Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 6:10:35 AM EDT

Saw this on the news , wonder if they suspected a stowaway (UBL)??

TEHRAN (Reuters) - U.S. speedboats attacked an Iranian-registered Saudi oil tanker in the Gulf on Wednesday injuring two people, Iran's state television reported.

Iran's Foreign Ministry summoned the Swiss ambassador, whose country represents U.S. interests in Iran, later on Wednesday to deliver Tehran's ``strong protest'' and demand explanation, it said.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#1]
When did the US Navy start using "speedboats" to attack shipping?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
With only limited details to go on...it's hard to say what boats they are talking about but I suspect that the "speedboats" of which you speak are the Navy's 36' Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB).  They are used extensively to support SEALs and other special ops requiring this type of armed go-fast.  They don't "attack" shipping, rather they are used to insert a SEAL team or other personnel to inspect the ship.
Here is a hyperlink to a description of the boats:

[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/rhib.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What, does Iran think our tanks don't use oil or what? The best oil is [b]free[/b] oil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#4]
This would certainly qualify as a "speedboat" as well :)

[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/mark_v.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of the navy putting a 30 mm from the Apache onto a small "Speed boat".  I can't remember the name of it now, but if I can fin it I will add it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Speedboats attacking tankers? Hmmm... sounds vaguely familiar, BUT it was the Iranians in speedboats (so-called "Boston Whaler" types) attacking OUR tankers in the Persian Gulf about 12-13 years ago. If the story is true, I guess the foo is on the other shoot, and the Iranians just don't see the irony of it all...

--------------------------
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- --GEORGE ORWELL
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It wasnt an Iranian tanker.  It was a Belize flagged tanker on its way to Iran.  Looks like they thought it was trying to break the sanctions put on Iraq.

[url]http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=worldnews&StoryID=466923[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
(In a Maxwell Smart voice):
"Mr. Ambassador, we were checking for illegal shipments of Schmidt-Rubins, of course."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top