BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 6:17:39 PM EDT
Cold-turkey does not work.

Anyone else successfully quit?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I quit....cold turkey. Sorry, wish I could be of more help. It takes a lot of will power.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the patch for two weeks then quit cold turkey.
Good luck and you have to want to quit!

I've been smoke free for 2yrs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used the patch for two weeks then quit cold turkey.
Good luck and you have to want to quit!

I've been smoke free for 2yrs.
View Quote

Trust me,I want to.

These things make me sick,but I feel like a slave to them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I was smoking 2 packs a day.  The trip up the stairs was killing me.  Thats what made me quit.
The hardest part is my girlfriend still smokes.  Sometimes, when she lights up, it's all I can do not to gag from the smell.

The hardest part is the first 5 to 10 days. Keeping busy helps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother quit throught hypnosis, but it didn't work with my sister. Good luck and imagine all the cash for guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
zyban, zyban.
I did it, and it worked for me. Be clean for 2 yrs.
Only took it for 3 weeks, one week while I was smoking, two weeks stopped.
Never looked back, and I had lots of $$$ more to spend on my new habit, guns,guns, guns!
I am up to one every three months now.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
wheezehound (sorry, couldn't help it), have you tried the patch yet? Even with the patch, IT's HARD for several days.

I never thought of tattoo's idea. Who knows, it might work.

Keep trying!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
zyban, zyban.
I did it, and it worked for me. Be clean for 2 yrs.
Only took it for 3 weeks, one week while I was smoking, two weeks stopped.
Never looked back, and I had lots of $$$ more to spend on my new habit, guns,guns, guns!
I am up to one every three months now.
c-rock
View Quote

I heard that stuff causes seizures.

Well, smoking causes lung cancer and heart disease so I guess I should choose the lesser of 2 evils.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with C-Rock-Zyban is the way to go---no craving for nicotine.
I have not smoked in 5years and tried everything.
Good luck
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been hypnotized 3 times, tried the patches 4 or 5 times, tried the gum, tried to dip, tried Zyban+ patches+ gum. I'm still smoking. I'm a highly stressed person and I have smoked to keep my calm for 20 years.

If you find something that will work short of sticking a .45 in my mouth instead of a cigarrette, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
18 months bedridden with emphyzima with inhalers and an oxygen mask cured my mother of her smoking addiction.

If you can't do it for yourself then think whether or not there is some family member is counting on you to be there?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I still remember when Treetop and I were talking about this in the old AR15 forum.

I quit June 29, 1999 and never looked back. No matter what patch, gum or pill you take if you do not have the will to quit, you will never be able to.

Trust me on this. I was smoking for 17 yrs and I tried everything but could never seem to do it. Then one day, I just did it.

The first 48 hours will be very hard but go to the library, see a movie, or do something in a place where smoking is not allowed.

What really helped me was the thought that I do not want my kids to take up smoking so I should lead by example.

I hope that you will succeed.

riddler
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I quit a little over two months back.Cold Turkey,and it does work.
Just resign yourself to the fact that IT IS OVER!
Tell yourself,YES I WILL SUFFER,AND I WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER!
Then live with it,in time it becomes easier.
Tough it out and take the pain,don't break down and give in like some whinning little sissy ass bitch.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got friends who tried to quit but they started again to stop the voices.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Head on off to your favorite MD and get a perscription for "Wellbutrin (sp?)".
This stuff is sold as a stop smoking aid under another name that costs twice as much but it is exactly the same drug as "Wellbutrin."

Part of the addiction is to the small lift we receive from each cigarette.  The drug takes care of the lift.

Only other suggestion is to begin excercising a day or two before your "stop" date and keep on excercising after you quit.

Don't know why this works but it sure does.

By the way, many MD's will work in the patch with the Wellbutrin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear cancer cures smoking! [:p]

Sorry, couldn't help myself... what's been said is generally true for most smokers.  You've got to want it bad enough, be truly committed to stopping smoking, accept that it is hard, and even that you might relapse a time or six.  Patches work for the cravings, but not for the habit of smoking itself- you need distractions, as the urge to smoke will pass after a little while (until the next one).  Keep at it, one cigarette at a time.  There are Smokenders or other support groups in your area, just look in the phone book or dial 411.  Try these online resources to educate yourself.

The best resource is QuitNet:  

[url]http://www.quitnet.org/[/url]

The ACS has excellent materials to help:

[url]http://www.cancer.org/eprise/main/docroot/PED/ped_10[/url]

So does the AHA:

[url]http://216.185.112.5/presenter.jhtml?identifier=134[/url]

Good luck!  It's hard but also important to know that many, many people have kicked the habit (including me, after 16 years of Pall Malls!).
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cold-turkey does not work.

Anyone else successfully quit?
View Quote
I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for 25 years, quit cold turkey, 6 years ago, it does work, but you have to WANT to quit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Fear is the greatest motivator. If you get scared enough, you'll quit. ONLY THEN!
About six years ago, I started having chest pains. Went to doctor. He checks me over, puts me on a treadmill for  12 minutes. Thought my lung would bust! Doc says my hearts good, might be a good idea to cut down on the smokes if I wanted to have another birthday. Put 'em down that day & wish I'd done it at least five years sooner. I now have "chronic obstructive pulminary desease" (COPD). I think that's what they used to call Emphesema. No known cure.
Sooner or later, one way or another, everyone quits. Be kinda of nice to have some say so in the matter, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
1.) You have to really, really want to quit.  

2.) You have to be completely fed up with the inconveniences of buying and carrying cigarettes, lighters etc.

3.) You have to be concerned about the possible health problems and obvious peer pressures surronding your addiction.

4.) You have to be tired of wasting money on "weeds rolled up in paper".

15 years ago I had all four of the aforementioned conditions.  One day I went cold turkey after serious thought about my situation.  Best thing I ever did - haven't had one since.  It wasn't easy, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually it doesn't. I was mortified when Larry King interviewed Jim and Sarah Brady. She described how she lights up walking to her car after a chemotherapy treatment for her lung cancer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I quit 23 years ago. I substituted pot for tobacco. It worked for me. I've since become a Christian and have sworn off all drugs. I think it may have been a early medical use of marijuana. Pot was much easier to quit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I quit a 19 year habit that was at 2 packs of Marlboro's a day on the 6th of December.

I chewed gum, slurped tic tacs (pack after pack after pack) ate food (small meals many times a day) and got shit faced drunk the first 3 days LOL! Clean out the house of smoke crap first! No ash trays no other smokers!

Nibble nibble nibble and when you hear the smoke voice in your head tell it to SHUT THE FUCK UP. The "Rational Recovery" method of addiction recovery works wonders with smoking :-)

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually it doesn't. I was mortified when Larry King interviewed Jim and Sarah Brady. She described how she lights up walking to her car after a chemotherapy treatment for her lung cancer.
View Quote

You just have to give it long enough...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish I could help more, but I quit COLD when Luckies hit $2.00/pack (I was at 2 packs/day and holding...)

One thing you might like, look for a Stephen King story called "Quitters, Inc."   Nifty little read, I think it's less than 100 pages.  Goes quick, and gives you some ideas...

"Love.  Let the philosophers and mystics debate its existence, pragmatists know it is the most pernicious drug of all."

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Good timing.
I wrote about this a few months ago when my Doc told me I have the beginning stage of emphysema.
So, I write this after just having a smoke...

I'm about ready.  The part about [i]WANTING[/i] to quit is true.  I want to quit now.
The place and how to do it is planned.  When will be a moment of opportunity.  At that point I will put them down and walk away.

I did it with alcohol 11 1/2 years ago.  Just stopped.  Now I have a family, a career and a lot of "things" I wouldn't have had if I kept the old monster.

The weird part is, I now hear and feel the "wheeze" that I remember my Dad had.  On the exhale.  That's the "diminished lung capacity" aka emphysema.  Forget that noise!

The last point is that I have a fundamental character flaw that won't allow me to [i]quit[/i].  
I must [b]conquer[/b].  WIN.

So, I'll buy another rifle when I vanquish the monster!
Good Luck to all of us.

edited for:  I forgot to mention that the price of cigarettes is going to go up $0.60 a pack/$6.00 a carton on 1 JAN 2002.
I [b]HATE[/b] paying more taxes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top