Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 6:11:43 PM EDT
Howdy All,

About a week ago the old system crashed so I'm now back up on-line (with an additional 50 GB of storage!) but having some Outlook Express problems.  Let me explain.

Before I trashed the system and replaced the HDD I did a backup of the "folders" in Outlook Express.  These files have a .dbx extension.  I simply placed them (the folder files) on one of my ZIP drive disks for a backup.

Now that my system is back up and running I simply placed all of these backup files (uncompressed) in the diretory that contains the Outlook Express .dbx folder files.  Strangely enough the "Inbox" messsages have been restored but none of the other folders ,that I personally created, will display.  

I really need some of the messages in those backup file folders.

Any suggestions as to how I can restore those backup folders?

BTW, I am using Win98 and Outlook Express/IE 6.0, which is the same version I had before "the crash".

Help please.

Thanks,
CMOS
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
With Outlook, all you would have to do would be import the backup folder tree and it would appear as a second, new tree in your folder view.

If you install a network and run Exchange Server, all your backups would be intact since it is stored in your mailbox on the server.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
In Outlook, you can sometimes use the Import command to bring the data into folders you've created as in the above suggestion...

Let us know how it works!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Brouhaha's got the easiest solution, right on the money.

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, that tactic sounded reasonable to me but it didn't work.

I created the folder names to match that of my backups but when I copied the backup folder files "over" the newly created empty ones, Outlook Express just created new names as such:

(i.e. old name) - CMOS.dbx
(new name the OE created 0 CMOS(1).dbx

Crap.

Any other suggestions?

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, delete the newly created files, and then rename the original ones with the correct name.

The copy should have promted you to overwrite.  For some reason, it did not overwrite them, and just renamed them on copy.  It should not to that by default.  Possibly your backup program did this?

Either way, just delete the files, and resotre your good ones and make sure they get the correct name.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
FALARAK,

That's precisely what I did.  I created the "new" folders using OE, exited OE then deleted the "new" folder files.  I then copied my "old" folder files into the correct OE directory.  Strangely enough, when I opeded OE again, it created more "new" folder files with that "(1)" added to the file prefix.

Strange though that a few days ago when I originally did this, this same procedure did indeed restore the "old" "Inbox" folder with all its files.  For some reason it's just not working for any of the other folders.

Poo-poo.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
CMOS, call Kelley
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL!  Are you kidding or are you serious?

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Dead serious
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top