Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 11:50:15 AM EDT
From [url]http://www.gertzfile.com/InsidetheRing.html[/url] :

"Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld is well-known for having the strength to do one-armed pushups — a feat he used to perform for money. We have learned of the defense secretary's prowess in another physical exercise.

According to an associate of the defense secretary, Mr. Rumsfeld also holds an impressive personal best record for sit-ups. He once did 1,047 sit-ups at one sitting."

Ooooo-RAH! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The world record for sit-ups is held by my former CO, then Colonel Wayne E. Rollings.
He set the record when he was a Major.

It is 40,000 sit-ups in 16 hours.

That breaks down to 82 sit-ups every 2 minutes, without pause, for 16 hours.
(think how hard that is just for 82, then repeat that again, and again, and again....)

THAT is worth an OOOOOOOH Rah!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Note the missing fingers.
[img]http://www.fks.mil.no/battlegriffin/img/72dpi/220299/rolling1.jpg[/img]

[b][size=4]50,000 SIT-UPS[/size=4][/b]

[b]As soon as you meet the 58-year-old general, this astonishing figure seems just a little less incredible. He radiates determination and perseverance. He told us of his career and the unit he commands, II Marine Expeditionary Force, which is based in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Proud of the uniform
"I joined the Marine Corps at 19. I wanted the hardest and best outfit in the American military. I didn't even think about becoming an officer," he recalls.
 "Sure I was proud of belonging to the Marine Corps," he exclaims. "We've always stressed high morale, discipline and pride. Your unit is like a second family, and the glue holding us together is the fact that we travel together on exercise around the globe. As an officer in the Corps you're a role model for those under you."

16 hours straight...
The general started his pursuit of the sit-up record in 1969, when as a sergeant he read in the camp newspaper about a sailor at his base who had done 3,000.

"'Wait a minute!', I said to myself, 'this is a Marine base, and we're letting a guest take the record! Now I've always kept in very good condition, and I knew I could beat him. Two days later, I did 5,000," he smiles.

This went on through the seventies. Any time anyone outside the Corps broke the record, General Rollings took it right back. In 1981 he stopped at the incredible figure of 40,000 sit-ups in sixteen hours, without a break, an average of 42 a minute. Afterwards the rules were changed to allow breaks, and the record is now 60,000.

"Some younger Marine now has an opportunity to break this record," the general laughs. He still tries to do at least 500 a day and 200-300 push-ups.

Field commander
General Rollings has put himself an impressive career together, always taking on the toughest and most physically demanding jobs within the Corps - diver, parachutist, for example. He is also highly decorated - he holds the Navy Cross and has two Purple Hearts for being wounded in Vietnam.

"I like it best in the field," has says, "and I hope I'll continue to be a field commander for the remainder of my career." [/b]

Force Recon, Stud.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!

I'll assume that Gen. Rollings could also do the one-armed pushups. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top