Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 5:32:25 PM EDT
OK folks that are kicking around the idea of going to the convention. I know that drving is a definite alternative. However, some may think about flying instead. To those that are flying, are you gonna be bring firearms with you? Are you willing to go thru the hassle of checking them in at the counter in the airport?

Well I have an idea. With the right amount of people, we may be able to charter a private aircraft to fly us to IL. No hassles at the counter. No long lines at the airport. And it may be just a few dollars more than taking a commercial flight.

Here's a site:
[url]http://www.jetaviation.com/locations/dallas.html[/url]
Here's the plane I was thinking about:
[url]http://www.jetaviation.com/charter/charterusa-kingair90.html[/url]

Well I could be just talking out my ass here, but you never know. Throwing things out and seeing if it sticks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
LT's idea isn't entirely stupid, especially if we can charter the plane from Phoenix to DFW or Houston, and then on to some backwoods airport in Illinois. Since the largest concentration of AR15.commers apears to be in Arizona or Texas, this may actually work.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the luggage capacity of those small planes?

You guys would definitly arrive with the most style points (and the best story if the pilot lets you fly armed!), buy you're not going to a chess tournament.  EDITED to add, lots of rifles, pistols, mags, ammo, etc.  And maybe even a bug out kit. [:D]

Hope you guys get it to work out!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking of e-mailing these guys and getting some specifics. Maybe in the New Year. I believe they have weight restrictions. I don't think we can put on too much ammo. However, firearms should not be a problem since chartered planes are used for hunting trips all the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LT's idea isn't entirely stupid, especially if we can charter the plane from Phoenix to DFW or Houston, and then on to some backwoods airport in Illinois. Since the largest concentration of AR15.commers apears to be in Arizona or Texas, this may actually work.

I love it when a plan comes together.
View Quote

There might be a way people from different parts can charter a plane as a group. I.E. Phoenix folks can charter one plane, DFW can charter another, VA folks can charter one..etc. Maybe if we do it with the same company we can get a discount or corp rate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
While an airplane might work, why not a charter Bus?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While an airplane might work, why not a charter Bus?  
View Quote

Hmmmm....did not think of that....I'll check Greyhound and others. Thanx.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Charter busses come highly recommended.  The Lovely Bride and her womenz shooting friends the DIVAS regularly take chartered busses from Dallas to shooting events in Houston, the YO Ranch and other places.

They get some pretty fancy custom coaches.  Door-to-door service and lots of room for baggage and heavy shooting stuff.  And NO HASSLES!

I don't know the regulations for buying ammo in Illinois but local residency and a FOID card may be required.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Arock may have just raised a good point.

Can non-IL residents possess firearms in IL without the FOID?  What does the FOID allow or disallow?

Don't mean to tromp on your thread, LT, but....
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't mean to tromp on your thread, LT, but....
View Quote

Hey, tromp away...afterall this is a discussion forum.

BTW: Here's some bus charter I was looking at.

[url]http://www.coachusa.com/services/charters/charters.cfm[/url]
[url]http://thebusbank.com/buses_road_touring_40w-lav_wb.cfm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
How much beer do you think you could drink on a bus from TX to IL?  Figure enough McD and Taco Bell stops, and that would be one heck of a fun trip.

I can see you guys rolling in!  One side of the bus dedicated to ammo, the other for kegs!

Hey, bring up some Shiner Bock.  I've never tried any and heard it's good.

Heard at the first annual BRC, "LT, I'll trade you 20 rounds of Q3131A for 6 Shiners."  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
i think a nice bus is a great idea. i took one from here to st paul. thats just a few hours, but it was big, had good climate control,had nice comfortable reclineing seats, and sevral TVs. lots and lots of storage. you could bring all the guns and ammo you like, ride in comfort, and pay WAY less then a plane. im betting this bus thing could definatly work out on a multi city scale.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much beer do you think you could drink on a bus from TX to IL?  Figure enough McD and Taco Bell stops, and that would be one heck of a fun trip.

I can see you guys rolling in!  One side of the bus dedicated to ammo, the other for kegs!

Hey, bring up some Shiner Bock.  I've never tried any and heard it's good.

Heard at the first annual BRC, "LT, I'll trade you 20 rounds of Q3131A for 6 Shiners."  [:)]
View Quote

First of all, that a lot of pissing and pooping. If we do get a bus, I will make sure to pack a six pack of Shiner for you, however I might get mugged on the bus. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Here's a site:
[url]http://www.jetaviation.com/locations/dallas.html[/url]
Here's the plane I was thinking about:
[url]http://www.jetaviation.com/charter/charterusa-kingair90.html[/url]
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you could find something cheaper than that.  My family looked into something like this to go to the Texas/OU game.

The problem is that you either have to pay for the plane to sit idle while you're at the event, or pay for it to fly back to it's base empty, and come back to get you empty... like paying for four flights.  Maybe there is a national charter group that will let you make two "one-way" flights.

The bus sounds cool though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, I like the way you guys think.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well since I'm just hanging out next week, I will get some quotes and post it. If all else the DFW crew might arrive in IL like rock stars on a tour bus. HEHEHE
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Gosh C&L that sounds like fun!  Only how's it gonna look for you guys with DonR and me pullin' up the rear of the convoy with our battalion of kids?

These things must be considered.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#18]
... I'm flying in from Phoenix on Southwest or America West airlines.
... No problem checking weapons at all.
... Probably ship my ammo UPS a week or so beforehand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top