User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2001 7:59:33 PM EDT
I'll start with:

Heat
Way of the Gun
The Professional

I'm looking for movies in which the gunplay is relatively realistic (at least for Hollywood), and the shooter knows his stuff (and none of the "shoot the guy with a 9mm and he is blown through a brick wall" stuff either).

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummm.....

AFARR, The Professional was far from realistic.

My vote would go to Hamburger Hill.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Take your pick of most Eastwood and Bronson films....
Most recent I would have to say "The Matrix" especially the scene when they get off the elevator.

John
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ooops I missed that part about realistic....Take the Matrix off the table.
I would have to say Saving Private Ryan is a good one and Sniper with Tom Berenger.{sp?}

John
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Proof of Life.
Ronin.
Heat (but it's a given)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, I know The Professional was unrealistic, but at least he cleaned his guns in them, and I liked the flick.

I'm looking to bulk up my DVD collection with a little Christmas cash.

I have Quigly (definitely have to agree on that one), got the Matrix, Ronin, Proof of Life.  Got SPR on video, but will eventually get the DVD.

Will look for Hamburger Hill.

Being an FAL fan, I was thinking of "The Wild Geese" but I can't find it on DVD yet.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't think the shots that were made in the movie "Sniper" were realistic? The first time I watched it was with my Uncle who is a trained sniper. He said at the time of the movie that in a few instances they were to close! I'm sure there must be guys here on this board who have this type of skill?

John
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I liked "Last Man Standing".  Especially the part where he's sitting at a table that's covered in rounds and loading mags.  You never see anyone actually loading mags in movies these days.

The gunfights weren't very realistic unless Tacgirl was the one that taught him the "two gun method" of shooting [:D].  (Now why in the hell did I just remember her????)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Two good non-heat movies
CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
(Does justice for snipers, wronged by Sniper)
Terminator 2
(Any movie with a MiniGun is good)

Jerry

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Oldie but goodie--the Wild Bunch. One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I kinda liked the replacement killers. although it wasn't very realistic. it does have some nice 9mm carbines though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Talk about unrealistic! They got the shotgun and .45 effects right but the Mausers and Springfields! Treated them like they were shooting BB's! Trying to hide from them behind a turned over picnic table...

Although the IDEA of the final scene of the Wild Bunch was great! The first time I saw it (when you dont have time to look for the errors) I thought it was a BLAST!

If they make a film about Mazur e Sharif that must of been what it was like for Spann and his partner when the rebellion broke out.

For that matter some parts of the newspaper version of Blackhawk Down read like the last scene in Wild Bunch- if the film will be like it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh hell yes. Proper M1903's and M1911's. M1897's that slam fire. Spanish Mausers, Maxim machine guns. This movie and Bonnie and Clyde came out the same year and raised the bar for action movies.

"I'll hold em here until hell freezes over or you say different"

Bo Hopkins(in "The Wild Bunch")
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Best Quigley with a few others like Carbine,Winchester 73,Sgt York, Predator IMHO of course!
VM
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Full Metal Jacket was a gas. "get some!"

Others include:
Proof of Life
Dirty Dozen
The Longest Day
Heat (natch)
Ronin
Killing Zoe
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"The Fast and the Dead" - not for realism but how the whole story revolved around a series of fast draw contests to the death.

Most of my favorite movies revolve around guns - "The Matrix", "The Usual Suspects", "The Bridges of Madison County", Eastwood's, Bronson's, John Waine's, even the Rambo's.

The movie doesn't have to be real, just fun.
View Quote

The Quick and the Dead.  I like Gene Hackman, but can do without just about everybody else who was in the film.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Way of the Gun
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The Color Purple.

Oprah gets pistol whipped real good by a cop after she mouths off to the Mayor's wife. I guess she was ok after she got out of jail though because she went back to Harpo and helped run the juke joint.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Cross of Iron

Cast:
MG42
Degetyrev
PPsH

"Do you think they'll ever forgive us?  Or forget us?."
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quigley Down Under. Just something about that Sharps rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Lots of good movies mentioned here. Maybe add "The Unforgiven" to the list.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Outlaw Josie Wales.  "Missouri boat ride"
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The Killer....with Chow Yun Phat and directed by John Woo.

Predator....with Arnold.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:52:14 AM EDT
[#28]
As good as The Outlaw Josey Wales is, I never understood why he didn't just walk over and cut that line for the ferry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Falling Down (just because)

Commando (that scene where he hits the gun vault makes me drool)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#30]
“Apocalypse Now” (Redux)

“Snatch” (Been a few, did it have any over the top scenes with a gun?)

“Pulp Fiction”, the scene where they blow the kid’s head of accidentally is pretty realistic.

“Three Kings”, Which I think was an anti-gun violence movie done in such a way as not to shove it down your throat at the expense of the rest of the movie.  

“Glory”, Been a while as well but I think it was pretty realistic with the gun scenes.  I like the part where they are learning to shoot.  

Non-realistic gun movies:

“Silverado”

“The Three Amigo’s”
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Well guys, bring on the flames.
I don't like the way Hollywood depicts guns in almost every movie. With the exception of war movies, guns are shown with far more destructive power than is realistic. (Die Hard and the Matrix come to mind) While it looks cool to you and me, you must remember that a great number of people that aren't in the gun culture see this crap, and think one guy with an MP-5 is pure death machine. (Chuck Schumer, Liberman, Clinton, and Sara Brady come to mind.)  Movies like these helped in large part to create the weapons bans in '89 and '94. They may look cool, but they have greatly reduced our liberties and enjoyment of our sport. Movies have a far reaching power in the formation of peoples views on popular culture. I don't want any of my money going to fuel the anti-gun propaganda machine. Don't make it easier on them!!

Mike

Flame away!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the old ones:

Wild Geese - R. Burton, R. Harris, R. Moore play mercs in the Congo, you can't beat that!

Killer Elite - R. Duvall, James Caan, Bo Hopkins, a classic

Cross of Iron - a must see

Lost Command - Anthony Quinn, Alain Deon, the French Foriegn Legion in Algeria

Predator - my favorite Mini-Gun movie,

Dark of the Sun - Rod Taylor, Jim Brown, mercs in the Congo

Proof of Life - stupid in some parts but a good movie

Full Metal Jacket - best VietNam movie IMHO

Spambo
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Enemy at the Gate
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Silverado: a modern day Classic
Shane: Alan Ladd at his best
Few Dollars More: "You know Ramon..if you want to kill a man..you better aim for the heart.."

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: Awesome Gun fight at the end of the movie
Quigley Down Under: Nothing like a Sharps Rifle!
Absolutely hands down Best Western Film with a Sharps Rifle.

Valdez is Comming: Burt Lancaster and a Sharps Rifle. Not the greatest movie..but the first movie that I saw as a 12 year old that made me really want to get a Sharps.

Big Jake: John Wayne meets new fangled technology.

The Shootist: John Wayne's Swan Song.

The Searchers: Another Classic and Awesome John Wayne Film

The Man who Shot Liberty Valence: A film in which John Wayne loses, Jimmy Stewart Wins, and Lee Marvin..plays an awesome bad guy who uses a reverse draw holster.

The Sands of Iwo Jima: Gosh! Another John Wayne Film! Watch the Duke take on the Japs.

Trinity is my Name: the FASTEST Gun Slinger of them all.

The Unforgiven and Pale Rider. Clint Eastwood..

Young GunsI,Young Guns II: Billy the Kid and LOTS of Shooting!

Tombstone: Awesome Awesome...Western. Van Kilmer plays Doc Holliday to a "T": "I'll be your huckle berry!".

The Quick and the Dead: Had a fun time looking at all of the different types of revolvers.

The Wild Bunch: A fine Sam Peckinpah Film

The Magnificent Seven: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson..

Enemy at the Gates: WWII Sniper Duel in a City.

Killing Zoe: Bank Robbery: French Style
Heat: another classic
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#38]
1.  The Shootist. (The Duke at his best)

2.  The Exterminator (Revenge flick)

3.  The Dear Hunter (The escape scene)

4.  THE DOGS OF WAR
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]
"2. The Exterminator (Revenge flick)"

I didn't know anybody else had ever heard of this flick.  Must be 20 years since I've seen it.  The paperback version of it is out in the garage.  Gotta love it when he coats the scumbag in honey and leaves him for the rats!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Commando (that scene where he hits the gun vault makes me drool)
View Quote

Maybe, but it's not worth trying to stomach the rest of the movie.  I watched it recently after not seeing it since I was like 11 (the gun vault scene gave me wood back then), and it gave me a headache.  The gun vault scene is still cool, but everything else screams bad 80's flick.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#41]
And here the rise I thought I would get out of everybody would have been over my pick of Falling Down. Shows just HOW BAD of a movie Commando really is. But the vault is to die for.

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#42]
El Mariachi
Magnificent Seven
Dances with Wolves

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Trinity is my Name: the FASTEST Gun Slinger of them all.

View Quote

Wasn't there a sequel to that one?  "They call me nobody" or something like that?  Those were the best! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#44]
My favorites:

Hard Boiled - Directed by John Woo.  Chow Yun-Fat (Replacement Killers)as Tequila, a hard boiled Hong Kong cop out to put a ruthless gang leader responsible for the death of his partner away.  More awesome gun scenes with awesome action than you can imagine, and possibly one of the best gun movies ever made.

Leon, The Professional - Directed by Luc Besson.  Jean Reno (the frenchman from Ronin) as a quiet NYC hitman who takes a little girl (Natalie Portman) who's parents are killed by a rogue federal agent (played supremely by Gary Odlman).  Not exactly realistic, but an excellent film with gun play, and one of the best bad guys ever.  Also, one of the movies where you'll see a gun cleaned.  Just make sure to get the "Leon, The Professional" version, and not just "The Professional."  The Leon version is the international cut, which is a bit different version of the story than was released in the US, and better in my opinion.

The Unforgiven: Clint Eastwood in one of the best modern made cowboy movies ever.  Not just a gun movie, but also a deeper look into the dark side of being a gunslinger.  The last 15 minutes are worth the price of the movie alone, especially the speach on killing a man.

Honorable metion: The Rock, Criterion Collection.  It has several featurettes, including a 30+ minute documentary on gun inaccuracies in the movies done by a tactical instructor.  The only time you'll ever see this coming out of Hollywood.

I'm sure there are others, but these are my three favorites.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And here the rise I thought I would get out of everybody would have been over my pick of Falling Down. Shows just HOW BAD of a movie Commando really is. But the vault is to die for.
View Quote

No way!  Falling Down is the absolute best "having a bad day" movie, and I think just about anyone can identify with it.  Yesterday was a "Falling Down" kind of day for me, and I even said exactly that to one of my co-workers.

And who hasn't wanted to brandish an UZI at a McDonalds because they've just been told they are no longer serving breakfast? [}:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Someone has mentioned it before, but "Way of the Gun" is probably the best gun-handling movie ever made. Not enough people have seen this one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Dirty harry movies.

His 44 mag doesn't shoot more than 6 rounds without reloading.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Gotta agree with Quigley and cross fire trail!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Matrix.  When he walks througtht he metal detectors strapped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#50]
A list like this is'nt complete without "Red Dawn".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top