a mistake was made, that does not morally get you off the hook.

It really is amazing to me how little people will sell off their integrity for.  You sold yours for $150.  Is it worth it?

I know your type.  You'll use whatever mental manuvering you can in order to justify what you've done.  Stealing is stealing...active OR passive.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If someone uses a debit card in my store we have to process them as credit transactions.  That means the money does not come out of the account immediately.  In other words, if you don't take care of the outstanding charges you will be stealing from the merchant.  And if it happened in my store you would be getting a visit from the local P.D.  My advice would be to let the merchants in question know what is going on and let them know that they will get their money as soon as the situation is straighted out.  Most of them will be understanding, but if you don't you may open yourself up to a lot of grief.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That happens to me all the time. It will fix it self when the bank opens on Monday.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Heh.
View Quote

Not me,

I believe it is called theft.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The merchant's bank has probably not processed the transaction. As soon as they do and it comes back as a bounce, they will trace it and find that the account has been closed. At that point you will probably find $150 missing from your new account.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the "be honest and do the right thing" team...
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another vote for the "be honest and do the right thing" team...
View Quote

I will second that. Do the right thing, if not they will catch up with you and make you wish you did.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Charges on a closed account constitutes fraud.  It doesn't matter whether you closed your account before or after you incurred the debt.  Take everybody's advice and fess up.  If you come forward and tell the merchants what is going on they will understand, but if they have to hunt you down it will not be a pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The account was NOT closed. At NO TIME did I state that my account was closed.

The debit card number however was canceled.

I'm not going to withdraw the money until I get my bank statement.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel guilty...
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh you are so lowwww! What goes around, comes around!!!....and yours is coming in a big way. I would suck it up, my friend, and call the bank and straighten it out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone remind me never to deal with this guy on the equipment exchange!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It is called theft by unlawful taking
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Heh.

The account was NOT closed. At NO TIME did I state that my account was closed.

The debit card number however was canceled.

I'm not going to withdraw the money until I get my bank statement.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel guilty...

View Quote

Hey dumb-ass,

You are the one who implied theft.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I still don't understand something.  Other than the morality of th whole thing, why would you post something like this on the WEB?  Basically you've admitted to theft and fraud.  Bank fraud, none the less, which would make it a Federal offense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok everyone together.........LOOSER.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey! Come on, this is not my error.

And for those of you who wouldn't deal with me on the equipment exchange, this is totally different.

I would never rip a seller/buy off, espeically one from this board, or any board. Plus, that would be illegal.

I don't believe I've done anything illegal. What are the odds that all 5 or so stores I bought stuff from made an error?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#28]
No matter how you try to justify it, theft is still theft.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Your actions are casting a less than positive light on your character.  To put it a little more bluntly, you are making yourself look like an amoral, two bit hustler.  If you want to keep any shred of a decent reputation here, march down to the bank first thing Wednesday morning (assuming it is closed 24Dec), and fix the problem.
Until you do that and stop making excuses because you are embarrassed that you didn't get approval from everybody here, I withhold judgement on your true character.  You have another chance.  Make it right this time.
View Quote

Doesn't matter now. Just dialed up the bank (automated thing), and the charges went through. :( lol.

Weird how they said no charges were withstanding on my card however...
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good boy [:)]
View Quote

Poor boy [%|]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
and furthermore... a felony fraud charge would end your association with personal ownership of firearms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#35]
The card processing business is more complicated than we realize.  I heard it from a guy who works for one of the major card companies.

I recall there are companies called "consolidators", and if I remember correctly, they put together large amounts of transactions from many merchants and then route them to the banks.  

Perhaps in the Christmas rush, they got behind.  Though it seems instantaneous when the POS spits out a receipt for us to sign, there is probably a lot going on behind the scene.

These moral arguments are interesting, but you may find them academic if the $150 hits your new account in the next week or two.

Possibly, human intervention is involved in examining the charges on the blocked account and getting the OK ones transferred to the new account.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:28:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey! Come on, this is not my error.

And for those of you who wouldn't deal with me on the equipment exchange, this is totally different.

I would never rip a seller/buy off, espeically one from this board, or any board. Plus, that would be illegal.

I don't believe I've done anything illegal. What are the odds that all 5 or so stores I bought stuff from made an error?
View Quote

The reason I said that is because when you're dealing with a private person that you have never seen or met, like on the E.E., you are already taking a chance on getting ripped off. When the ONLY thing you know about someone is the fact that they allowed a mistake to become fraud, on purpose, then it makes one less than anxious to deal with that person. See what I mean? It doesn't really even matter that the charges went through because your intent was made known.
Glad to see that the charges went through (I never doubted they would anyway), but I'll wait until someone else has posted a positive note about you in the feedback section before my "trust" is restored completely. Trust is much easier to keep the first time than it is to restore after it has been lost. The E.E. runs almost entirely on trust.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ok everyone together.........LOOSER.
View Quote

Yes, you are very loose.[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top